Food searches

Options
Is there some magic to getting the food searches to not pull up 50+entries of the same item? Im annoyed that some items have so many entries that I cant trust the inputted info im constantly double checking.

Any tips for easier searches?
Thanks

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Matching your wording to the USDA entry will result in (sometimes) pulling up more accurate information. But I still recommend double-checking when you're entering a food for the first time.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    It can be frustrating at first, but once you have an entry that matches the label it will be in your recent/frequent foods tab and easily accessible next time.
  • Dayle1984
    Dayle1984 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Another options is taking the time to enter most of what you eat frequently into "my foods" so you know it's accurate and then just add from there. I eat the same things most days so this didn't take me too long.
  • kelsey_frame_666
    kelsey_frame_666 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    For items with barcodes I always use the scanner. Anything else I either quick add or save to my foods.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    You can use 'usda' in your search, or just be as precise as possible - 'bananas, raw', 'sirloin, cooked, lean' etc. I do double check some entries with the USDA database though, mostly for meats as entries seem to be all over the place on MFP.

https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list

Otherwise, most of the 50+ entries are usually accurate, so just double check quickly and use one.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I enter all my foods manually myself and don't share with the database. Even if you choose a correct entry someone can come along and edit it thinking they're entering it correctly and you wouldn't even know about it. That's the only way to know 100% that it's correct all of the time.