Blew it

Options
I'm only 4 days in to my eating program and I already blew it. Why do I keep doing this to myself? I know what I need to do, I know how to do it, I just keep sabotaging myself. I have 113 lbs to lose and would like to do it in a year. That's doable, I've seen people do it. I'm sure not going to be able to do it with days like today. So how do you do it? How do you stick to it day in and day out? How do you start moving, getting in some exercise? I'm home most days and I still can't seem to get any walking or anything in. How do I get myself going? Anybody else have this problem? How did you get past it? I've had weight problems in the past, but never like this and never had a problem losing weight or exercising. This time I just can't seem to get going. I really need some advice. Thank you in advance.

Replies

• kcs121
    kcs121 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I "blew it" multiple times, and still do sometimes. But the days get fewer and farther between the healthier you feel and the more you exercise (imo) Do the best you can, just for the day you have :) I pre-plan my meals and make sure i have things to do, especially if home for the day. The food still calls, but i try and tell myself how bad i would feel afterwards. I also attend Overeaters Anonymous, not for everyone...but it works for me :)
  • ThePrettyHateMachine
    Options
    I'm in therapy for binge eating issues. That's helped a great deal. Your body can't help you if you're mind is working against you. I've got 160 total to lose currently at -49 lbs. Honestly for me it took a wake up call. I tried before and failed many times. One day I was sitting doing a simple every day task and started having chest pains (I'm 36 with no genetic heart issues) that was it I was done. Am I perfect? God no. Do I keep trying, I have to. I CANNOT go back to that. Is it hard? Incredibly, especially when your spouse kicks back all the food you loved to eat without a care in the world. Don't get me wrong he's 110% supportive, but I'm doing this with pizza, cookies and candy in the house 24/7. I'd like to think I get bonus points for being super dedicated lol (at least I let myself think that) my addiction to food was no different than an alcoholic. It wasn't until I was ready, that I was willing to change. I seriously cleaned up my eating and just started trying to walk more adding more and more as I went. Then other exercises and now jogging (not a phrase I thought would ever come out of my mouth lol) I'm not giving myself a by done date. I have limited control over what my body does and it will just frustrate me. I know I didn't gain it over night. The slower the weight loss the more sustainable. I hope that was at least a little motivation/insight for you. Good luck to you!! :)

SW: 310+
    CW: 261
    GW: 150-ish
  • ryanndavignon
    ryanndavignon Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I've tried multiple times to lose weight. Got to 170, then got pregnant and weighed 195 after her. Lost to about 185, then got pregnant again and went up to 212. Lost from 212 back down to 185, and then ate myself back to 203. I am now at 199. I'd like to get to 150, evaluate and lose from there. It is hard, there's no doubt about that. For me, I have found that logging my food for the day first thing in the morning helps. I also only eat between noon and 8pm, this help me with not eating too late at night.

As for the exercise, I still don't like doing it, but I do. In the morning I get up at 6am and do a 15-20 minute workout, head to my full time job, after work i pick up my 2 girls then once I get home I do another 15-30 min video. I do it because I know it will help with my weightloss. Today my husband got home from work before I did, and while I could have skipped my evening work out, I reluctantly got my butt off the couch and did it anyways.

Maybe try focusing on just your food for a month or so, then slowly work in workouts.

Good luck to you!
  • Neanbean13
    Neanbean13 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Food first. If your at home all day I don't understand how there's no time. Look at your schedule. Where can you commit to doing something for YOU. only reason you're failing is because you put yourself last. Sure you might have kids etc but doesn't mean you can't Russell up an hour a day for yourself. Don't be a victim to your circumstances.
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Every time you "blow it," you just start over. A little at a time. Cut yourself some slack. That weight didn't come on overnight & it won't come off overnight either. Time will pass, no matter what you do. So you can spend your time trying to improve your life or you can keep doing what you're doing. It is you choice. And it's a choice you will have to make every day, multiple times a day. There is no secret. You just keep trying, failing, learned & trying again.
  • 6Sarah4
    6Sarah4 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I find I have to 'trick' my brain into exercising without it realising.
    I moved into my first house and had to really clamp down on spending so cycling to work was far cheaper than driving - I convinced my brain I couldn't afford the petrol (which I could)
    I've lost over 10kg since. I've plateaued now though - got another 10 ish I want to lose.
    I cannot diet - tried it for 3 days, tired, hungry, miserable and gave in. Now I need to trick my brain into foing more.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I'm surprised no one has acknowledged this yet. OP, what are your stats and goals? As in, how many calories are you consuming a day? Also, what qualifies as "blowing it" to you?

Binges often occur due to over-restriction.
  • edugan001
    edugan001 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I get my exercise in during my two 15 minute breaks at work. (I walk around the perimeter of the hospital I work at). As far as "blowing it", I pre-plan all my meal which really help. On Friday night I eat out with my family and have whatever I want for that one meal. This keeps me on track and gives me a determined time to "blow it" without feeling guilty. I have been following MFP for the past 4 weeks and have lost 13 pounds :smile: