Glute bridges

I tried glute bridges a few months ago but found the bar hurt too much (even with padding) when I had a high enough weight for it to be quite difficult (eg to only be able to do 3x5 sets). My ovaries felt squished ;). But I keep reading that they're great for a good bum. If I was to do more reps at a lighter weight, say 30kg, do you think this would still have an effect?

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    What effect/goals are you looking for?

Are you deficit, maintenance, or surplus?

This must be answered before you start receiving random answers from people.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    edited August 2016
    I started doing hip thrusts with a 40 lb pre-loaded barbell. (I found that I was always struggling to keep the weight from rolling up my stomach when I did glute bridges.) You can definitely feel it, but you can also increase weight pretty quickly. I was up to 60 lbs in just a few weeks. After that I couldn't wrestle 80 lbs onto my lap so I've since moved over to the Smith machine. But even starting out I needed to borrow the neck roll from the squat rack. Now I use a mat (similar to a yoga mat, but thicker, that our gym has for floor work & classes) folded in 4. I'm not sure if this will actually work with my Facebook permissions, but you can try to watch this video.
  • Wombat468
    Wombat468 Posts: 191 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    What effect/goals are you looking for?

Are you deficit, maintenance, or surplus?

This must be answered before you start receiving random answers from people.

Sorry, I'm looking to make my bum less flat. I'm in maintenance and have already seen great newbie gains in the rest of my body.
  • Wombat468
    AlisonH729 wrote: »
    I started doing hip thrusts with a 40 lb pre-loaded barbell. (I found that I was always struggling to keep the weight from rolling up my stomach when I did glute bridges.) You can definitely feel it, but you can also increase weight pretty quickly. I was up to 60 lbs in just a few weeks. After that I couldn't wrestle 80 lbs it onto my lap so I've since moved over to the Smith machine. But even starting out I needed to borrow the neck roll from the squat rack. Now I use a mat (similar to a yoga mat, but thicker, that our gym has for floor work & classes) folded in 4. I'm not sure if this will actually work with my Facebook permissions, but you can try to watch a video here.

Oh that's very interesting, thanks! I hadn't thought of using the smith machine.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    edited August 2016
    CiaraCatch wrote: »
    Oh that's very interesting, thanks! I hadn't thought of using the smith machine.

I know attitudes towards the Smith machine vary but if Bret recommends it, I'm in. (Also our gym doesn't have bumper plates so it's the only way to do them while I'm in this weight range.)

Edited again to add that that link includes a bunch of variations. Because it seems like the pain is the limiting factor here, and not a reluctance to lift heavier. :smile:
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Hip thrusts are much easier than bridges for me. I fold up a thick yoga mat for cushioning and use bumper plates for rise. The elevated position of hip thrusts make it easier for me to move more weight. I will train 5x5 of deadlift weight or 5x8+ of row weight (varying pace).
  • DreesPerformanceTraining
    DreesPerformanceTraining Posts: 187 Member
    edited August 2016
    I keep my clients in the 5-15 rep range - usually 5-10, rarely higher than that. If it's too light, you are probably going to quit from the burning, before actual muscular failure happens.

The trick is to push the bar down into the crease of your hips, to keep it off your bladder and pelvis. I can go up to around 225lb without needing a pad by doing this.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Ive just started using weight on my hip thrusts and I just put a pool noodle around the bar. Seems to work for now.
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Its been awhile, but I think I remember in Strong Curves, that he mentions different people responding to different stimuli. Like some do well with high load/low rep and vice versa, so the program mixes it up.

I do one day of heavy barbell hip thrusts, and use a cut up pool noodle, too! It eventually tears at higher weights, but you get a lot of pads from one pool noodle ;) . Another day, I'll do higher rep. I'm with @DreesPerformanceTraining on bar positioning, it shouldn't be squishing your ovaries!

I agree its a PITA to either squeeze under/roll the bar over, so for lower loads, I opt for single-leg hip thrusts/glute bridges with the empty bar or a dumbbell instead.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    What kind of pad were you using? I recommend the Squat Sponge.

You can do band glute bridges and hip thrusts. I'd still try working up to heavier weights though. Once you have gone heavier for awhile, the discomfort goes away.
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Doubled up yoga mat works great, or a pool noodle. I've used both at lifting 135 lbs and these prevent the bruises I get otherwise
  • ArvinSloane
    ArvinSloane Posts: 80 Member
    edited August 2016
    I'll second the suggestion for a Squat Sponge. I use mine in conjunction with the lower bar position mentioned above and have never had any issues up to 225lbs (max so far).
  • Wombat468
    edited August 2016
    I've just been using the wrap around pad - like a pool noodle - that's used for squats. I tried last night with 40kg and my pubic bone still hurt! I pushed it into my thigh crease but that's still over my pubic bone :(. Will look into squat sponges/yoga mats - thanks!