Snacks to pack for a 100k ride

Options
I am going a 100km bike ride on Sunday. I'm a picky vege who doesnt eat nuts, and I find my blood sugar can drop quite sharply when I'm doing a lot of exercise, and this can leave me feeling quite wobbly for quite a while afterwards. I know I need to make sure I keep hydrated all the time. There are several food and drink stops on the route but what snacks would you take with you rather than rely just on the stops?

Replies

• Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Dried fruit?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Carbs are your friend!
    Eating a high carb breakfast (such as granola,porridge etc..) beforehand and drinking sports drinks with sugar(s) and electrolytes would get me through 100km. If there are planned stops (and you want to stop) then wouldn't suggest carrying anything except an emergency carb gel so you carry as little weight as possible.
    You can get sachets of sport drink powders to mix with water at the stops.

Don't overload on breakfast on the day of the event though as that can make you feel sluggish and dehydrated - follow the same routine and quantities that you have in training rides.

Some of my eat on the move snacks for longer rides are:
    Soreen malt loaf (they do a snack size bar).
    Cereal bars such as Nature Valley "protein" bars (actually more accurately they are carb bars with a little protein).
    Jelly Babies or similar.

Bananas are easy to digest but not a personal favourite to carry.

Eat little and often as your stomach doesn't digest food so easily when you are exercising. I tend to eat on a half hourly (half a bar) or hourly (whole bar) schedule.

Enjoy the ride. :smiley:
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Metrics are great rides. If it's road bike, for breakfast I like to eat a Cinnamon Bagel with peanut butter (or you can use laughing cow spreadable cheeses) and on the drive to the ride I'll eat a protein bar and drink a PowerAde. I like to take in about 500 carb calories before riding any distance over 40. My bike holds two bottles so I take two bottles of Infinit (liquid nutrition), our route has one store so I get cold water there and fill my bottles back up. I like to nibble on honey stingers and Jelly Belly sport beans at the stops. If I need a fast pick me up (sugar) I'll grab a Midnight Milky Way bar at the store :) Have fun!!!!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    what have you been eating on training rides?
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    The longest I've done is 60k. I've no worries I'll do the distance and I'm not going for a time. I did the 50 the last 2 years and loved it. I usually have a banana and dried apricots and water. I can't do fizzy things on endurance so energy drinks are a no no as they just turn my stomach. I'm not as prepared as I hope as I was derailed by pneumonia earlier in the year so missed several weeks of exercise. I'm recovered now but still feel it sometimes, fatigue can hit hard and fast, and occasional problems with my chest. I'm sure it will be fine,just want to be as prepared as I can. Doing it with a couple of others so good support on the day.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Not all sports drinks are carbonated - PowerAde or Lucozade Sport for example.
    Or you can make your own of course.

If it's hot don't forget the electrolytes which plain water won't provide (hence the recommendation for sports drinks).
    You can buy electrolyte tablets to put in your water as an alternative.

Have fun.
  • kirstenb13
    kirstenb13 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Is this going to be a race or just a leisurely ride? I have only done slow bike tour type rides of that length but I would never worry too much about food for those. I usually take some granola bars and some chocolate or fruit or whatever. And then eat at the stops whatever they have there. If there are no stops I would take a sandwich or something a little more substantial as well. And plenty of water, maybe some mixed with a little juice.