I Love Fat :(

Options
Hello all!

I'm having a terrible time with macros, it seems. My unhealthy splurges are fatty, carby things, so I try to limit them and replace them with healthier things, and my healthier choices are STILL fatty and carby. I'm not a huge meat eater, so I've been trying to incorporate other forms of protein, but they all seem to be tied to fat in some way. Peanut butter, eggs, cottage cheese, protein shakes...I love, love veggies and fish, but they count as carbs, and then once you add in olive oil or butter or whatever, I'm back to high fat! I'd rather not eat quinoa 5 times a day, but I'm kind of at a loss on how to up my protein to 40% and reduce my fat at the same time without eating dry chicken breasts exclusively.

Any help would be appreciated! :)

Replies

• BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I love fat too. I eat fat.

Try to balance your macros and keep you total calories under control.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    That's because fat is delicious!

Today,it's consumed 44% of my calories. Granted, I wasn't really trying to cut back today (or I wouldn't have had my husband make Mexican food), but I seriously cannot get anywhere near the 40% protein my trainer wants me at.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,157 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with fat. It is overall calorie deficit that is of primary importance.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with fat. It is overall calorie deficit that is of primary importance.

Ditto. If trying to balance your macros will make your plan too hard you won't stick with it. Do what you can to better the quality of your diet if that's important to you, but don't let it get to you so much that you start to hate it and then quit. I don't know how long you've been working on your weight loss but maybe you could simply work on your calorie deficit until that becomes easier and then work on your macros. Slowly, though. You don't have to do it all at once.

Also, I love fat. Mayo...:love::heart: :love: :heart: :love: :blushing:
  • MsEndomorph
    Options

Ditto. If trying to balance your macros will make your plan too hard you won't stick with it. Do what you can to better the quality of your diet if that's important to you, but don't let it get to you so much that you start to hate it and then quit. I don't know how long you've been working on your weight loss but maybe you could simply work on your calorie deficit until that becomes easier and then work on your macros. Slowly, though. You don't have to do it all at once.

Also, I love fat. Mayo...:love::heart: :love: :heart: :love: :blushing:

I definitely think I might quit worrying about macros for a bit and settle more into the calorie counting alone. I think it's too much at once.
    The only reason I'm concerned about it is I'm putting a lot of time and effort into weight lifting, and I've been told that high fat/low protein is the exact opposite of the diet I should be eating
  • babyangelica2010
    babyangelica2010 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Healthy fats are good for you, people are too worried about fat.
  • MsEndomorph
    Options
    Healthy fats are good for you, people are too worried about fat.

From a weight loss perspective, I agree with you.

As a health care professional...ehhhhhh. I think people worry too little. Extremes on both ends, I guess.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I love fat, too, but not on me.
    I'm a firm believer in "You are what you eat."
    I never worry at all about the carbs (or anything else) in raw veggies. Eat as many and as much veggies, raw or steamed, as you want. You need some carbs anyway; they might as well be nutritious carbs.
    I don't worry about the carbs in legumes, either. I eat at least a cup of some kind of beans a day.
    I never worry about the sugars (or anything else) in whole fruits, either. I eat 4-6 fruits a day. At least.
    I do, however, limit my fats somewhat. I primarily get my fats from nuts and seeds, avocados and bananas, whole natural sources. I just try not to go overboard on those, since I am not overly active and am still trying to lose 10 more pounds.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    How do fish have carbs?
  • MsEndomorph
    Options
    How do fish have carbs?

Because I only eat it fried!

Actually, it was a typo I was too lazy to fix ;) Fish is upping my fat.
  • melwharris91
    melwharris91 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Most days I log in I am normally over my budget in fat. I lost ten pounds in the month I've been doing mfp so i must be doing something right. I try to focus on eating fruits and veggies for fiber and try to eat mostly healthy fats lfrom nuts and olive oil. I also. try to have some kind of protein whether it be from yogurt cheese or meat. I also eat very little bread or pasta so the csrbs I get are mostly from fruit and veggies
  • RunningRichelle
    RunningRichelle Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    About two months ago, I noticed that I was over my allotted fat intake almost every day. For things like coconut oil, nuts, seeds, and avocados.

After looking and looking, I found a site called marksdailyapple.com.

I really suggest you take a look! I'm a nurse, so I love my science and well-done research.

This guy supports all his statements with good research.

Now, about 65% of my calories every day are from delicious, high-quality fats, including grass-fed beef and butter (YUM). And the scale is on the way back down again.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    As long as you eat enough protein it's fine
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    About two months ago, I noticed that I was over my allotted fat intake almost every day. For things like coconut oil, nuts, seeds, and avocados.

After looking and looking, I found a site called marksdailyapple.com.

I really suggest you take a look! I'm a nurse, so I love my science and well-done research.

This guy supports all his statements with good research.

Now, about 65% of my calories every day are from delicious, high-quality fats, including grass-fed beef and butter (YUM). And the scale is on the way back down again.

Hmmm, not sure if you're serious or not. Sisson and well researched don't often go together
  • pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Hit your protein and don't worry about going over on fat
  • splashblob
    splashblob Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I am a fan of fat too, and I have the same problem. When I try to eat more protein, I go over on fat macro or sodium easily. When I tried to add more vegetable and fruit, then my carb intake will be very high instead. :(
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Try cooking your vegetables in the same pan as some higher fat meat - that will get you that tasty grease coating without having to add additional sources of it. Consider switching to chicken thighs instead of those dry annoying chicken breasts. Other high-protein things that aren't quinoa (I avoid it too for financial and ethical reasons) include beans, seeds, tofu/soy, and seitan (wheat protein).
  • RunningRichelle
    RunningRichelle Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, not sure if you're serious or not. Sisson and well researched don't often go together

I am serious, and since my degree and my income mostly rely on my ability to spot poorly-done research, I'm gonna stick with what I said. I look up the statements made before blindly following. That, the rate my bf% is dropping without me having to spend hours slaving in the gym, and the awesome food I get to eat every day leave me pretty happy!

Why shouldn't I share what's working for me?
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I've lost 75 pounds eating a diet that averages around 70% fat. I wouldn't worry about it too much.