Still insanely hungry on 1200 cals/day. Would appreciate advice.

Options
Hi, everyone.

I'm no stranger to MFP or weight loss and have been on (and off) this journey every since I hit my thirties and started having to actually pay attention to what I eat. I'm currently dealing with a new situation, though, and I'm hoping you all might have some helpful advice for me.

In the past, I've always been able to lose weight by restricting and tracking my calories on here, walking a little bit every day, and eating back my exercise calories. Honestly, most days I went a few hundred over the 1200 cal/day MFP recommendation (for my age, gender, and height...I'm 5' 3", female, and currently 35 yo), and every time I still lost weight. The hunger from restricting my calories all of those times was also mild and quickly subsided as I fell into the routine of my new lifestyle. I never quite made my goals those previous times due to some backsliding in my habits, but I never before had the kind of difficulties that I'm facing now.

This time around, I tried to do things the way I always had before: restricting to around, but not exactly, 1200 cals and engaging in mild exercise on a daily basis, etc. I even began picking up weights and lifting them daily, which is a big deal for me, since I really dislike strength training. This went on for a few weeks, and neither the scale nor my waist line budged. I hung in there, though, and now I'm stuck doing a lot of desk work and am not able to do much cardio anymore. As such, for the past four or five days, I've attempted to compensate for my temporarily sedentary lifestyle by religiously sticking to the 1200/day limit and weighing all my food at every meal. The scale finally started to budge—for about a day—and then it stopped again. Despite being discouraged by this setback, I've stuck with it up until this point.

But now I'm growing increasingly concerned about how sticking to 1200/day is affecting my health. I feel like I'm starving all day long, even fifteen minutes after I eat. I've never been this hungry in my life. I've been lightheaded, clumsy, forgetful, and dealing with all kinds of stomach discomfort (hunger pangs and heartburn...yay!) as a result of actually—for once—following the recommended daily calorie intake on here. I'm also not getting enough sleep, because I find it really hard to sleep when I'm hungry. (I'm also up all night peeing for some reason. I seriously wake up once an hour. It's crazy.) All of this stuff is happening even though I'm paying attention to and getting enough of things like protein and fiber in the hopes of being able to feel full for longer. Regardless of what I eat, though, I've been consistently hungry non-stop for about four days now...and the scale hasn't budged. What the heck???

I've got the willpower to hang in there and suffer through this bodily discomfort if I know it's only going to be temporary, but I'm starting to wonder if this is even healthy. Am I hurting myself by following MFP's calorie recommendations to lose 2 lbs a week? Have any of you felt this way sticking to 1200 cals/day? Is this actually normal, and will my body eventually adjust if I just stick with it?

I know these probably sound like dumb questions (especially since I'm not exactly a noob), and many of you will, no doubt, tell me that I need to eat more to get my metabolism up and that I can't lose weight without exercising. It's what I, myself, would have told someone up until now, and that advice did serve me very well for many years. Now, I just don't know. It seems like nothing I do gets results anymore, and upping the ante with further calorie restriction might just be making things worse. Any ideas you all might have would be greatly appreciated, since my own tried-and-true methods are no longer working.

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    How much weight are you trying to lose?
  • NannersBalletLegs
    NannersBalletLegs Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I am currently 180 (my max heaviest) and am hoping to someday get back down to 140 where I was always happiest and healthiest. Even getting down into 160/150 territory like I've done in the past, I noticed huge differences and could probably be happy enough there.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    You could increase the calories and adjust the rate of weight loss. I'm set at 1810 calories per day and a target of 1 lb per week.
  • NannersBalletLegs
    Options
    I haven't been lifting long and kind of stopped doing it since I've been back on here in a more serious manner and have been restricting further than usual for the past 4 or 5 days. Since this new level of commitment/ self-punishment was kind of an experiment for me, I also didn't want to do damage by lifting on too much of a deficit. I also wasn't lifting much, like 20 lbs (10 in each hand). I have, like, no upper body strength, so I've got to start somewhere, I guess. lol.
  • NannersBalletLegs
    Options
    Also, to give you folks an idea of what kind of food I eat while dieting, a typical day usually begins with either scrambled eggs with sautéed vegetables or oatmeal, depending on my mood. Lunch is usually light, a salad or a sandwich depending on my activity level hat day. Dinner is the largest variable since I occasionally eat out with my partner. It's typically a fairly even distribution of protein, starch, and veg, though, whatever we end up eating. I tend to snack on things like fruit, cottage cheese, yogurt, and pumpkin seeds throughout the day. I recently stopped consuming splurge items like pizza, chocolate and beer, and that change alone should have made some kind of a difference!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    Guessing you're trying to lose 2lbs a week? Shoot for 1lbs a week.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I will never ever give up chocolate. I have, however, switched to small portions of really dark chocolate (at least 70%) to concentrate the "chocolateness" and make the smaller portion still satisfying.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Also, to give you folks an idea of what kind of food I eat while dieting, a typical day usually begins with either scrambled eggs with sautéed vegetables or oatmeal, depending on my mood. Lunch is usually light, a salad or a sandwich depending on my activity level hat day. Dinner is the largest variable since I occasionally eat out with my partner. It's typically a fairly even distribution of protein, starch, and veg, though, whatever we end up eating. I tend to snack on things like fruit, cottage cheese, yogurt, and pumpkin seeds throughout the day. I recently stopped consuming splurge items like pizza, chocolate and beer, and that change alone should have made some kind of a difference!

I ate pizza, chocolate and drank beer (mostly wine) all while losing. It's more about how much you eat than what foods you eat for weight loss...

Not to say that nutrition doesn't matter, it does, but you don't have to completely give up those splurges in order to lose.

Although on 1200 calories there's probably not very much room for splurge foods while still getting adequate micro nutrients. With a more aggressive deficit and low overall calorie intake you need a higher percentage of whole foods IMO (for general health, energy and satiety).
  • NannersBalletLegs
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Oh, yeah. I totally get it. I'm all about counting calories when I'm back on the health wagon at least. It's just that I'm naturally more of a snacker than than a meal eater, so if I'm snacking on chocolate and sugary coffees during the day then having pizza and beer for dinner with the boyfriend (with a side of Netflix, haha), then that doesn't leave much room for real food when I actually start restricting calories. I might be able to squeeze those things into a reasonable range of calories, but I would probably feel pretty awful. I have no luck restricting if I don't also change what I'm eating, because of the way I eat, basically. The plight of the snacker, I suppose.
  • NannersBalletLegs
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Guessing you're trying to lose 2lbs a week? Shoot for 1lbs a week.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I would love to lose two pounds a week, but at this point I'm happy to lose one. I used to lose over two pounds a week with a lot less effort only a few years ago. SMH
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    gmallan wrote: »

I ate pizza, chocolate and drank beer (mostly wine) all while losing. It's more about how much you eat than what foods you eat for weight loss...

Not to say that nutrition doesn't matter, it does, but you don't have to completely give up those splurges in order to lose.

Although on 1200 calories there's probably not very much room for splurge foods while still getting adequate micro nutrients. With a more aggressive deficit and low overall calorie intake you need a higher percentage of whole foods IMO (for general health, energy and satiety).

Right, which is why my initial advice to her was to change her goal to 1 lb/week and eat back exercise calories, which is appropriate for her 40 lb total weight loss goal.
  • NannersBalletLegs
    edited August 2016
    Options

Yeah, exactly. I really envy the menfolk and the less vertically-challenged than me who are on his journey. I'd love to be able to still drop weight eating 1800 cals/day without having to do some punishing workout routine to make up for the excess cals. I'd be in heaven! And to think, needing less food to survive would have given me special survival powers before modern times. Instead, it's just this thing that I have to deal with and adjust to and occasionally be sad about. When I was more on the ball with things, I used to be really careful to only eat about 1/3 of what my partner was eating since our default is to share everything equally and I can gain weight just by dividing meals down the middle with him. Meanwhile, he stays exactly the same, effortlessly, no matter what. Sigh.
  • WinoGelato
    Options

Yeah, exactly. I really envy the menfolk and the less vertically-challenged than me who are on his journey. I'd love to be able to still drop weight eating 1800 cals/day without having to do some punishing workout routine to make up for the excess cals. I'd be in heaven! And to think, needing less food to survive would have given me special survival powers before modern times. Instead, it's just this thing that I have to deal with and adjust to and occasionally be sad about. When I was more on the ball with things, I used to be really careful to only eat about 1/3 of what my partner was eating since our default is to share everything equally and I can gain weight just by dividing meals down the middle with him. Meanwhile, he stays exactly the same, effortlessly, no matter what. Sigh.

Did you read my post that I am an inch shorter than you and lost weight eating between 1600-1900 cals? I would hardly call my exercise punishing... I walk and do light dumbbell circuit training.
  • Pandabug93
    Pandabug93 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I would say maybe go up to 1400-1600 calories a day and make sure you are getting a lot of protein and healthy fats.
  • NikkiMichelleS
    NikkiMichelleS Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    My stats are nearly identical to you... 5'3-5'4" (depending on my shoes!), 35 and started last summer at 180#.
    I'm down to 144# currently and still trying to lose.
    I ranged from 1400-1800 calories; somedays were lower, some were higher. I increase my calories every month during TOM; also on vacations I eat even more, up to 1800-200 calories. But I've still lost weight.
    I eat & drink EVERYTHING. Pizza, wine, pasta, steak, hamburgers, beer, chocolate...
    My typical daily goal is around 1400-1500 though, and I try to eat some of my exercise calories.
    I vary between exercise, mostly now is running, hiking, cardio, outdoor activities; at times I've done more weights & resistance training.
    It's been sloooow going with losing, but honestly, I've accepted my varying calories & not adhering to my food plan really messes with consistent weight loss. Some months I can lose 3-4 pounds, other months I lose 1 pound....
    Basically, up your calories to 1300-1500; even light exercise will help "earn" you more calories. Eat most of those calories back
    You DON'T need to be painfully famished & making yourself sick to lose weight. Everyone is different, but given our similar starting points, I hope this helps. Eat more, move more, be patient and kind with yourself. Good luck!
  • The_Original_Beauty
    The_Original_Beauty Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Eat more...I am eating 1800 and losing 2/3lbs per week? For maintenance I am about 2200