Lifting while eating a deficit

Options
Is there any point in doing weight training when I'm eating a deficit? Should I just lift light with more reps or just stick to strictly cardio?

Replies

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    It helped me lose 20ish pounds while retaining most of my existing muscle. So yes, there is a point if that's your goal.
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I think weight lifting is even more important than cardio when you eat at a deficit. Keep up bone and muscle mass.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Strength work (of which weight training is a sub-set) helps to maintain muscle when on calorific deficit and so is recommended to ensure that weight lost is primarily fat (not muscle).

On of the other important factors in retaining muscle when losing weight is eating sufficient protein.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Yes. You can do heavier weight & lower reps too.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    I didn't vary my weight lifting from being in a surplus to being in a deficit. Helps to hold onto muscle.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    I didn't vary my weight lifting from being in a surplus to being in a deficit. Helps to hold onto muscle.

^^True
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, I have been on a heavy lifting program and deficit for a year. Down 50 pounds of fat and increased muscle by 10 pounds. Eat a high protein diet and stay in a 20% calorie deficit.
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    It will help you turn your fat into muscle.

Except no. Fat and muscle and two different things and you can't convert one to the other.

But as others have said, lifting in a deficit in important to help retain muscle mass.
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Lift heavy weights, man. That will help you out the most.

You might build a little muscle too.

I'm running Starting Strength on an aggressive cut. Takes dedication.