How can my weight be going down but my measurements go up?

Options
Today was my weigh day. I lost 1.2lbs!!!

Excellent I'm really happy weight is going in the right direction over 50lbs lost now!! I'm skipping round the bathroom:happy:

I hadn't measured myself in about a month so I thought I'd see how they were doing thinking it would make me feel even better.
But my measurements have gone up!!

I don't get it. I can understand that my chest size might go up as I'm building muscle but what I don't understand is why my belly measurement would have gone up.

I'm excersiing 4-5 times a week. Drinking plenty of water. Eating most if not all of my exercise calories. I'm using the same tape measure and measuring in the same place.

Like I say my weight is going down nicely. I just don't understand how my belly size has gone up!!

I'm sure you great people will know the answer.

Thanks in advance.:smile:

Replies

• Alure
    Alure Posts: 30
    Options
    I don't know what your starting waist measurement was, but I have heard that you can increase your waist measurement by working out a lot because you often increase the size of your obliques and back muscles. This increases the overall circumference of your "waist". You may be tighter and flatter, but building other muscles can technically make that measurement larger. If you don't like it, you can try working out portions of your core less and see if it settles back down into your normal range.
  • tamara_nicole
    Options
    I think you're increasing muscle mass over fat. I wouldn't be too worried. = )
  • MiekeJ
    MiekeJ Posts: 139
    Options
    You could have been slightly bloated? This would have made you a little wider around the belly area. Apart from that and what Alure said, I can't think of anything else. :-)
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    It's possible that your measurements aren't exactly in the same place. Getting them exact is so hard to do, even if you have another person to help you. For example if you always measure in line with your belly button then the front might be the same but if the back of the tape moves up or down by even the tiniest bit it could make a big difference to the measurement you read.