Going on Vacation with family meal ideas

Options
mommamia30189
mommamia30189 Posts: 82 Member
edited August 2016 in Food and Nutrition
Hello, I am going for 4 days on a mountain trip with my children, there will be 3 -20 year olds and one 14 year old plus myself. We plan on doing alot of physical activity, but what is some things i can cook for them that wont completely derail my diet. I will probably be cooking breakfast every day, and probably dinners as well. They can figure out there own lunch. Also some snacks that we can pack for a rafting excursion. I want to bring groceries with us because it is a remote location and i also think there is a charcoal grill. Thanks!

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,986 Member
    Options
    If you're going to be really active, don't be too concerned about your diet and be sure to give your body enough fuel to account for all the calories you'll be burning.

For breakfast: egg sandwiches, peanut butter on toast, bananas or other fruit.
    Snacks: Protein bars, dried fruit, nuts, trail mix, apples, jerky, salami.
    Dinners: Grilled meat/fish, potatoes, grilled veggies.

It's only 4 days...you won't derail your diet. If you're going to be way more physically active than usual, you may see a temporary weight gain when you return due to fluid retention. After a 6-day backpacking trip, I came back 10 pounds heavier...it all went away 4-5 days later.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    For rafting, double seal things that won't spoil, like trail mix, dried fruit, other camping food that doesn't need to be cooked.

For meals, healthy proteins, vegetables, whole grains and some sauces and cooking supplies.

I would suggest high carb from whole grains, high protein breakfasts like rolled oats, potatoes, include fiber as well, so adding fruit would be a good option.