Exercising at night

I am so not a morning person and throughout my weight loss journey I have been working out at night. I'm on a steady pace as far as losing weight but I want to kick things into high gear. How many of you work out at night only? How many of you work out in the mornings? Should I switch to mornings or does it even matter?...just want to get on a quicker pace.

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    doesnt matter
  • Jecka987
    Jecka987 Posts: 47 Member
    It totally doesn't matter, calories in vs calories out, when you burn the calories out (or consume the calories in for that matter) makes no difference. I work out after work. Like you I'm not a morning person and the added pain of having to get up early to exercise was just stupid for me - so I don't :) What kind of workouts do you do? If you want to kick things up why not try adding something more dynamic to your work out, like interval training or a high intensity circuit?
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    The only issue you may find with working out at night is it may take you longer to fall asleep than normal. I workout after work, sometimes my workout doesn't end until about 8:45pm, and generally I'm not able to fall asleep before midnight. Now that isn't a problem for me, but it could be a problem for you. Just try it out for a few weeks and see how your body responds to evening workouts.

I stopped morning workouts b/c I preferred that extra bit of time sleeping.
  • pinkshiningstar
    pinkshiningstar Posts: 141 Member
    Whatever time of day you're the most productive (and can make the most out of your workout), is the time of day you should. I tried the AM thing, but I was always on the tired side and didn't push myself as hard. Evenings ended up being the best option for me.
  • DeLonlj27
    DeLonlj27 Posts: 5 Member
    Jecka987 wrote: »
    It totally doesn't matter, calories in vs calories out, when you burn the calories out (or consume the calories in for that matter) makes no difference. I work out after work. Like you I'm not a morning person and the added pain of having to get up early to exercise was just stupid for me - so I don't :) What kind of workouts do you do? If you want to kick things up why not try adding something more dynamic to your work out, like interval training or a high intensity circuit?
    Ok thanks. I have been looking for something else to do besides Shaun T, treadmill and other cardio
  • DeLonlj27
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »
    The only issue you may find with working out at night is it may take you longer to fall asleep than normal. I workout after work, sometimes my workout doesn't end until about 8:45pm, and generally I'm not able to fall asleep before midnight. Now that isn't a problem for me, but it could be a problem for you. Just try it out for a few weeks and see how your body responds to evening workouts.

I stopped morning workouts b/c I preferred that extra bit of time sleeping.
    Thanks! I'm the same. Once I workout at night I'm up late.
  • DeLonlj27
    Whatever time of day you're the most productive (and can make the most out of your workout), is the time of day you should. I tried the AM thing, but I was always on the tired side and didn't push myself as hard. Evenings ended up being the best option for me.
    I like working out at night I just wondered if I should try something different to boost things. It's usually about 9pm when I workout.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    I've done everything. Personally, I like to do more high intensity in the morning to wake up, and things like yoga and walking at night. But echo what everyone else has said - where you are the most productive, and will keep doing is the most effective time to work out. If you want to speed things up, shake up your work outs. Try new things!
  • jjalbertt
    jjalbertt Posts: 98 Member
    I normally work out at night..but sometimes it just depends when I'm not busy.
    I find doing some light yoga(in my bedroom haha) in the morning and my other exercises at night helpful. My body feels great all day and not just some of the day, which can benefit my night workout! :)
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Yep, it doesn't matter. I generally start working out 7 or 8pm.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    In the last 8 months, I've worked out before 8pm maybe half a dozen times. Usually it's 8pm-9pm workout, shower then a snack. I typically go to bed between 10:30-11:30pm. Also, I'm one of those people who doesn't have problems with sleep after working out at night. Heck, my post-workout snack includes a coffee lol.