logging elliptical and fitbit

Options
I have a fitbit flex but wondering if I should log my elliptical training as separate? My fitbit still tracks my steps on my elliptical. I'm confused lol

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    depends on if youre eating back exercise cals or not.

i used a fitbit for awhile (just wasnt my thing) i didnt eat back any of the calories it gave me, just what i manually logged. i still counted the STEPS, just not the calories burned, if that makes sense.
  • babypunkprincess
    babypunkprincess Posts: 109 Member
    Options

i used a fitbit for awhile (just wasnt my thing) i didnt eat back any of the calories it gave me, just what i manually logged. i still counted the STEPS, just not the calories burned, if that makes sense.

I am eating back half my calories. So should i still log my elliptical separate even know I still get my steps and calories burned from steps from my fitbit
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    If you're asking so you can have the correct calorie intake, I wouldn't worry about the calories burned during exercise and from normal activity. I let my progress towards fat loss dictate my calorie intake and not my daily activity. Go for the goal you're actually interested in.

What I do and what I recommend to people is to eat at a calorie level that allows you to make good progress towards your goal. If you are trying to lose weight, eat so you drop 1-2 lbs/week. This assumes an average calorie burn from you getting in all of your workouts. This will be different for everyone, so you'll have to do some trial and error to figure it out. I'd start ~2200 cal/day. Hit this goal, along with your macros and getting in your workouts, for 2 weeks. If you lose 1-2 lbs/week, you're good to go. If you lose too much, increase your intake and repeat. If you don't lose enough, reduce your intake a bit and repeat. After a few cycles, you'll figure out what works for you in your situation.

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

I am eating back half my calories. So should i still log my elliptical separate even know I still get my steps and calories burned from steps from my fitbit

what you need to make sure youre not doing is counting the exercise twice. steps are that - steps. its how much you move during the day. most of it is not deliberate exercise, but the fitbit tries to give you calories for nearly all of it. i ignored everything my fitbit told me, other than using it to simply keep track of steps, so i wouldnt sit on my *kitten* all day.

i logged my exercise in mfp after i went to the gym.

thats just how i did it and it worked, but i found i pretty much hated the fitit anyways lol
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Surge HR, it's really accurate. I log my activities (elliptical / tread mill / arc / cross trainer) into MFP making sure I put the exact start time and duration. After that Fitbit will just count the overage, if there is one. It won't double count as long as you put in the start time and duration. Also, if your Fitbit has the timer option, don't start it and log into MFP at the same time or you'll get a double count. I only use my Fitbit timer to make sure I'm getting an accurate burn... MFP over estimates the calories burned for various activities. For example... the other day I did 45 minutes of Zumba (athletic version), MFP gave me close to 500 calories burned and my Fitbit gave me around 300. So although I logged it in MFP, I adjusted the calorie burn down for accuracy. OR... to make life easy, just let the Fitbit do your tracking for you and don't bother to log exercise in MFP. Either way, you'll get an accurate burn # unless you're doing an activity that doesn't have many steps. An example of that is MMA. When I am in an MMA class many of the drills and activities don't include a lot of foot work like sit ups, kettle bell swings, and actual hitting and kicking. While I do move around quite a bit when I am fighting, many of my partners like to be stationary so I'm not getting the steps. Hope this all makes sense.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    yup, especially for the elliptical, for those lovely burns! I let my fitbit adjust any over's or unders, but I like to see the numbers, the trends, including my purposeful exercise minutes.
  • Caroline393
    Caroline393 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    So how does MFP factor in the data from your Fitbit? Do y'all count your calories from steps or just up your activity level? Im a brand new Fitbit user and haven't been able to connect MFP to the Fitbit app yet so I'm not sure how or if to factor in my Fitbit calories
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    If the Fitbit tracks steps while you're on the eliptical, then I would not log it.
    I have a fitbit flex but wondering if I should log my elliptical training as separate? My fitbit still tracks my steps on my elliptical. I'm confused lol

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Caroline, if you're using MFP alone then you enter your stats (height/weight/age/gender) and choose an activity level (sedentary, lightly active, etc.) and from that MFP estimates how many calories you burn in a day before exercise.

If you're using something like Fitbit, it measures your total actual activity and along with your stats uses the actual data to estimate how much you burn in a day.

When you sync MFP with Fitbit, MFP compares your Fitbit daily burned # to what MFP expected you to burn. If you are burning more (according to Fitbit) then you earn extra calories.
    So how does MFP factor in the data from your Fitbit? Do y'all count your calories from steps or just up your activity level? Im a brand new Fitbit user and haven't been able to connect MFP to the Fitbit app yet so I'm not sure how or if to factor in my Fitbit calories

• jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    If the Fitbit tracks steps while you're on the eliptical, then I would not log it.

This. For me the whole point of having a Fitbit is so I can have it do the exercise logging for me. With my Alta it can identify what exercise I'm doing, so I have a log of what I did, the calorie burn, and duration on the Fitbit app.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    no, you can't log the same effort/steps twice.... Either take off the fitbit when you get on the elliptical and log those calories as a workout, or keep it on and don't log the elliptical calories.....
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    OP, one thing to mention, if you do want to log your exercise you can. You just need to make sure that you get the start time and duration of exercise correct. It will override the calorie burn from the Fitbit so it doesn't count it twice. Personally I like to let the Fitbit do its job and log it for me. It decreases the chances of having way overinflated burns recorded.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    if you are wearing your fitbit while you are using the elliptical, there is no need to log it unless you don't think it is accurate. However, if you choose to log it, log it from the fitbit website and enter the times that you exercised and it will replace the recorded data so you won't log it twice. You just have to be sure to enter the right times.

In my experience, the fitbit is more accurate than the burn you would get off the machine. I have checked the machine and fitbit with an HRM and the HRM matched well with the fitbit whereas the machine overestimated. (assuming the HRM is most accurate!)
  • Polo265
    Polo265 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I was wondering about logging or not logging the elliptical exercise too. Presumably Fitbit is counting each elliptical motion as a step. For me, that would be a slower pace and fewer steps than I would walk. Does Fitbit recognize the extra effort put forth with the elliptical?