What foods to avoid??

Options
Hey I'm working on losing weight trying to get 20 lbs down by October... Let's just say I do weigh 220lbs now and I'm 5'9" at age 22... I'm trying to figure out what foods I should be avoiding to get this weight off.. Or what foods will help to lose the weight!! I have start incorporating some exercise in my day too just a little limited on what I can do because of major lower back pains... Any help or advice would be very much appreciated?!?!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You don't have to avoid any foods. No foods helps you lose weight. You lose weight by taking in fewer calories than you burn/expend.

Talk to your doctor/get a referral to physical therapist for back pain. Pain can also resolve itself by weight loss alone (that happened to me), but it depends on the reason for the pain.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    Stop labeling food as either "good" or "bad" and instead look at any food as a source of calories and macros.

This
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    You don't have to avoid any food if you don't want to and just concentrate on getting a calorie deficit. Personally I'm in this for good and made the decision not just to lose weight but to change to a healthy lifestyle. I avoid meat (except for fish) I've cut down on added sugar and salt and am in the process of cutting out dairy. I also cut out alcohol for now too. This is just my personal choice, but you have to find what works for you and what you are happy with.
    I've noticed a big difference in my energy levels, my fitness, my digestion, sleep and my mind. Also hormonaly too.
  • Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    You don't have to avoid any foods. No foods helps you lose weight. You lose weight by taking in fewer calories than you burn/expend.

You can eat whatever you like so long as you reduce the amount of calories you consume. Stick to your calorie goals and whatever you like to eat fits into it, that's it.
  • BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Ignore anyone who tells you you can't do it.
    Answer this question: If you succeeded in losing 20 pounds in a bit over 6 weeks (3+ pounds a week), HOW would you have done it? I think the average person has a pretty good idea of how to lose weight. But to lose 3+ pounds a week you'll have to be relentless.

- Take my word for it: You will HAVE to exercise however you can, almost every day, to lose weight that fast.
    - Focus on portions, and focus on meeting a calorie goal. There's too much testing your will power for you to also be selective about the foods you eat; so JUST focus on calories.
    - Drink lots of water. You'll need to drink extra to rehydrate after all that exercise.
    - NO cheat days. In fact, keep cheat meals to an absolute minimum. There is very little margin for error.
    - Be satisfied with whatever you lose, even if you don't quite make it to 20 pounds. Most people want to be "seen" as having lost weight. And there's almost no difference, visually, between weighing 200 and 205.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    There are no foods to avoid to get your weight off.
    However if certain foods trigger you to eat too much to where you are overeating your calories then cut them out for now or learn to moderate. (this used to be Oreos for me)
    There are no foods to eat that cause more weight loss
    However, if there are certain foods that you might find more filling that fit into your calories so you don't overeat and are able to stay within your limit which in turn causes you to lose weight then eat those (this is potatoes,protein, and vegetables for me)

As you can see, this varies from person to person. There are no good or bad foods (unless allergy or spoilt)
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    Stop labeling food as either "good" or "bad" and instead look at any food as a source of calories and macros.

Agreed. You don't have to eat anything in particular or cut anything out, just eat less. That said though, there are definitely foods that offer more bang for their calorie buck. All those lists you find around the internet about the best foods for weight loss (take them with a grain of salt but...) they usually contain a lot of the same players: eggs, salmon, lean meats & poultry, beans, leafy greens. There's no magic recipe though.
  • caradack1985
    caradack1985 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Avoid any foods that encourage you to binge, if you don't feel you have the willpower to take a controlled amount and then put it down it might be best to avoid it, for now.

Do eat, whatever you like really, make sure you incorporate foods you really love so you don't feel restricted. I like to eat a chocolate bar every day, it makes me happy.
  • afort001
    afort001 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have a question and I'm not trying to provoke because I'm new to this, but when people say 200 calories of protein is the same as 200 calories of carbs and it won't affect your weight loss how you get those calories ..... But it takes more energy for you body to burn off protein than carbs. So your metabolism increases if you eat 200 calories of protein over 200 calories of carbs. So you would lose weight eating the protein..... Am I wrong here or misunderstanding ?
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Avoid foods you're allergic to, or food that is spoiled. Or foods that lead you to binging. Personally I cannot open a bag of cherry flavored Twizzler nibs without eating the whole thing. And the I-can't-believe-I-ate-the-whole-bag/sugar overload stomach-ache comes on about 5 minutes after the last one is gone.
    Hey I'm working on losing weight trying to get 20 lbs down by October... Let's just say I do weigh 220lbs now and I'm 5'9" at age 22... I'm trying to figure out what foods I should be avoiding to get this weight off.. Or what foods will help to lose the weight!! I have start incorporating some exercise in my day too just a little limited on what I can do because of major lower back pains... Any help or advice would be very much appreciated?!?!

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    The calories burned due to food digestion is already accounted for in your BMR. And realistically you need some of each macro for health & well-being. Some macro-combinations may make you feel full longer or have a varied impact on your energy levels, muscle retention, etc., but in the question of weight loss CICO is the answer.
    afort001 wrote: »
    I have a question and I'm not trying to provoke because I'm new to this, but when people say 200 calories of protein is the same as 200 calories of carbs and it won't affect your weight loss how you get those calories ..... But it takes more energy for you body to burn off protein than carbs. So your metabolism increases if you eat 200 calories of protein over 200 calories of carbs. So you would lose weight eating the protein..... Am I wrong here or misunderstanding ?

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Don't have to avoid anything. But most likely need to significantly restrict foods that are calorie dense and nutritionally sparse to get adequate nutrients on a weight reduction diet.

Best of luck.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

That's true, but really how many extra calories burned are we talking about? It's not going to make any measurable difference for most people.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Spoiled/off foods, burned foods, foods covered in dirt/flies,foods that you're allergic or intolerant to, foods that don't taste good to you.

Weigh all your food and log it all.
    BDonjon wrote: »
    You will HAVE to exercise however you can, almost every day, to lose weight that fast.
    No. A calorie deficit is for weight loss.. Many have lost weight without doing any.
  • afort001
    Options
    It seems I read burning protein 20% and burning carbs was like 9%
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

It's called TEF (Thermic Effect of Food). Yes, the TEF of protein is higher than fats or carbs, but it's majoring in the minors to concern yourself with it. People don't usually eat meals (or have an overall diet) consisting of 100% protein, 100% carbs or 100% fats, so looking at the macronutrients in isolation is overthinking it. It's "neat to know" stuff, but in the big picture it doesn't make a significant difference.

[ETA:] Here's a research review worth reading which explains it more thoroughly: https://bretcontreras.com/is-the-thermic-effect-of-food-higher-if-you-are-lean/
  • afort001
    Options
    But I am doing the calories in and calories out . But I haven't been eating a lot of carbs or sugar. High protein foods make me not so hungry , and sugary stuff just makes me want more sugar.
    Thanks for the responses , I have been doing this almost 3 weeks and have lost 8 pounds . And I'm excited bc I really , for once , don't walk around hungry all the time . Sometimes I have trouble trying to get all my calories in .