Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Barbell Hip Thrust - 50 lb to 135 lbs - how much muscle gained in glutes?

2»

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    serapel wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    My glutes onIly grew when I bulked eating in surplus. Even still I wouldn't say my glutes got very big (mind you I did start out with almost nothing!) they are very nicely shaped but not big.

For hip thrusts it wasn't so much about how much weight I could lift as switching it up.. one day I would do heavy, another day high rep low weight, or incorporating different types of isoholds, single-leg, banded etc etc.

Also as mentioned DOMS is not an indication of muscle growth

I'm eating in surplus, but my dietary needs are much higher due to the weight training. I used to maintain on 2,000, but now I need a good 2,200 cals to feel full.

My butt muscles are slowly getting rounder and bigger; I'm just genetically not lucky. I can definitely get a "normal" looking butt if i keep going.

When you say eating in surplus.. so you are gaining weight eating 2200 cals?

Also it's only been 2 months.. give it way more time, I've been working on mine for two years
  • serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    ryry_ wrote: »
    I'm female, 45, 5'8", 129 lbs, 19-20% body fat. Eating 80 grams protein a day; 2200 cals in total.

Two months ago, I was able to hip thrust just the Olympic barbel and I was in a lot of pain for 3 days afterwards.

As of yesterday, it's two 45 lb plates on the Olympic barbel = 135 lbs!!!

I did 1 set of 8, 1 set of 10, 1 set of 10 and I held it for 5 seconds on each last rep...SO PROUD!!!

How much muscle can that pack on to my butt? I can't believe I got that barbell up!!!! Holy moly!!! I couldn't do a fourth set; it burned too much and I felt weak after the 3rd set.

The next day, my butt doesn't hurt like it used to??? I feel it, but I can stand up without being in pain.

Also doing compound exercises like squats, deadlifts, cable pull throughs and reverse hyper-extensions, quadrupled extensions all with maximum weight I can stand.

Did you take some before and afters?

Some other excercises i don't see listed that are great for glutes IME.

- Romanian Deadlifts
    - Leg Press with Feet High on Platform
    - Deep Lunges
    - Bulgarian Split Squats
    - Cable Glute Kickbacks

Another mistake people commonly make is they don't focus on the contraction during the movement and let more dominant muscles take over.

During hip thrusts letting hamstrings take over
    During hip hinge movements (RDL , Hypers) make sure to begin the acension with a strong contraction of the glutes or the lower back and hamstrings
    Squatting movements make sure to focus on burying those heels through the floor

yes, I'm doing all the stuff above also, but perhaps it just takes time to build the glutes. I cannot afford to pay a PT anymore. I just paid $1,200 for 3.5 months of a PT twice a week.

yesterday I did:

4 sets hip thrusts
    1. 10 reps of 155 lbs
    2. 8 reps of 155 lbs
    3. 10 reps of 135 lbs
    4. 9 reps of 135 lbs (failure)

Goblet squats
    3 sets of 20 lbs - 12 reps

Cable Donkey kicks
    3 sets of 20 using 30 lbs

Cable Curtsey Squats
    3 sets of 15 using 40 lbs
  • serapel
    how much does Strong Curves cost?
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    I've seen Chinese acrobats (athletes) with the flattest butts ever. It could be that they are genetically challenged or it could be that their training is not activating the glutes.

You have indicated results after three months of glute-specific training. You are progressing.
    I'm female, 45, 5'8", 129 lbs, 19-20% body fat. Eating 80 grams protein a day; 2200 cals in total.

Two months ago, I was able to hip thrust just the Olympic barbel and I was in a lot of pain for 3 days afterwards.

I did 1 set of 8, 1 set of 10, 1 set of 10 and I held it for 5 seconds on each last rep...SO PROUD!!!

How much muscle can that pack on to my butt? I can't believe I got that barbell up!!!! Holy moly!!! I couldn't do a fourth set; it burned too much and I felt weak after the 3rd set.

The next day, my butt doesn't hurt like it used to??? I feel it, but I can stand up without being in pain.

Also doing compound exercises like squats, deadlifts, cable pull throughs and reverse hyper-extensions, quadrupled extensions all with maximum weight I can stand.

- Romanian Deadlifts
    - Deep Lunges
    - Bulgarian Split Squats
    - Cable Glute Kickbacks

Another mistake people commonly make is they don't focus on the contraction during the movement and let more dominant muscles take over.

During hip hinge movements (RDL , Hypers) make sure to begin the acension with a strong contraction of the glutes or the lower back and hamstrings

yes, I'm doing all the stuff above also, but perhaps it just takes time to build the glutes. I cannot afford to pay a PT anymore. I just paid $1,200 for 3.5 months of a PT twice a week.

yesterday I did:

4 sets hip thrusts
    1. 10 reps of 155 lbs
    2. 8 reps of 155 lbs
    3. 10 reps of 135 lbs

Goblet squats

Cable Donkey kicks

Cable Curtsey Squats

I might adjust rest periods between hip thrusts. Rest longer at the higher weight. Maybe try 4x8 at 155 lbs. Or shorter rest periods at the lighter weight. Maybe 5x10 at 135.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    The book cost $35. And has all the illustrations you need for glutes.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,887 Member

- Romanian Deadlifts
    - Deep Lunges
    - Bulgarian Split Squats
    - Cable Glute Kickbacks

yesterday I did:

4 sets hip thrusts
    1. 10 reps of 155 lbs
    2. 8 reps of 155 lbs
    3. 10 reps of 135 lbs

Goblet squats

Cable Donkey kicks

Cable Curtsey Squats
    Hour long sessions? And that's a good base for glute work.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• serapel
    ninerbuff wrote: »

- Romanian Deadlifts
    - Deep Lunges
    - Bulgarian Split Squats
    - Cable Glute Kickbacks

yesterday I did:

4 sets hip thrusts
    1. 10 reps of 155 lbs
    2. 8 reps of 155 lbs
    3. 10 reps of 135 lbs

Goblet squats

Cable Donkey kicks

Cable Curtsey Squats
    Hour long sessions? And that's a good base for glute work.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

yes about 1 hour and I am exhausted afterwards. I'm trying for sure :)