Morning Coffee and "race" relations

Options
DetroitDarin
DetroitDarin Posts: 955 Member
edited August 2016 in Chit-Chat
Today a black man approached me in a store. He bought my coffee. We talked about politics. We discussed black lives matter. We shook hands and left with respect and a maybe little admiration for one-another. Nobody burned anything to the ground. Nobody called anyone a name. Part of that is because we tended to agree on everything. The rest of that is because we are human beings first, men second, americans third, and (insert skin color) fourth.

Had we not lived in courage to be humans first, we might have never known how similar our viewpoints are.

We both like Prince Ea too. If you dont know him, here's one of his videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0qD2K2RWkc

Replies

• vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Fortunately, you are talking about what I would assume to be two, mature adults.

Unfortunately, after spending part of Monday in Milwaukee, I wish that were the case for everyone. It's a sad state of affairs we currently are living, and I hope people can find enough compassion for one another to recognize the needs of others. But that's just my random, sleep-deprived thoughts.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Newsflash! Two human beings are human!

Wouldn't it be lovely if this could not be seen as something remarkable?
  • DetroitDarin
    Options
    @ouryve - I know right? We blame society - but we ARE society. Can only change ourselves...when we want to. When we decide to.
  • DetroitDarin
    Options
    Louise1491 wrote: »
    The colour of someone's skin doesn't even have a number for me, it's doesn't even come into the equation on any importance list. (Not slating just stating)

Part of the problem is that we are often fine when we all agree but we need to learn to appreciate difference and see the beauty in it, no matter what the difference is. Good people is good people and that should be the only real measure of judgement.

Yep, @Louise1491 - But people must want to view people a certain way. If we change our views we tend to risk having to (Gasp!) Change what we believe!! OH NOES!!!111!

:-/