Can I count tea as part of my daily water intake?

Options
I don't drink a lot everyday, but sometimes I get sick of water and drink tea all day. We drink decaf and sweeten it with splenda. I just wonder if I can count that as part of my daily water intake since it's basically flavored water?

Replies

• I have been told as long as it is decaf it could....I mean, people count flavored waters as water so I think it's hypocritical to say you can't do the same with your "brown" flavored water;)
  • ecdce
    ecdce Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Water in everything 'counts'. Soup, fruit, veg, tea, plain water, etc. Just aim to have your pee be pale to very pale yellow. In the beginning, you should be drinking enough to have to pee every hour or so (assuming you aren't used to drinking enough liquids, which a great many people aren't. Then your body will quickly adjust so you will pee every 2 to 3 hours. It might seem annoying to have to use the restroom every two hours, but it will soon become normal :)

You can also adjust to drinking more water by starting with something you enjoy, like tea or crystal light or whatever, and gradually water it down more and more so you are drinking water that is very lightly flavored. Or, make a deal with yourself that for every glass of tea you have, you must have a glass of water. Then, for every glass of tea, two glasses of water.
  • afreelandgti
    Options
    I agree with this. Water in foods and items like protein shakes all count, but use baby steps to get to the point where you are drinking more clear water. What I did was go cold turkey on sodas and fruit juices. I only have a powdered 0 cal mix with my meals. Any other time that I'm thirsty I drink straight water. That keeps me from becoming dependent on the powder mix.

I think your body would accept decaffeinated unsweetened tea the same as water but of course if you add a bunch of sugar or honey things change. Just stick with the sweetener as you're doing now.
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    You can do whatever you want you want really. But I think it would be fine it was decaf and you don't add anything to it.
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Yes, but I have read that up to four tea or coffees count, but when you start drinking more, the caffeine effects you and you can dehydrate then. So like anything in moderation. I know you said you drink decaf, but I think it would be the same. If all you drunk was tea , maybe not as good as drinking some straight water or water from other foods etc.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    If it has water in it, it counts. Technically, even a soda counts, although the caffeine and sugar and sodium would probably defeat the purpose of drinking it and you'd probably need to balance it out with an actual glass of water.

I'm a water "purist" - I drink it constantly and almost exclusively (I do like my alc-y-hol), but your body isn't so awesome that it says "this water has had LEAVES steeped in it! Rubbish!"

Enjoy your tea :)
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    No. Cause magic.
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Drink whatever you would like, just track the calories. You don't have to drink 8 glasses a day.