Glycemic load questions

Options
I've been reading about GL lately and trying to understand if GL gets reduced if you add protein to meals. Example if I eat a banana or bread on its own vs with 75g of chicken or 10g of peanut butter? Or does the GL not move when you do this?

Replies

• CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    GL can be influenced by adding proteins and fats, and how you cook can change it too (for example, roasted sweet potato is higher GL than boiled). My dietician recommended low GL for me and it took me out of the prediabetic range. I found Patrick Holford's website and books invaluable.
  • Return2Fit
    Return2Fit Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I raise my carb intake for the week of a competitive event without lowering fat or protein.
    The day before the event and the day of the event, I will restrict fat and protein.

Afterward, I go out and lose anyway.... :'(
    Maybe you can do better...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is more fat than protein, but the answer to the question is yes. What matters is the overall GL of the meal (and that only really matters if you have IR/blood glucose issues), and foods high in protein and fat will have lower GL, so lower the overall GL of the meal.

If you do have T2D, it can be more complicated, though: http://blog.joslin.org/2011/09/why-does-fat-increase-blood-glucose/ So you'd need to experiment to see how foods affect you and of course work with a dietitian or diabetes educator.
  • powered85
    powered85 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Thanks. No conditions to worry about just trying to be mindful not to spike the sugar.
  • heartofplastic
    heartofplastic Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    powered85 wrote: »
    I've been reading about GL lately and trying to understand if GL gets reduced if you add protein to meals. Example if I eat a banana or bread on its own vs with 75g of chicken or 10g of peanut butter? Or does the GL not move when you do this?

I'm thinking about going on a low GL diet, do you have any meal ideas for me? I'm new to this so I'm pretty ignorant