Keto

2»

Replies

• TravisGM92
    TravisGM92 Posts: 143 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    TravisGM92 wrote: »
    I've been on a keto diet for a while now and have seen some good results. I helped my lady on a keto diet and she's lost more than 30lbs.! Although it is true you can lose weight on really any caloric restrictive diet, many people find they lose weight more on a keto diet. There's a lot of science behind ketones and whatnot.

Also, being on a low carb diet gives your pancreas a break, which is good! In this day and age, diabetes is like a virus! Sure, some people get diabetes as a result of genetics... but low carb diets have been shown to help those even in diabetes.

Since you appear to be a fan of Lyle's: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/ketogenic-low-carbohydrate-diets-have-no-metabolic-advantage-over-nonketogenic-low-carbohydrate-diets-research-review.html

I had yet to read that study. Thanks for citing it! And although the study cited shows no significant difference in fat loss between keto diets and non-keto diets, I'll stick to keto because of the "break" it gives my pancreas. Although this study makes me want to study the long term effects of ketogenics. Perhaps it'd be best to not be in ketosis for long periods of time.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Wrong
    Vegplotter wrote: »
    Carbohydrates are an essential nutrient! Even sugars like sucrose, fructose and lactose have their place in a diet.

• speedfreak75
    speedfreak75 Posts: 81 Member
    i use low carb when i am prepping for a show and there's tons of research now to show that our bodies function better on a carb restricted diet. Now i'm not saying go crazy with reducing carbs but the amount the average person eats is way over what you need.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    I've been on a keto diet for a while now and have seen some good results. I helped my lady on a keto diet and she's lost more than 30lbs.! Although it is true you can lose weight on really any caloric restrictive diet, many people find they lose weight more on a keto diet. There's a lot of science behind ketones and whatnot.

Also, being on a low carb diet gives your pancreas a break, which is good! In this day and age, diabetes is like a virus! Sure, some people get diabetes as a result of genetics... but low carb diets have been shown to help those even in diabetes.

Since you appear to be a fan of Lyle's: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/ketogenic-low-carbohydrate-diets-have-no-metabolic-advantage-over-nonketogenic-low-carbohydrate-diets-research-review.html

I had yet to read that study. Thanks for citing it! And although the study cited shows no significant difference in fat loss between keto diets and non-keto diets, I'll stick to keto because of the "break" it gives my pancreas. Although this study makes me want to study the long term effects of ketogenics. Perhaps it'd be best to not be in ketosis for long periods of time.

How do you know you are giving your pancreas a break? what is sleep for?
  • TravisGM92
    TravisGM92 Posts: 143 Member
    queenliz99 wrote: »

How do you know you are giving your pancreas a break? what is sleep for?

I guess it's something I assume given that people are often advised to go on a low carb diet when they have pancreatitis. And that eating lots of sugar puts stress on the pancreas. I assume that the opposite of these is good.
  • ssmartgirl765
    ssmartgirl765 Posts: 12 Member
    edited August 2016
    I am on a low-carb lifestyle but in a modified way to were i still eat my carbs but monitor my portions I have lost 44 pounds on it I used to weigh 135 lbs and now I weigh 90 lbs and I am 4'7"

of course I workout some too as well but I am limited to what exercises i can do since I was born with Spina Bifida and it paralyzed me from the waist down
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    alliemp68 wrote: »

Not necessarily I'm type 1 diabetic I have to restrict carbs on a daily basis or take insulin to compensate. Three weeks on the keto way of eating and I'm 21 pounds lighter and rarely have to use insulin.
    My skin is better my hair thicker and I have more energy.
    I'm also a coeliac and my son is lactose in tolerant. My normal style of eating is fodmap which basically is clean up prcessed eating.

Obviously INAD, but DO be careful eating keto even as a type 1. Insulin is part of what mitigates ketone production in normal people. Just be careful, almost everything I've ever read pretty much discouraged people with IDDM from doing keto.
    The dangerous part of DKA isn't the ketones, it's the acidosis (both glucose and ketones are acidotic).

I guess it's something I assume given that people are often advised to go on a low carb diet when they have pancreatitis. And that eating lots of sugar puts stress on the pancreas. I assume that the opposite of these is good.

I'm not sure I'd put too much faith into that. Yes, being in Keto switches the "mode" of your metabolism, but you're still producing insulin. That being said though, I'm pretty sure the pancreas isn't as regenerative as the liver. IE if you're to the point of beta cell burnout, I don't think going low carb is going to restore pancreatic function.

BUT I do think it certainly is beneficial for people who aren't there yet. Not being reliant on insulin I think ought to help people with insulin resistance. That's how it should work in theory at least!