Green Tea, Grapefruit Juice & Other Urban Legends

Options
Hey everyone I started this because I wanted talk about some of the Urban Legends surrounding weight loss. Just in my own experience I've heard all kinds of little household tricks for weight loss, from Green Tea to Apple Cider Vinegar with Grapefruit juice. I am sure each person has their own story about these and many others so less hear them! I'm doing Keto myself right now and I've been relatively successful with it, I'm almost at the 15lbs mark in just over a month. One additional thing I've added into my Keto is taking one tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar 30 minutes before dinner. I do not know if this is contributing to my weight loss or not. I will say that my family has a history of digestive problems from cancer to Celiacs. I have not been officially diagnosed with anything because I won't go to the doctor, but I do share many symptoms with them and since I added the vinegar my symptoms have lessened. This could be placebo, but as long as it's working I don't see the harm. What are your stories?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Placebo in place of going to doctor. Hmmm
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Dude. Go to the doctor. Seriously. Don't play around with this.
  • actualbettycrocker
    actualbettycrocker Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Please go see a doctor.....
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I remember when starvation mode was real and now it's a myth. I wonder what things we do now that we think are helping us lose weight will be a myth in years to come.
    Also 1000 calories was the number of calories you shouldn't go below, now it's 1200 calories.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Please go see a doctor.....

This
  • alienws1998
    alienws1998 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I think we got off topic. I appreciate the concern for my health, but that's not what I meant to have here. I meant to discuss some of the Urban Legends surrounding weight loss.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I think we got off topic. I appreciate the concern for my health, but that's not what I meant to have here. I meant to discuss some of the Urban Legends surrounding weight loss.

It's a good topic, don't get me wrong. In fact, your use of acv to hide symptoms of a potentially serious disease is exactly why it needs to be discussed.

That said, I'm not sure how focus can be shifted off of the initial post, since it's the first thing everyone will see upon opening.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I'm a little confused. "Urban Legends" are things that aren't true. You want to hear about diet tricks that don't work?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I can tell you the story of how I ignored gi symptoms including bleeding for a long long time until I passed out and went to the er. I had a colonoscopy the next week and I was diagnosed with very severe Crohn's, was days away from perforating and almost died, oh and the lovely 34 day stay in the hospital on tpn, etc. Now I rely on super strong meds (biologic, immunosuppressants, etc) just to function which I probably could have avoided if i was diagnosed and started treatment when I was mild-moderate. Now my intestines are full of scar tissue, fistulas, and polyps because of my waiting to go to the Dr.
  • fr33sia12
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Sorry @alienws1998 but one thing you'll learn on these forums is that there's always people that go off topic, never actually just answer your question and love sarcasm.
    This is why I very rarely ask questions on here, I will message certain people I've got to know & know will help.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I can tell you the story of how I ignored gi symptoms including bleeding for a long long time until I passed out and went to the er. I had a colonoscopy the next week and I was diagnosed with very severe Crohn's, was days away from perforating and almost died, oh and the lovely 34 day stay in the hospital on tpn, etc. Now I rely on super strong meds (biologic, immunosuppressants, etc) just to function which I probably could have avoided if i was diagnosed and started treatment when I was mild-moderate. Now my intestines are full of scar tissue, fistulas, and polyps because of my waiting to go to the Dr.

A dear friend ignored his Crohn's for a long time. Now he's on the waiting list for a liver.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    You don't need to see a doctor! Vinegar is the cure to everything!
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    fr33sia12 wrote: »
    Sorry @alienws1998 but one thing you'll learn on these forums is that there's always people that go off topic, never actually just answer your question and love sarcasm.
    This is why I very rarely ask questions on here, I will message certain people I've got to know & know will help.

It's not off topic. It's in direct reply to what they wrote in their OP. If they didn't want the input, they should have left it out and just asked the question.
  • fr33sia12
    Options

Excuse me, but do I see that correctly that you're basically telling someone who might have CANCER to not listen to the people who tell them to go to a doctor?

Of course not, I meant to quote this

Op was the one to bring up going off topic.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

what? I see you all over the forums every day. :lol: