Minimum Calorie Requirement? Why?

Options
So I've seen on these threads that generally people recommend women shouldn't go lower than 1,200 calories/day and men shouldn't go below 1,500 calories/day. What is the reason for this? If I'm eating nutritious foods and I feel full, what's wrong if I go lower than that? I'm lifting too so I think I'd be preserving muscle. People always say that your body will go into "starvation mode", but there's a lot of articles I've read that say that's a myth. Any insight is much appreciated.

Replies

• cthakkar1985
    cthakkar1985 Posts: 137 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I've seen recommendations of 1 gram/pound of lean body mass. My LBM is 140lb so I have my macros at 150g protein, 50g carbs (mostlly from veggies/some fruit), 45g fat which would put me at ~1,200 calories/day. This is on days where I'm not lifting. Days that I'm lifting (3-4 days/week), I'm eating 1,800 calories with more carbs. Basically, I'm carb cycling. This seems to work for me, but I'm hesitant to continue given what the general consensus seems to be i.e. starvation mode, etc.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    why would anyone personally choose to eat low ? its not sustainable .. or healthy (lack of nutrients)... and without enough calories there would be a lack of energy...
    believe me the number of posts I've seen with people losing their hair and lacking energy/tired all the time and all because they were eating too low cal.

If your wanting to see muscle growth you need to eat more than 1500 calories - for a guy that will barely fuel your organs let alone promote any type of muscle growth.

The key is to eat as much as possible and still lose imo.

Its not a race, we have to see weight loss as a rest of our life kind of thing - the changes we make now have to be longterm.

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I've seen recommendations of 1 gram/pound of lean body mass. My LBM is 140lb so I have my macros at 150g protein, 50g carbs (mostlly from veggies/some fruit), 45g fat which would put me at ~1,200 calories/day. This is on days where I'm not lifting. Days that I'm lifting (3-4 days/week), I'm eating 1,800 calories with more carbs. Basically, I'm carb cycling. This seems to work for me, but I'm hesitant to continue given what the general consensus seems to be i.e. starvation mode, etc.

And closed diary.

Starvation mode as talked about on the forums is a myth. But there are a whole lot of other valid reasons for not having a large calorie deficit.
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    If some days you are having 1800 and others 1200 and its averaging out to 1500 a day looking at the whole week - and if this is working for you in that you find it sustainable and not torturous - then okay. You're then hitting the recommended minimum.

As others have mentioned, you're unlikely to gain any muscle. But if that's not your current goal, if you are only wanting to sustain muscle while losing fat, then okay.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »

And closed diary.

Starvation mode as talked about on the forums is a myth. But there are a whole lot of other valid reasons for not having a large calorie deficit.

"Starvation mode" might be the wrong terminology. There are a lot of sources that admit that there is such a thing as adaptive thermogenesis. The body can slow down processes to accomodate a long term lower calorie level.

Absolutely! However this only occurs over long (14 weeks plus I believe) and with a severe caloric deficit.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Most people reporting feeling full at 1200 calories seem to log inappropriately, and are probably eating more. If you're working out and trying to preserve muscle, you don't really need to eat that little unless you're very short and very fat.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Eating low one day here and there: no concern. But if you're consistently eating at a very low calorie level, then its very difficult to get enough nutrition to meet your body's needs. Exceptions of course for someone who is very petite and/or under a doctor/dietician's care.
    So I've seen on these threads that generally people recommend women shouldn't go lower than 1,200 calories/day and men shouldn't go below 1,500 calories/day. What is the reason for this? If I'm eating nutritious foods and I feel full, what's wrong if I go lower than that? I'm lifting too so I think I'd be preserving muscle. People always say that your body will go into "starvation mode", but there's a lot of articles I've read that say that's a myth. Any insight is much appreciated.

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    oolou wrote: »
    If some days you are having 1800 and others 1200 and its averaging out to 1500 a day looking at the whole week - and if this is working for you in that you find it sustainable and not torturous - then okay. You're then hitting the recommended minimum.

As others have mentioned, you're unlikely to gain any muscle. But if that's not your current goal, if you are only wanting to sustain muscle while losing fat, then okay.

^^ This
    3-4 days you are eating 1800 = 6300
    3-4 days you are eating 1200 = 4200
    10500 / 7 = 1500 average a day

That works out at the minimum.

I wouldn't chose to eat that low and I'm a small female at 5ft4 but you won't be harming yourself to do so as long as the majority of your calories are used on nutrient dense foods.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    To build muscle carbs and protein are important. Eat healthy sources and some healthy fats.
  • cthakkar1985
    cthakkar1985 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

it's not just about macros, it's about energy, macros, micros.

And as a lifter you should know better.

You are eating about the same as me and I am a woman who is older...and I am a lifter..

I lose on a gross amount of 2k calories...net of 1800 easily, about 1/2lb a week.

Why would you eat so little? are you punishing yourself for gaining weight?

imagine how you would feel with the proper amount of calories in your body while lifting...

Sorry, I should clarify my question. My goal right now is to lose fat (2lbs/week) and preserve muscle. I'm not new to weightlifting, so it will be difficult for me to put on muscle and lose fat at the same time.

Over the course of a month, I typically average ~2,000 calories/day. I allow myself cheat days, I also will eat more on certain days where I'm feeling fatigued and don't have enough energy to lift properly, etc.

My question is more around if it is harmful to have a day or 2 per week where I'm eating pretty low (~1,200 cals). I would never go more than 2 days in a row with eating as little as 1,200. There are just certain days where I'm not lifting, just busy with other stuff, and feel fine eating only 1,200 calories. Is there anything wrong with this?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »

And closed diary.

"Starvation mode" might be the wrong terminology. There are a lot of sources that admit that there is such a thing as adaptive thermogenesis. The body can slow down processes to accomodate a long term lower calorie level.

Yes.
    I was referring to the "if you eat too little your body holds onto everything and won't lose weight" "starvation mode".

• SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh your food? If not, it's very likely you're eating more than you think. A man who lifts should lose weight on an average of 2000 cals/day not maintain on that amount. I suspect you're underestimating your calories.