Being pushed over at the gym

Options
I like to take Zumba classes for exercise. I find that when I stand in the back corner section of the gym that I practically get danced on, mostly by late oncomers.

It's very frustrating having people try to squeeze in when there's no space, and I find myself having to move when they should be the ones to move.

I always end of frustrated, angry, and helpless when this happens.

Has this ever happened to you? What should I do?

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Be assertive.

No, not insertive.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    this happens to everyone in day to day life, not just the gym. maybe get to class earlier and not stand in the back, or learn to not care if you are bumped into, or become the one bumping into them instead, or find a class that isnt' so crowded, there are a ton of options.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I like to take Zumba classes for exercise. I find that when I stand in the back corner section of the gym that I practically get danced on, mostly by late oncomers.

It's very frustrating having people try to squeeze in when there's no space, and I find myself having to move when they should be the ones to move.

Why are you standing I the back corner section?
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »

Why are you standing I the back corner section?

So the teacher can't call on her for the answer, duh.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I find a quick elbow in the face tends to provide lots of room.

ETA: Seriously though, you know this is the area where people sneak in at the last minute. Just start somewhere else rather than letting it ruin your workout.
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Put some sardine oil under your pits, they'll keep away.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Start standing up front instead.
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    The back of the class is the worst possible place to be in Zumba for every single reason. Every newbie starts there because they don't want other people watching/judging them. I certainly did, but it is a terrible place to be. As you mentioned, you get squeezed by latecomers, but worse, it's much harder to see the instructor. (It's also much easier to slack off if you're in the back.)

I often take the very front if I know the instructor's choreo, because you practically never get squeezed in the front (plus I work harder). If I don't know the choreo or I get there too late, I take no farther back than the second or third row, I take an outside wall, and I physically take up as much room as I can. I stand just far enough from the wall or punching bags that there's not comfortable room to stand outside me, I do wide warm-ups, and I make it as clear as possible that I will be MOVING during the class and not standing there wiggling in a little box. I'm sure some people think that's selfish, but this is my primary workout every day, and if I'm stuck in a 2'x2' space I may as well not be there.

I used to go to a gym that had numbered spots on the floor for all classes. You had to sign up before class and if all the spots were taken, you were out of luck. I REALLY, REALLY miss that, because even all my territory-claiming techniques don't work in a really crowded class.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Move to a different area that gets less crowded.
  • Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 524 Member
    Options

Sounds like this 'gym' is taking on more zumba people than they should. How many people are in these classes? Sounds chaotic and seriously off putting
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Push them into the dumbbell rack, see how they like it.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Happened to me in water aerobics. These young girls were backing up into my face to the point I was backed into the pool wall. I fixed that problem...I "accidentally" splashed them. Oopsy, my bad :p They moved!

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I do what Ludacris says.
    Throw them bows.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    I do what Ludacris says.
    Throw them bows.

I always thought it was throw them BONES. Oops.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    The instructor is supposed to lock doors once the first minutes are in. You need to talk to front desk and get an appointment with the gym management and they may be able to help.

Gym is the perfect place where people get pushed over. And you should not let that happen. When I used to go to spinning sessions in equinox, I'd call out latecomers aloud because they disturb class concentration. And the instructors cannot do this because they will lose clients.... However, they have thanked me later on a few occasions. It's like being an activist student.

And calling out latecomers out loud doesn't disturb the class?
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    I'm small, and used to people pushing me aside, looking over me to serve other people etc....Here's what I've learned: Keep your elbows out, and firm! Head up, chin up, fists up!

(Also do as others said, and move closer to the front where you'll be less likely to get pushed around.)
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    I do what Ludacris says.
    Throw them bows.

I always thought it was throw them BONES. Oops.

Bows is short for elbows.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    The instructor is supposed to lock doors once the first minutes are in. You need to talk to front desk and get an appointment with the gym management and they may be able to help.

Gym is the perfect place where people get pushed over. And you should not let that happen. When I used to go to spinning sessions in equinox, I'd call out latecomers aloud because they disturb class concentration. And the instructors cannot do this because they will lose clients.... However, they have thanked me later on a few occasions. It's like being an activist student.

They probably can't lock the doors bc that's a fire hazard. But they should have some sort of system where if you're more than 5 minutes late you aren't allowed on the class. Maybe a check in system at the front desk? I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure the fire Marshall would have a problem with them locking the doors, unless there's another way to exit the building incase of an emergency.