convenience quick foods that are low sugar/low sodium

Options
Is there a list somewhere that I could start with, of convenience foods that are low in sugar, sodium and fat?

I don't want a lecture about not eating convenience foods :smile: . I eat fresh foods also.

For this particular thread, I'm asking about convenience foods that are ready-made, or quick to make in the microwave, and foods that are non-perishable that can be kept in your car, or that you can eat late at night if you're hungry. (I don't want a lecture about eating late at night :wink: . I'm doing well on MFP, and losing weight. I just need some more tools. I know there are OTHER tools besides convenience foods. But for this thread, I am ONLY asking about convenience foods)

I'm not diabetic, but I have insulin resistance from PCOS. So I think diabetic foods would be good for me to have around.

So far I only checked a small grocery store near my home, and they didn't have much. I do have a Wegmans nearby, Walmart, Sams (they don't normally have low salt/sugar/fat convenience foods though), Target. There's probably a whole isle at Wegmans.
But I'm wondering what some of you buy. And I'm wondering if anyone could direct me to a list here or online, that they already know of for these kinds of convenience foods.

Thank you in advance for not going on about not eating convenience foods, and eating fresh foods instead. (because as I already said, I am eating a lot of fresh foods also).

Replies

• kindredspirit96
    kindredspirit96 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but I can't think of a thing besides snacks -- nuts and maybe low sugar pudding cups? Salt and sugar are preservatives so most things that are shelf stable are going use them.

Good luck, hopefully someone else has some suggestions.
  • lyndausvi
    lyndausvi Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I don't really eat convenience food for meals only snacks and even now that's rare. So I'm not much help in that area.

However, I portion out individual servings of leftovers using my Food Saver. Sometimes it's a big batch of something, others it just an extra serving of a meal that I can't eat before it would get bad in the fridge. Throw them in the freezer. Then when I want something quick I just pull it out and heat it up. I normally just throw the bag in boiling water for 10-15 mins as I do not like reheating in the microwave, but you can certainly microwave them.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I usually keep some almonds or hazelnuts in my desk drawer at work. Roasted but unsalted is how I like them. You can portion them out based on weight into ziplocs if you want.

I also make croutons out of 100% rye bread. Mestermacher is a good brand that seems to distribute internationally--they might have it in your grocery store in the "healthy section". All I do is cube it into smaller bits and dry it out in the oven. It keeps well and is a comfort food for me, and it's very high in fiber.
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Most of what I eat is quick and easy , food diary is open , see if theres anything that fits you
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    You can't get more convenient than fresh fruit. An apple or banana is very portable. I also use individually wrapped cheese servings (keeps the sodium in check) with crackers and always have Quest protein bars in my purse. The Quest chocolate chip cookie bars are my favorite. 21 grams protein and 4 grams net carbs.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Is there a list somewhere that I could start with, of convenience foods that are low in sugar, sodium and fat?

I don't want a lecture about not eating convenience foods :smile: . I eat fresh foods also.

For this particular thread, I'm asking about convenience foods that are ready-made, or quick to make in the microwave, and foods that are non-perishable that can be kept in your car, or that you can eat late at night if you're hungry. (I don't want a lecture about eating late at night :wink: . I'm doing well on MFP, and losing weight. I just need some more tools. I know there are OTHER tools besides convenience foods. But for this thread, I am ONLY asking about convenience foods)

I'm not diabetic, but I have insulin resistance from PCOS. So I think diabetic foods would be good for me to have around.

So far I only checked a small grocery store near my home, and they didn't have much. I do have a Wegmans nearby, Walmart, Sams (they don't normally have low salt/sugar/fat convenience foods though), Target. There's probably a whole isle at Wegmans.
    But I'm wondering what some of you buy. And I'm wondering if anyone could direct me to a list here or online, that they already know of for these kinds of convenience foods.

Thank you in advance for not going on about not eating convenience foods, and eating fresh foods instead. (because as I already said, I am eating a lot of fresh foods also).

www.google.com - do a search on: convenience foods that are low in sugar, sodium and fat
  • plantgrrl
    plantgrrl Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Hmm...well some of these are convenience foods some are non-perishable.

I occasionally boil up a few hard boiled eggs and keep them in the fridge for an odd snack or two.
    Starbucks has a pretty good "Protein Bistro Box" with cheese, fruit, small bread thing with peanut butter and a hard boiled egg. That used to be my on-the-go meal of choice.
    String Cheese is another good on-the-go thing. Bananas. Plain greek yogurt is good, just top with fresh fruit or honey. Cottage Cheese.

As bumblebums said, nuts are a great non-perishable snack to have around. Most people say "Almonds" are the best bang for your buck, but I like a good nut mix. Whole Foods and Trader Joes both carry a really tasty "deluxe mixed nuts" (read "deluxe" as no peanuts) that are roasted/no salt for a reasonable price. Trader Joe's takes it a step further and does little snack packs of nuts, which are great to throw in a purse.

Hmm...what else. Oh! Protein powder. I've liked the Body Fortress Vanilla and the Chocolate. I haven't tried the other flavors, but I'll sometimes throw a bottle full in my purse as I run out the door. Goes great in smoothies too.

Kind Bars are pretty tasty, they have fairly low sodium and sugar and aren't super processed either.

(As an aside, I have PCOS too. I lost a bunch a few years ago and then life got crazy and I went back to my old ways--back at it though. Soul Cysters unite to fight the battle of the bulge!)
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    String cheese can suffer a good deal of abuse and is handy. By abuse, I mean, it can spend several hours in your purse and still be edible. You'd be amazed how much book bag abuse the BabyBel cheeses (the little waxed goudas) can take but the wax will make a mess of your car in the summer if you lose track of it. The Sargento light string cheese has no mystery ingredients in it and is only 50 calories/stick.

Also the single-serving baby carrots bags. Wasa crispbreads can be kept in the car in a ziploc bag for a good long time without suffering any ill effects. The Steam-Fresh veggies and similar things are handy and come in single-serving packs for freezer to microwave convenience.

And I'm a fan of things in those snack-pac cups like Mt. Olive Pickle Co. "Sweet Petites," pineapple wedges in their own juice, apple sauce, etc. -- they are an expensive way to buy things per pound but the convenience is great.
  • PunkinSpice79
    PunkinSpice79 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    ^ ^ What she said. :)

Edited: Was referring to plantgrrl
  • plantgrrl
    plantgrrl Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Oh! Roundgal's got a point! Snack pack stuff can be great. Keep a spoon in your purse and go for some "no sugar added" applesauce. Also, 100 calorie packs can be good--just be careful on what you get, cookies are still cookies. Then again, it's excellent portion control. My husband used to roll his eyes at me when I would get those tiny tubs of Ben and Jerry's at the store. They do cost more, in proportion, but there's something to be said for built in portion control.
  • laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    What range of sodium and sugar are you looking? People are going to freak out, but potato chips only have 170 mg of sodium per serving. I'm on a low sodium diet and read labels religiously. I agree about the unsalted almonds though, they're my favorite snack.

I'll be honest with you, when I went low sodium because of high blood pressure, eating processed food became nearly a thing of the past. There are a few select things I will eat on occasion, but the only way I have found to truly stay in my sodium macro is to make everything myself. Food companies are only just starting to understand lowering sodium levels is important. I don't expect to see any across the board change for at least another five to ten years.

Your best bet is to eat more unsalted nuts, carefully portion out your other snacks and make your own in advanced and portion them out.
  • kindredspirit96
    kindredspirit96 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thanx. LoL!

[/quote]

www.google.com - do a search on: convenience foods that are low in sugar, sodium and fat
    [/quote]
  • smaltowngurl
    Options
    Love rice cakes they even sell a quaker brand called popped in muliple flavors i buy those and break the bag down into snack size ziplock baggies so i can grab on the go special k bars are also great and for a night snack nothing can beat sugar free jello i make a double batch for my frige for all week only takes a few minutes to make stays good for a long time and best if all is only 10 calories per
  • smaltowngurl
    Options
    Oops per half cup and it comrs in multiple flavors