Crohnie just keeping a food and exercise diary

Options
Hamsibian
Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
Hi all,

I am glad I have joined this community. I have been trying to find the right one that will calculate nutritional information most accurately - as someone who makes almost all of her own food due to the Autoimmune Protocol, this was so difficult. Myfitnesspal seemse to be the most user friendly. I also want to get back into strength training soon, but due to a really bad flare in the beginning of this year, I'm just happy I can do some yoga and walking at this point. Taking it one day at a time, and I'm excited!

Replies

• Hamsibian
    Options
    I would also like to make some friends, particularly those with disabilities/autoimmune diseases. But I also get along with everyone, especially if they want to live healthier lifestyles!! :smile:
  • TheLegendaryBrandonHarris
    Options
    Hello there!
    What's a Crohnie?
  • Hamsibian
    Options
    Oh, sorry about that! I have Crohn's Disease, we call ourselves Crohnies haha.
    Options
    I'm just messing with you. I have Crohn's disease...although I've never heard that term before.
  • Hamsibian
    Options
    Oooh, well you learn something new every day. How are you managing it, if you don't mind me asking?
    Options
    Ok, so the official version of how I'm handling it is with Humira.
    The actual way I'm handling it is with a fairly strict diet. I'm very careful about oils...olive, vegetable, animal, etc. I try to limit these.
    Stress level...trying to keep it low.
    Drink a lot of fluids. Keep plenty available so whatever you eat doesn't get stuck.

And, being completely honest, I drink a lot of alcohol.
  • fairyphaze
    fairyphaze Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    There is actually a diet (AIP) obviously for auto immune. There is also an app called "my Paleo pal" w numerous people w auto immune n on other diets close to it. The people are so great on there n it keeps you on track. I def suggest checking it out. I personally am on it every day! I hope to see you there!
  • donnadoo80
    donnadoo80 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey.. Another crohnie here.. I'm also on humira and 6mp.. Trying to figure out a way to keep things under control through diet
  • ellie_RN
    ellie_RN Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm not a chronie but I do have psoriasis and arthritis! Also on weekly humira!! I've been trying to find others on this site who have autoimmune diseases and/or are on biologics!
  • Hamsibian
    Options
    Hi everyone! It's so great to meet you all. I have been on every single biologic med available, including humira. It was great until it just stopped working after 4 years (although I believe now my diet halted any chance of remission). I am now on Entyvio, Aza, and on my last week of Entocort thank goodness. I am doing the Autoimmune Protocol as well fairyphase, and it's amazing. I just noticed some wonderful more major changes this week, so I am ecstatic. I pay a lot of attention to quality fats and meats/offal (sales are my wallet's best friend), and sleep.
  • Hamsibian
    Options
    I am still working on the exercise part, as I had a horrible flare last winter. Now I try to do yoga almost every night, and I can do some walking. I am hoping to work up to strength training when it gets cold out, but I am glad that I can move more now than compared to just a few months ago.
  • peachykeen79
    peachykeen79 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hola! I have psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis, and am on weekly humira. I thought I'd pop in and mention the autoimmune protocol as being awesome (I see it's been mentioned above too!). Anyway, I've figured out that wheat is the culprit in all of my woes. A few months ago I quit wheat and grains in general completely and my psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis completely cleared. 100%, poof, gone. To the point where I no longer needed humira.

I fell off the wheat wagon and am back on board as of yesterday. I'm trying to lose weight too (hence the tracking).

Anyway, just thought I'd mention how awesome dropping wheat worked for me. So you may want to give it a whirl? Cheapest fix ever!
  • KarmaKC
    KarmaKC Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have UC and now in remission so im trying to lose some weight while I can and cut the carbs and start eating some more veggies again! I love that I can see my fiber and vitamins here on MFP and check any gaps I have in my nutrition.
    I am severely anemic and needed blood and later intervenous iron since I couldn't tolerate pills but I seem to be getting better and my energy is back. Good luck everyone!
  • Cin456
    Cin456 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello, you can add me...I have celiac disease, on a gluten free diet....
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I'm a Crohnie on Remicade (infliximab) and azathioprine
  • craftymom24
    craftymom24 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Like singingflutelady, I am on Remicade and azathioprine for Crohn's too.
  • Hamsibian
    Options
    Hola! I have psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis, and am on weekly humira. I thought I'd pop in and mention the autoimmune protocol as being awesome (I see it's been mentioned above too!). Anyway, I've figured out that wheat is the culprit in all of my woes. A few months ago I quit wheat and grains in general completely and my psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis completely cleared. 100%, poof, gone. To the point where I no longer needed humira.

I fell off the wheat wagon and am back on board as of yesterday. I'm trying to lose weight too (hence the tracking).

Anyway, just thought I'd mention how awesome dropping wheat worked for me. So you may want to give it a whirl? Cheapest fix ever!

Wheat is a huge culprit for me too! Although My issue is more with the way that it is processed rather than wheat itself. I know I can have pita bread easily in Egypt (where my family lives) without noticing any problems. Funny how that works out. AIP is great, I just really miss cheese lol. I fell off the wagon this winter after my flare up, but I started again this May, so things are going pretty well.
    KarmaKC wrote: »
    I have UC and now in remission so im trying to lose some weight while I can and cut the carbs and start eating some more veggies again! I love that I can see my fiber and vitamins here on MFP and check any gaps I have in my nutrition.
    I am severely anemic and needed blood and later intervenous iron since I couldn't tolerate pills but I seem to be getting better and my energy is back. Good luck everyone!

I am also very anemic - I actually learned last time I got an infusion that my anemia is separate from my crohn's (but they obviously aggravate each other). I have to cook all of my veggies, and am also low carb. I learned the hard way that too much carb (aka average for "normal" people) makes my stomach very unhappy. So for now I am focusing more on certain nutrients instead of calories and carbs. It's definitely a learning curve, but I hope once I tweak everything to the best that I can, I can show my doctor that I am not deprived of nutrients lol. I love these features!

• amrluvarr
    amrluvarr Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I also have Crohn's and thought I would check in to see how things were going with AIP. I started about 3 weeks ago and I've noticed improvements so far. I know that I need to tackle my sleep and stress next. I also take Humira. I hope with the diet and humira I can reach remission for a longer period of time (after 10 years only been in remission once for about 8 months).
  • Hamsibian
    Options
    Sleep and stress are huge things for me, probably even more than the food. If I don't get enough sleep, my symptoms go haywire. I am doing well on the Aip. I noticed some improvements within the first few weeks like no abdomenal pain or bloating. I struggle with cutting my honey limit in my tea, and I know the amount of sugar I have no matter what type seems to have some impact. But it's so delicious! I am eating more and my energy levels are so much better than earlier this year. I still have a few other issues, but they're due to mainly dumb mistakes or more recent travel.