Running when it's dark

Options
Anyone run outside when it's dark out?

I started running outside in May, and I go out somewhere between 5 and 5:30 am. I am starting to have to push it to the later edge of that time since it is still dark at 5 now. I live in a safe neighborhood, so I'm not worried about criminals, but more about being visible to cars and not tripping on the cracks in the sidewalks.

Anyone run with a head lamp or similar? Reflective clothing? Any recommendations?

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I do. I know I run slower when it's dark, but we have enough street lights that it's not terrible, although it does keep me off certain side streets (the same ones I seek out during the day, as they are more shaded). Cracks in the sidewalk tend to me my biggest concern to. No good advice, but I do love it if I can be out running when the sun comes up -- lovely start to a day.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I actually have a race at the end of the month that is in the dark called Moonlight Dash Pajama Run.. I have yet to do this training in the dark. It is still very very hot and I am conditioned for the very early a.m.

Have you thought about getting something that glows or led lights for the wrists, neck?

edited to add: if you carry your phone (use it for music, etc) have you considered downloading an flashlight app on your phone?

• AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

I do carry my phone but in a flip belt and hate having stuff in my hands while I run. Some of the streets I run on have streetlights but not all. That's why I thought a head light might be good.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    AigreDoux wrote: »
    Thanks!

I do carry my phone but in a flip belt and hate having stuff in my hands while I run. Some of the streets I run on have streetlights but not all. That's why I thought a head light might be good.

My husband jokingly said I could borrow his head light lamp, and as he was seriously not serious as I really did not want to look like a coal miner running down the street!

There are glow in the dark patches you can also buy for your clothes. I have found some, but the designs were not my liking. We have very very dark streets where I like to run, and I just do not run that route unless it is a later in the morning or day time.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    definitely headlight and some reflective gear.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    I run at 5am. I love running in the dark. I tend to run on the road and then move to the sidewalk when a car approaches. I try not to take too many small side streets with limited street lights, but do have to take a few. I also wear reflective clothing no lights though. Your eyes adjust to the darkness and you can actually see better and further if you don't have a light.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Amphipod reflective vest pretty much ends the "be seen" side of the conversation. I believe the newer ones are coming with an LED on the back, too... but my older one didn't, so I will sometimes attach an clipon LED depending on where I'm running.

41-TvTyIaAL._SY300_.jpg

nathan-strobelight-led-light_353.jpeg

I have a petzl tikka + for trail running... no major complaints once I forget it's there.

246281_14075_XL.jpg
  • furmickc
    furmickc Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I run in the dark, and wear a reflective vest and a blinking light on my shirt. This one. https://www.nathansports.com/strobelight-led-clip-5071n

I feel safe that cars will see me, and there are enough street lights for me to see as I run.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Here in Cincinnati we do the Fly Pig Marathon every year the first weekend in may. It's a Dog Run, Pigglet Run [1 Mile for kids], Beer Mile, 5K, 10K, Half Marathon and Full Marathon. It spans 2 days. This past May was the first time I'd every ran half Marathon. I did the bulk of my training in the dark.

I used a Headlamp from Fitletics, i think it was the Vivid Plus, and I have a tail-lamp for my bike that has a belt clip with it. So I'm pretty well lit up.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    It's bright enough here that I don't have to worry about seeing things. But in the dark, I do have a blinky light I put on my ankle. It's from RoadID.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I probably should wear something for visibility, but I don't. I live in a very small town and I rarely see more than a half dozen vehicles on my one hour 5am runs, and one of them is usually the city police officer making his rounds.

I do play it safe by running a route that I am very familiar with, I know pretty much every curb and sidewalk crack on that route! About 1/2 of my miles are on the high school track where I only have to worry about "traffic" if there's an early football practice. Normally, I don't care to run circles, but in the dark it's kind of meditative and relaxing.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I ran in the dark 2x recently, I didn't realize how bad my areas sidewalks are lol
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I run at 4:30 and love it. I wear shoes with reflective, phone case reflective and most of my shirts have a stripe. I run in town so there is light to see and I always run against oncoming traffic. I have a few trails and do wonder about fallen branches when the moon is not out. I do see some runners with bright headlamps but I never have bothered. The worst thing that has happend was I was attacked by something on the back of my head that broke the skin. Because it was dark I worried that it could be a bat. I think it was a bird and I haven't developed rabies yet.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I use a head-torch; Silva Trail Runner II, and if it's night trail I'll carry a spare in my race vest.

High viz tee or gilet sometimes, but not always.

The head torch is strong as when I'm doing night races I need to be able to avoid ankle injury on the trail.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i have a reflective vest and arm and leg bands
    i also have a hat with LEDs on it
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I use 'knuckle lights'.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I use knuckle lights as well, more so for visibility to other cars, along with a bright Diamond Icon headlamp. They also make good fill lights for my headlight, and the multiple lights at different angles helps to pick up bumps and dips better. The knuckle lights I can point in the direction of vehicles as I cross so they can see me well. Even at dusk, the knuckle lights REALLY make a difference in how vehicles react to me.
  • berescga
    berescga Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I run in the dark most of the year in a safe neighbourhood. This is what I do to say safe;

-reflective and bright colored gear. It's important to stay visible. I never buy winter gear that isn't reflective in some way.
    -run with one earbud so I can hear what's going on around me
    -run on bus routes so they are well lit and I don't have to bother with a headlamp. Also busier roads, which are safer
    -always be aware of cars that may be backing out of driveways and super careful when crossing the street. Most drivers at 5-6am do not expect to see people running
    -make sure dh can track me via find my friends or find my iPhone. I always run with my phone just in case
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I do, on a dedicated run/walk/bicycle trail, usually between 10pm and 2am. I have to go about 1/2 mi to get there.

The whole way is pretty well lit (think twilight) with house lights, street lights, and some lighting for the trail. I can see people at least 1/2 mi away and distinguish colors as long as I stay on the near side of the lake. The far side is very poorly lit and I've gotten into trouble there with not being able to see where I was going.

I do wear typical reflective gear (stripes on the shirt, etc) although I don't think they're terribly effective. Someone running/walking has plenty of light to see me a long way off without. The only ones that are a problem are the bicyclists that don't use lights on their bicycles (illegal in my city). Problem is that without more than the ambient light, the reflective gear doesn't reflect very well. I should wear small lights so it doesn't matter, but haven't picked any up yet.

I do run with my phone. I've injured myself running and know better than to head out without one.