Meals that are 300-400 calories-need ideas.

Options
bbontheb
bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
I am looking for meals (b/lunch/dinner) that are around the 300-400 calorie mark. Obviously they might be largely veggie based but open to anything. Trying to limit my wheat (fodmap/gut issue) but can still have a little bit at a time.

I have been eating some grilled chicken, zucchini noodles, salads...would love more ideas.

Replies

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I am in love with the hungry girl website. www.hungry-girl.com
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    You can eat any thing you like just eat less of it until it fits your calories.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Have you tried millet or quinoa for whole grains?
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    donut
  • bbontheb
    Options

I'm aware of this. I'm a volume eater and have difficult time having just a tiny bit of something (ocd). I also have mutliple stomach issues and have to limit my foods high in fodmaps-bigger triggers are lactose and wheat (nothing to do with the gluten).
    LazSommer wrote: »
    donut

Do you think you are being helpful? Because you are not.
  • bbontheb
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »

I have tried quinoa and do eat it. I think I just need to find a new way to cook it (flavours). I haven't tried millet on it's own. I have had once in a cooked breakfast cereal. Great idea, thank you. Putting it on my list!
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of stir fries. 1 cup of cooked rice is 200 cals, but you could cut that down to 3/4 cup cooked (1/4 cup dry) to save 50 cals. Last night's was leftover roast chicken with onions, zucchini and broccoli. As long as you don't mind sodium, you can make a really nice homemade sauce with soy sauce, garlic, ginger, lime juice and a hint of something sweet (I use mirin but you could just as easily use a tiny drop of honey or teriyaki sauce) - plus corn starch and water to thicken.

I also enjoy whole wheat pasta tossed with veg (e.g. broccoli) and a little grated cheese or cottage cheese mixed in.

For lunches, I like cheese (1 oz), crackers (6 Triscuits), cherry tomatoes and sometimes carrots or pickled beets. You can also make an awesome salad with lettuce, whatever other veg you like, avocado, sliced/shredded turkey and maybe a few pine nuts or a little grated cheese.

For breakfast, I tend to either do whole wheat toast with almond butter and honey or marmalade. Add a glass of milk and half a banana (the baby gets the other half). Or whole wheat toast with two eggs; maybe a piece of fruit too.
  • mochi622
    mochi622 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I really like something I saw on instagram today. Take a small freezer meal that has a sauce and bulk it up with zuccini noodles or other steamed veggies.
    Not an everyday option but I loved the idea for when I don't have a lot of time. I find those meals always have lots of sauce anyway.
  • Ringomom
    Ringomom Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Soups with lots of vegetables help me out a lot. You can choose no carbs or put in rice, potato or pasta depending on your needs or preferences. You can make a large amount and freeze. Having a type of filling bean in it can really keep you satisfied.
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    deep frozen pangasius fish filets are about 150 calories, and stir fry veggies are about 70 calories. that's my go to meal when i keep it low in calories.you can even add a couple of small potatoes (150-200gr) and make it a party :smiley:
  • i_ge_w94
    i_ge_w94 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hey! this might help - http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/14-filling-dinners-400-calories-or-less/ - plus it's got a full macro breakdown for each recipe :)
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I've been using a lot of Skinnytaste recipes lately. She's got a pretty wide variety of stuff on her website (www.skinnytaste.com) and most of it is 500 calories or less. This week, for instance, I made butternut squash lasagna roll ups for 260 calories a piece, and paired vegetables with them. Last week was the cheeseburger casserole at around 350 calories for one portion.
  • cee134
    Options
    bbontheb wrote: »
    cee134 wrote: »

I have tried quinoa and do eat it. I think I just need to find a new way to cook it (flavours). I haven't tried millet on it's own. I have had once in a cooked breakfast cereal. Great idea, thank you. Putting it on my list!

Millet is kind of bland, like white rice but much healthier. I use it in my breakfast and when I make stir fries and other dishes.
  • cee134
    Options
    Also check out soba noodles, it has half the calories as spaghetti and it's made with buckwheat (not real wheat) While many people think that buckwheat is a cereal grain, it is actually a fruit seed that is related to rhubarb and sorrel making it a suitable substitute for grains for people who are sensitive to wheat or other grains that contain protein glutens.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    bbontheb wrote: »

I'm aware of this. I'm a volume eater and have difficult time having just a tiny bit of something (ocd). I also have mutliple stomach issues and have to limit my foods high in fodmaps-bigger triggers are lactose and wheat (nothing to do with the gluten).
    LazSommer wrote: »
    donut

Do you think you are being helpful? Because you are not.

My answer fit the parameters of the request.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options

Somehow I don't see how 300-400 cal's worth of a bacon cheeseburger/fries/coke would be as fulfilling as a full plate of something yummy, yet less calorie dense (which is what I'm pretty sure the OP is asking advice about).
  • ajolmstead
    ajolmstead Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My favorite "go to" recipe. I get 8 servings out of this and they are about 275 calories. (I don't add the optional stuff at the end) If you left out the chicken and added more beans, you could keep it vegetarian.

This is also nice because it freezes really well, so I make a full recipe and freeze portions for later use.

CROCK POT CHICKEN CHILI

1 Onion, finely chopped
    1 (16 oz) can mild Chili Beans
    1 (15 oz) can of Black Beans, drained and rinsed
    1(15 oz) can Whole Kernel Corn, drained
    1(8oz) can Tomato Sauce
    1 (12oz) can or bottle beer
    1 (10 oz) can Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies, undrained
    1 (1.25 oz) package Taco Seasoning
    3 Skinless, Boneless Chicken Breasts (half breasts)
    Shredded Cheddar Cheese (Optional)
    Sour Cream (Optional)
    Crushed Tortilla Chips (Optional)

Mix Onion, Chili Beans, Black Beans, Corn, Tomato Sauce, Beer, Diced Tomatoes and Taco Seasoning in a Crock Pot. Lay Chicken Breasts on top of the mixture and press them down until they are just covered by the other ingredients. Set on Low Heat and cook for 7-10 hours or on high for 5 hours.

Take out the chicken and shred it. Stir it back in and cook for up to another 2 hours.

Serve with Cheese, sour cream and chips, if desired. (May also be served over rice with a squeeze of lime juice and fresh cilantro.)

May be frozen for future use.
  • Dayle1984
    Dayle1984 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    my dinners are usually around the 300-400cal mark

for example:
    120g chicken breast (I season mine with Cajun spice and bake in the oven)
    100g broccoli
    1/2 cup (cooked) brown rice or 100g potatoes
    1/2 tablespoon of butter (on potatoes) or 1 tablespoon soya sauce on rice
  • bbontheb
    Options
    Wow, these are great ideas! Thank you. I'm finding it easier to think of it like protein +veggies +salad etc. I need to make some meals ahead of time though and that chili sounds yummy (and easy!).

I happen to have a butternut squash on my counter so I am definitely checking out the Skinny taste recipe!
  • dmsx3
    dmsx3 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Love this recipe. Easy and quick to prepare. I have only made it on the grill.

Jambalaya

Serves: 4
    Makes: 6 cups
    Hands-on time: 20 minutes
    Total time: 45 minutes

INGREDIENTS:
    •1/2 lb raw shrimp, 26/30 size, peeled and deveined, tail on
    •4 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast, diced into 1-inch pieces
    •1 all-natural low-sodium turkey sausage, sliced
    •1/2 medium white onion, diced
    •1 medium green bell pepper, stem and seeds removed and discarded, diced
    •1 rib celery, diced
    •1 1/2 medium vine-ripe tomatoes, cored and diced
    •2 cloves garlic, minced
    •1 1/2 tbsp salt-free Cajun seasoning
    •1 cup all-natural instant brown rice
    •1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
    •Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
    •Olive oil cooking spray

INSTRUCTIONS:
    1.Preheat oven to 400°F.
    2.In a large mixing bowl, toss together all ingredients except cooking spray, mixing well until combined.
    3.Prepare 2 foil pouches. Spray each piece of foil with cooking spray. Divide mixture evenly among both pieces of foil and seal.
    4.Place pouches on a baking tray and slide onto middle rack of preheated oven for 25 minutes or until rice and proteins are fully cooked. (NOTE: When cooked, rice will be soft and proteins will be firm and opaque.) To test for doneness, carefully open 1 pouch and taste a few grains of rice from the center of the pouch. If necessary, close pouch and return to oven for 5 more minutes.
    5.Carefully open pouch and pour mixture into a large serving bowl; serve immediately.

Nutrients per serving (1 1/2 cups Cajun Jambalaya): Calories: 339, Total Fat: 5 g, Sat. Fat: 1 g, Omega-3s: 350 mg, Omega-6s: 840 mg, Carbs: 24 g, Fiber: 3 g, Sugars: 3 g, Protein: 46 g, Sodium: 354 mg, Cholesterol: 171 mg