Appetite during injury

Options
Hi, got a quick question. I've noticed that whenever I have an injury (in this case, I pulled an ab muscle so that it's an effort to walk 3x a day for 15 minutes and basic housework can be painful) that my appetite goes through the roof. Particularly for simple carbs, which is not my usual craving fare (I'm a savory over sweet person). Does this happen to anyone else?

It doesn't make sense to me because I'm moving so much less. How can my appetite sky rocket?

Replies

• vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    I've personally been dealing with this due to an injured knee. Personally, I have chalked it up to two reasons.

1. When the body is healing, it utilizes the energy from calories to fix the problems. Not much, but some. It's why we often suggest folks to eat at maintenance after a surgery.

2. It's a mind game. When I'm injured, I cannot work out and get extra calories to utilize. My mind isn't willing to accept that. It's the idea that it wants what it can't have. This is what I find to be true more than anything in my case. Just trying to keep busy sometimes help.