Muscle Recovery (Soreness)

Options
Hi everyone,
Just started adding boxing and TRX onto my weight lifting routine and have achieved incredible soreness along my back, neck, and shoulders. Any tips or tricks? How should I speed up my recovery for the future and how long should I wait before working on the same muscle group? Day after cardio and blood flow appears to help, but I am worried I am not allowing time to heal.

Thoughts?

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    It's not injury per se, it's muscle repair (which is injury in a way but not really that dramatic) a unilateral pain would be an injury

DOMS Generally comes on 24-48 hours after increasing intensity or utilising new muscles and goes as quickly

To minimise it warm up, cool down appropriately ..use a roller

Ibuprofen, cold packs, heat packs, rest if really bad

But generally there's no reason you can't exercise through DOMS unless it's too bad in which case leave it till it's manageable ..use different muscle grow

Day 2 is usually the worst IME then it gets better
  • klove808
    klove808 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Hi. I've had lovely experiences with Doms... The latest success I have had with quickish recovery is a combination of more sleep, whey powder/bananas, more water, ibuprofen and an Epsom salt/sea salt/essential oil bath - worked like magic ( especially the bath). After this half a day experience, it was like nothing had ever happened Doms-wise.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't take ibuprofen. It is an anti inflammatory. Inflammation is just part of healing and isn't a bad thing. Usually just moving around helps me. The first hour or two may be uncomfortable but I find that the more I move around the better I feel.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    The only things that speeds up recovery from DOMS, is nothing. It takes 1 -2 -3 days depending on severity and rest. DOMS is cured with full fledged sleep and good nutrition.

You can work out again, you can stretch, take hots baths, take anti-inflam etc. and you might get some temp relief, but it temp.
  • Mahdi707
    Mahdi707 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Eat blueberries, cherries, and try to carb up with some pasta.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Mahdi707 wrote: »
    Eat blueberries, cherries, and try to carb up with some pasta.

Why?
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Love the DOMS. Embrace the DOMS. Soon, you'll start missing it.
  • theajensvold
    theajensvold Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the insight everyone. It seems like I should focus on rolling immediately after and eat potassium/protein? I doubt I'll miss this Doms - I have never had such aching in my life. My whole back is on fire. Might actually need ibuprofen.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    There is a good chance that no matter what you do, that DOMS will occur.
  • edwardetr
    edwardetr Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Carbs and protein together immediately after working may help.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    edwardetr wrote: »

Why?
  • klove808
    klove808 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    ^some sort of cellular thing

I saw somewhere that pickle juice / pickles is a popular option too.

If it's too much, massage helps a lot too, even just a simple self massage does wonders.
  • psuLemon
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    edwardetr wrote: »

Why?

I suppose it's due to the fact that causes would replenish glycogen, signal muscle protein synthesis and prevent protein degradation/protein breakdown, and protein would break down to the amino acids and support muscle growth and recovery.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    klove808 wrote: »
    ^some sort of cellular thing

I saw somewhere that pickle juice / pickles is a popular option too.

If it's too much, massage helps a lot too, even just a simple self massage does wonders.

Pickles and pickle juice are loaded with sodium, which would support replenishment of electrolytes. I remember this being a thing with many football plays about 10 years ago.
  • BodyzLanguage
    BodyzLanguage Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Get *Quality * sleep. Everything is waffle.
  • scarlet56393
    scarlet56393 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Carbs. They do wonders for recovery
  • Budjola
    Budjola Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    roller and tiger balm
  • jasonsunlee
    jasonsunlee Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Consider a post recovery supplement. They're chalk full of BCAAs which will help with muscle recovery and repair. Every time you work out, you're likely causing muscle tears which in turn cause the soreness. The recovery periods take longer, but with a healthy dose of BCAAs (10grams or less) a day, you should have substantially less soreness.

I've done a lot of research on supplements. Try reading up on nutrabio. They fully disclose all ingredients in their post recovery. I highly recommend and currently use the post recovery. I've used it for over 6 months and have had great results in my personal opinion.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Lot's of food, water. 24-36hrs and you should be aight.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Magnesium supplement, soak in tub of hot water with epsom salts, then dry off and put Ben-Gay on.