Desk Job Problems

Options
2»

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    As you can see you are not alone on the desk job and being sedentary during the day while at this job. Because you want to some motivation, I can't bottle that up and submit that through this post, but I can say, if you take 15 minutes a day before or after work to do a little something for yourself in the way of exercise or an active activity, you will be able to find another 15 minutes and so on.

Take advantage your weekends.
  • rosetigger
    rosetigger Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    6bnv5nccge7b.jpg
    20qy2zlk4jn0.jpg

Here are a couple of workouts you can do at your desk.

• Derek_McC
    Derek_McC Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Only two things work for me:
    1. Go before work
    2. Change at work take care of it before I go home

If I go home, there is virtually no way I can get back out and exercise.
  • camoballerina91
    camoballerina91 Posts: 257 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Having a sedentary/desk job is no excuse not to work out. I'm up at 5:30 every morning getting ready so I can be at work by 7:30 (that includes making breakfast for my husband and me, doing my hair, makeup, and showering if I need it), and I usually work to 5 or 6 each day. When I get home I clean up the house, cook dinner, and make time to workout. I workout at home so I don't have to worry about driving to a gym, but I do need a push sometimes, especially if I've had a long day, and that's when my husbands there to help encourage and (sometimes literally) push me into the rec. room to go work out. I do my best to get in at least a 20 minute workout, longer if I've got the time but 20 minutes is my minimum.

I like the idea of bringing a gym bag to work and changing before you leave for the day and heading straight to the gym from there. Throughout the day I make myself get up for something. If I need to tell someone something, or I answer the phone and it's for someone else, instead of paging them I get up and walk to their office to let them know. I take every chance I get to get up and move around throughout the day, whether to ask someone for a favor or help, to get supplies, or to just walk around the office for a few minutes, I make sure that I'm not sitting all day.

Weekends are the best though. I can get a lot of exercise done on the weekends along with my usual routine of cleaning up the house and grocery shopping. It's not really about finding time to go workout, it's about making time. Watching t.v. or movie? Do jumping jacks/burpees/lunges/run in place during commercials or when they say a certain word or phrase. Do squats in between your different tasks to make dinner. Stand up and walk around while you're folding laundry. It's little things like that that can make a big difference :).
  • kenyainez
    kenyainez Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I ask everyone this: What is your "Why"? Why do you want to go to the gym after work and why do you want friends to hold you accountable? There's something beneath the surface that's encouraging this desire so whatever that is, hold on to it and let that be your fuel to head to the gym after work. It's a daily decision and a daily commitment you have to keep with yourself. And the more you make this a habit, the more it will become your normal and it won't appear to be a chore.
  • amymurray12282
    amymurray12282 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job. I walk on my breaks. This morning, I got here about half an hour early and used that time to walk too. Is that something that is an option for you? (Sorry if you have answered this, I have not read all the responses!)
  • abitofbliss
    abitofbliss Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I work a desk job and I have two 15 minute breaks that I walk, and I walk 15mins on lunch. I also bike to work 10 miles each way.
  • Gizziemoto
    Gizziemoto Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I joined a gym and that is where I go on lunch now. I also have a reminder to get up every hour and move. Not the best at that one but trying.
  • BrittanyBryde
    BrittanyBryde Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I work a desk job and I have two 15 minute breaks that I walk, and I walk 15mins on lunch. I also bike to work 10 miles each way.

I have thought about biking to work... But with how hot it is I don't want to get super sweaty and then have to go sit in a conference call or meeting. B/c I have to dress up for work....Do you change or just deal?!
  • carouselwomen
    carouselwomen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey I sit at a desk all day and don't do a lot of moving around until I get out of work. I want and need help to get motivated to go after work to the gym! And I also want to help hold friends accountable!