Soreness and Pain?!

Options
Trueray
Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
Do you guys know of any good medication or painkillers to help with recovery and push through workouts? I was thinking tylenol 3 would help with this if I take it everyday.

Replies

• healthymelisa
    healthymelisa Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about medications, but my hubby just handed me Tylenol Precise Pain Relieving Heat Patch. I've had it on for an hour and it seems like it's working for me :smile:
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's advisable to take Tylenol 3 every day. That has codeine in it. Check with your doctor to see if there is a prescription that he/she would recommend. If you are having to push through pain to work out, you might need to add in more rest days.
  • eme733
    eme733 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    what kind of pain are you talking about?? you dont want to be taking Tylenol 3 every day (you dont even want to be taking regular Tylenol all the time... check out the bottle... that stuff will kill your liver with long term continual usage). if it is muscle soreness you could use something like Tiger Balm or Sore No More or Blue Goo (a topical analgesic) instead of a pill. Massage therapy and acupuncture can work miracles as well.

Your workouts should not "hurt". yes you want to push beyond what is "comfortable" but it should not leave you constantly in pain. if that is occurring there might be an underlying issue that needs to be addressed by a doctor (i.e. i got plantar faciatius from running so much and had to wear a custom orthotic to support the arch of my foot while the torn muscle healed). if you just keep pushing through the pain you might be doing more damage that could cause permanent issues
  • ostrichagain
    ostrichagain Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    No, that's not a good idea. Codeine is not meant to be used that way.

Advil and Aleve is good, muscle rubs like Icy Hot are good, ice or a hot pad is good. Rest is super good.
  • thescrumisfun
    Options
    I wouldn't advise masking soreness with any pain reliever - let your body recover on its own. You're kind of asking for an injury.

Use hot/cold as necessary. 20 minutes on/20 off.
  • Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Okay, thanks guys!
  • coppertop_4
    coppertop_4 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    First: Protein after workouts !
    Then ...

Bath with epsom salt
    Massage
    muscle rubs or patches
    Ice packs if needed
    Good sleep
    Repeat
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    Try taking turmeric supplements. They have great anti-inflammatory and mild pain relief properties. I notice a huge difference when i take them and when I don't. I just make my own out of powder, but I think you can buy them too. Personally I'd rather take and herb or use some type of non-drug to get relief.
  • _xXJennXx_
    _xXJennXx_ Posts: 3,290 Member
    Options
    I'd say make sure you're taking a rest day as well, depending on what kind of pain. When my legs first hurt after walking I pushed through it. After jump roping for the first time in a long time I needed to wait a couple days before doing it again. And now I'm fine when I do it.
  • bernied262
    bernied262 Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't advise masking soreness with any pain reliever - let your body recover on its own. You're kind of asking for an injury.

Use hot/cold as necessary. 20 minutes on/20 off.

^^^This!
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    you crazy person! the pain is the best bit.
    for me, it never quite aches enough.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    get a hot tub and sauna.