Are negative pullups the best place to start?

Options
2»

Replies

• Return2Fit
    Return2Fit Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    emmab0902 wrote: »
    Did 20 negative pull-ups today with a 8-10 second lowering. Trying to find the balance between improving and not renewing my rotator cuff injury!
    GREAT!
    The key is to just stay on that bar and let your body begin its adaptation.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Best place? Depends on the person. I couldn't get a very overweight or obese person to do it. Inverted rows either with a suspension system or on the Smith machine seem to be a great place to start with just about anyone. As they progress, then I incorporate eccentric movements to help increase strength to start working toward them doing a full pull up on their own.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I recently started trying to do chin ups/pull ups because I maxed out the lat pulldowns. I screwed up my rotator cuff, so now I'm having to do exercises to rehab that. I'm working on negatives now as well. I was actually able to do 2 chin ups 1 pull up before I injured my rotator cuff.
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned working in inverted rows. This is a great way to add volume to your workout and works your back in a similar way. If you can't do pullups, to me this is a must add.
  • robhod1
    robhod1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I can only speak from experience but at one stage about 6 months ago I couldn't do one pull up but can now do about 3 with good form. I cannot specify what the best exercise was that led to this but I did a mix of bent over rows, inverted rows, dead hangs, chin ups and negatives. However, I do feel it was the negatives that helped the most, though that might be in my mind! Just keep building your strength up and every so often try to do a proper pull up so that you can check your progress.
  • awnurmarc
    awnurmarc Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    If you have enough patience to be diligent at negatives, then that my be best. I never was. I used a barbell to do pendlay rows (barbell rows where you place the barbell on the floor between each rep). That got me strong enough to do a couple.