Beginning Menopause and weight loss

Options
I am 37 years old and I think I might be starting menopause. Trying to decide if its that or if need to go to the Dr. I have struggled with my weight for a long time but last September got all the way down to 176 (I am 5' 10") to run the Branson 70,3. I have since gained back 20 lbs. (I'll admit I ate too much and worked out too little. My Mom died suddenly and I got a bit depressed). All the way up to 198. Got back on track in early spring back down to 185, eased up a little on myself concerning sweets and I shouldn't have. To make a long story short, I am back up to 198, been working out like crazy running about 20 miles per week plus cross training (only once a week on weights tho). Signed myself up for another big event in September for motivation and have been watching my diet pretty well and I am losing NOTHING! Additionally, I have hot flashes, cold flashes, dizzy spells, nausea, and intestinal cramps. Any ideas? Is this normal menopause? Should I go to doc? Thanks for any advice.

Replies

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Go to your obgyn to find out if you are in menopause. I did get hot flashes but no cold flashes, dizziness or nausea.
  • MorningWhispers
    Options
    Sounds like you have a hormonal imbalance. might not be menopause. Go to your doctor and she should be able to help figure it out. hormones are a big reason it's hard to lose weight as we get older. If your doctor can help you straighten out your hormones - you will start seeing your weight drop.

I struggle with hormones myself, when the doctor put me on meds a few years ago I was losing 4 pounds a month with no little effort - of course after awhile that stopped since I wasn't actually working on my weight.
  • SavingSarah41
    SavingSarah41 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with them. Go to your dr. On June 8, 2012 at the age of 37 I was put into menopause because I had to have a complete hysterectomy. In the past year I have only had hot flashes and some mood swings. Because of being in my 30's when this happened I have talked to a lot of people about it so that I could better understand everything that is going on with myself and have never heard anyone say anything about the other symptoms that you are having. If you are perimenopause then your dr can help. And if you are not then your dr still can help figure out what is going on.
  • Broadzilla007
    Broadzilla007 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. Going to REALLY watch the calories for one more week as long as the other symptoms don't reoccur or get worse. If I still don't lose anything, I'm going to the Dr.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    go get out there and exercise hard, those symptoms will go away,
    I found the more active I got, the better things were.
  • liln5k
    liln5k Posts: 6
    Options
    I am 42 and have been perimenopausal since my late 30's... so it can be and it sounds a lot like what I was/am going thru... always good to talk to you gyn though... don't let them tell you that you are too young b/c you are NOT!! perimenopause can start YEARS prior to menopause... go to the website http://www.34-menopause-symptoms.com/ AND http://www.theperimenopauseblog.com/ (also has a facebook)... these will most likely enlighten you on your journey... it did me!!! also...

I don't have hot flashes or anything like that BUT I do have the irregular cycles, mood swings, anxiety, heart palpitations, etc... My husband and I started the virgin diet (lifestyle change) in late oct early nov of last year. I weighed 215 lbs. As of my Friday weigh in, I am now 128 lbs... I walk on the treadmill at work 5 days a week for 40 mins (5 min warm up; 30 min walk at 3.5 mph; 5 min cool down) I do upper body weight machines mon and wed and then legs on tues and thurs. I do standing ab's all 5 days. My husband has lost 95 lbs with the new lifestyle changes and he doesn't work out like I do... for us It comes down to clean eating... we eat meat, fruits, veges, good carbs and healthy fats (oliveoyl, etc) (lentils, sweet potatoes and brown rice)... we eat as organic as possible... We don't eat processed foods, dairy, eggs, peanuts, corn, soy, sugar or artificial sweetners... I average between 1200 and 1300 calories and it is a lot of food to eat!!! we are never hungry!!! if interested you should visit jjvirgin.com or visit her page on facebook... it really does work!!!