Tips on strating to run

Options
Hi! I have been working on getting healthy and losing weight for over 2 years now. I am working-out 5-6 days a week. I have been doing intervals on the treadmill of walking at 2.8-3.0 and at 3,8,13, 18,23, 28 mins I will jog/run at the speed of 5.0-5.5 for 30 to 60 secs. I really enjoying running, but I am not sure how to make it where I am able to do it for a longer time/distance. Can anyone give any hints that will help me with achieving this?

Replies

• SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Lots of folks use the couch to 5k program (C25K) with good results.

But...

Different people respond to things differently. What I'm looking to get out of my running is different (or might be anyway) than what you're looking for. When I started running at 285+ pounds I simply ran as far as I could (1/2 mile in 7 minutes) and stopped. Tried for longer next time then longer. Dropped weight, wanted to know if I could get kinda fast (I could), got injured, regained weight now I'm looking to see if I can get kinda fast again.

So, maybe start with C25K and see how that works. If it's not your thing, try another approach.
  • sarbar71
    sarbar71 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I used the C25K program when I started running and it works great! If you have an iPhone or similar device, you can download an app onto your phone that will tell you when to walk and when to run. If not - no problem - there are tons of websites that will give you a general workout regimen. You can do the program by either time or distance. The programs typically last 8 weeks to build up to a 5k, but I know people who have taken more or less time to get there. Just adjust the program to your current skill level and needs. The most important thing is to stick with it - it works! Good luck!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    The c25k program made a runner out of me! I used c25kFREE by Zeb Labs on my phone - worked great.
  • smily_001
    smily_001 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! Do you think this program can be done by someone that is 300+ pounds.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! Do you think this program can be done by someone that is 300+ pounds.

I too used the C25K program. Regarding your weight...that I don't know. Assuming you're otherwise healthy, I say just give it a go and see how your body responds. Also, there's no shame in repeating a "level" if you feel you need to. Good luck!
  • itzCoffeeTime
    Options
    When I first started I couldn't run on the treadmill because I would get really bad shin splits. So I started out on the elliptical which is very low impact. When it became easier for me I upped the resistance. Before I knew it when I eventually hopped back on to the treadmill a couple months later my endurance improved.
  • ostrichagain
    ostrichagain Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    You are doing it right now! C25K uses intervals to increase your endurance. The first week you run for 90 seconds then walk for 5 and you repeat that for 5K or 30 minutes (I have mine set for minutes). Every week it increases the time spend running and decreases the time spent walking. But you can repeat the intervals as many times as you want, you don't have to increase your running time until you feel ready.
  • Adirafox
    Adirafox Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I too used the C25K program. Regarding your weight...that I don't know. Assuming you're otherwise healthy, I say just give it a go and see how your body responds. Also, there's no shame in repeating a "level" if you feel you need to. Good luck!
    [/quote]

I totally agree with this.

When I first started exercising at 18, I was SOOOO out of shape. I had literally never exercised before, other than bike rides to get to friends houses. I did a program similar to C25k (because that didn't exist yet). It was titled "Run for 20 minutes in 8 weeks"....first week: run 1 min, walk 2, repeat 7x (I never worked as hard in my life as I did that week!), repeat 3x, 2nd week: run 2 min, walk 1, repeat 7x, and so on.

Over the years I have rebooted my fitness (after babies and whatnot) with a C25K program hosted by Steve Boyett (I think that is his name). He starts with a 5k, then 8k, then 10, and so on.
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I am not running now , but when I lost weight last time and started running my problem was I was trying to run too fast , once I slowed down some I found I could run longer distances . its like I had to Jog before I could run .
  • GFeltonLB
    GFeltonLB Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    300+ lbs. This may be a simple question but so many people don't do it, even the 125 lb-ers....
    Have you asked your doctor his opinion on running? He may have some other "beginning" steps that may be less impacting if you have joint issues.
    The people on here have some great suggestions and ideas. But not all programs work for everyone. We are all different in so many physical ways. I have an internal defibrillator and I used to run marathons, one having nothing to do with the other. But last year I had a Sudden Cardiac Death event and as much as I wanted to get back out there and run again I had to listen to the doctors and go thru the rehab and all that was necessary. I hated having to wait and go back to just barely walking again, at least that is what it sounds like, but I did have to listen to the doctors and, surprisingly, they knew what they were talking about. Imagine that, huh?
    Speak to your doctor first, get his/her approval or opinion regarding jogging. With his/her approval, being over 300 pounds would not be a problem. Have you seen the size of the people on The Biggest Looser? Weight isn't an issue, it's the joints and bones that would be an issue. Please speak to your doctor first.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I started running at 300 pounds. I did not like C25k however. I can now (at 184 pounds) run for 13.1 miles at a time and have been doing this for approximately three months. When I started running at 300 pounds that was up to 3 miles and I began in June 2012. Message me if you want more info. Or you can check out my blog: myfitnesspal.com/blog/lilbeesmommy

I love running now and am so glad I didn't let my weight stop me! Good luck to you!
  • WhiteGirlWasted13
    WhiteGirlWasted13 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I started running once I'd lost 60 lbs (down from 281). For me, it hasn't been enough. I am on week 3, day 1, of the c25k program and I have decided to rest for at least a week. My legs & knees are absolutely killing me & I have a very high pain tolerance. I am so incredibly mad right now. I don't know why some can run & not have these issues, and they weigh more than me. It just doesn't make sense to me.

I'm signed up for a 5k in September. I will do it. But how, at this point, I don't know. I hope I haven't done significant damage. I don't have insurance, so a dr's visit is a bit out of reach right now.

I guess my advice would be to be very, very careful. Listen to your body. Don't take one step without good shoes. Try to run on a track vs concrete. And stretch till you feel like Stretch Armstrong. Very best of luck to you!
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I started c25k when I began this journey - and I recently started it again to get running post pregnancy - Im starting w3 and loving it
  • Just_Scott
    Just_Scott Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    bump
  • GFeltonLB
    Options
    Also keep in mind running isn't only for fitness. There can be a lot of fun in it.
    To mix it up a bit, try one of the specialty fun runs... Color Runs, zombie runs, splash runs, neon runs, etc. It's not about being fast as much as it is about enjoying yourself while you do it. Just get out there and move your *kitten*! :-) With the color runs you'll run, or walk or jog, thru areas where volunteers will douse you with dry powder like what is used in the Hindu Festival of Colors; zombie runs has you wearing a flag belt and zombies are chasing you thru mud and trail trying to get your flags (keep a flag at the end and you are a "survivor", have no flags and you are "infected"... either way, it's a blast of fun); splash runs involve a lot of water; neon runs are night time and the runners have glow sticks and battery operated flashing lights. They can all be very motivating. Even if you don't run and you prefer to walk thru them, you'll still have a lot of fun. And the after-parties aren't bad either. :-)
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    yummy
  • GFeltonLB
    Options
    Let's not forgot to mention the Mud runs, muck runs, and obstacle courses. Wading thru 3' of mud, climbing over cargo nets, sliding down a muddy hill on your stomach, stepping thru tires and swinging over streams from a rope, and making your way thru a mostly-dark environment avoiding hanging electrically-charged wires (hey, even safe for someone like me with an internal defibrillator), crawling thru mud under a cargo net... When was the last time you allowed yourself to splash and play in water and mud and color like when you were a 5-year old in a rain puddle.
    Running doesn't have to be only for fitness.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I would suggest a good playlist wish some fast upbeat songs. It helps me!
  • FindingKuuks
    FindingKuuks Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You should be okay at your current weight as long as you have your doctor's okay. You seem to be doing great, so I'd imagine you'd be okay. I do the C25K, and I repeat my weekly sessions until l feel I'm ready for the next level. I'm on week 4 now, and on the treadmill, I run until I can't then I do a brisk walk.

You can do it!
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I started running once I'd lost 60 lbs (down from 281). For me, it hasn't been enough. I am on week 3, day 1, of the c25k program and I have decided to rest for at least a week. My legs & knees are absolutely killing me & I have a very high pain tolerance. I am so incredibly mad right now. I don't know why some can run & not have these issues, and they weigh more than me. It just doesn't make sense to me.

I'm signed up for a 5k in September. I will do it. But how, at this point, I don't know. I hope I haven't done significant damage. I don't have insurance, so a dr's visit is a bit out of reach right now.

I guess my advice would be to be very, very careful. Listen to your body. Don't take one step without good shoes. Try to run on a track vs concrete. And stretch till you feel like Stretch Armstrong. Very best of luck to you!

I don't in any way want to insinuate that you aren't doing these things but this is what I would recommend to avoid/treat joint pain from running. Make sure that you have a running store fit you for proper shoes and watch you run. They can give you tips on form, posture and strike. Make sure that you are landing with your feet under your body and not extended beyond your body. Do knee exercises to strengthen the muscles surrounding the knee joint. Do additional leg exercises to strengthen the legs to better support the joints. You can use a foam roller to help relieve muscle tightness which will help prevent additional strain on the joints. Use RICE as treatment afterwards, even if you don't feel pain right away. Rest, ice, compression and elevation. Never treat sore joints with heat. Most importantly TAKE IT SLOW!!!!!!! If you want to run you can and will do it. Be kind to yourself. ❤ Running is amazing!