Overtraining?

Options
2»

Replies

• rshouse87
    rshouse87 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I think the injury risks are greater with your size. The stress on your joints and body in general are much much higher than in a healthy weight individual. Your body probably needs more time to recover.

I would also ask why it takes you 1.5 hours to do your weight training? What are you doing in that time and with what sort of weight?

In that time I do both arms and legs. I do three to four sets on each machine. Each set has 12-15 reps. I rest for maybe 2 minutes between each set. There are 7 leg machines and 7 arm machines that I use.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    rshouse87 wrote: »
    It seems like there are multiple paths to take and that I should explore and find what works best for me. I've been mulling over giving myself an extra rest day on the weekends for a month or so now. I might start there. It could very well not stick but I think I should at least try.

Yes
  • rshouse87
    rshouse87 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It seems like there are multiple paths to take and that I should explore and find what works best for me. I've been mulling over giving myself an extra rest day on the weekends for a month or so now. I might start there. It could very well not stick but I think I should at least try.

Yes

Thank you for your help man. And thank you to everyone for taking the time to offer advice! It's been very helpful!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I think the injury risks are greater with your size. The stress on your joints and body in general are much much higher than in a healthy weight individual. Your body probably needs more time to recover.

I would also ask why it takes you 1.5 hours to do your weight training? What are you doing in that time and with what sort of weight?

In that time I do both arms and legs. I do three to four sets on each machine. Each set has 12-15 reps. I rest for maybe 2 minutes between each set. There are 7 leg machines and 7 arm machines that I use.

My advice would be to get a proper programme with free weights and get off the machines. It will be more efficient with better results. Something like Strong Lifts, others are available.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,991 Member
    Options
    How can I tell if I'm overtraining?

Pretty simple really. You will (among other things) feel tired, lack energy and perform with less strength and ability than you normally can. The solution is also simple: rest and do less.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    My opinion, anything over an hour of weight training is pointless. Unless you are a high level athlete. A good weight session should take no more than 45-50 minutes. Think quality over quantity. Are you following a structured program?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I don't think 20,000 steps is excessive, that's my goal 7 days a week. But i don't also go to the gym on top of that..

Sorry if i missed it. But how many calories are you eating a day, how much are you losing per week.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Vegplotter wrote: »
    You are doing too much. What about a social life?
    10,000 steps a day is plenty. Perhaps a longer walk on a Saturday or a Sunday, especially if you walk and talk with a friend.
    If you enjoy the gym, by all means go. But consider sports, dancing, yoga instead. I am truly worried about your social life!
    Also what about cleaning your room/house/flat?
    If you feel you've got loads of pent up energy why not give something back to society? Consider volunteering. Pushing a wheelchair, gardening for the elderly or helping disabled kids find fun in sports activities might just be good for your soul as well as your body.

10k steps a day is a fairly minimal amount. What if the poster doesn't like sports, dancing or yoga?

I would think the weight training could be a bit more efficient. The cardio is 2/3 walking.

Imo could back off a bit but if the op is enjoying it and not being obsessive/ignoring other thInga in theit life no harm. A lot better way to spend time rhan in front of a screen.
  • GerardCornielje
    GerardCornielje Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for replying with advice. My primary goal is weight loss and I've lost 85 pounds since I was at my heaviest. I'm down to 263 now and I suppose I'm being a little too obsessive at this point. First I'm going to try just taking Saturday and Sunday off of working out just to recover. I don't know if I'll ever be able to cut my time down at the gym when I go but I'll try. I think I may be getting addicted to working out. 20,000 steps a day is potentially excessive. I don't know for sure.

I'm sorry, but I'm going to disagree with everyone and say keep doing what you're doing. It's working and while you may change over time I'd hate to discourage you to stop being successful. I did what you're doing for about 3-4 years and loved every minute of it. I even did some pretty extreme mountain races. I eventually settled into a 4-5 day a week lifting program with some light running, but I absolutely don't regret the 50+ mile weekends from a few years ago. You have to find your own path and doing too much, doing too little, changing your mind, etc. is all part of it.

I fully agree, that's the spirit!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for replying with advice. My primary goal is weight loss and I've lost 85 pounds since I was at my heaviest. I'm down to 263 now and I suppose I'm being a little too obsessive at this point. First I'm going to try just taking Saturday and Sunday off of working out just to recover. I don't know if I'll ever be able to cut my time down at the gym when I go but I'll try. I think I may be getting addicted to working out. 20,000 steps a day is potentially excessive. I don't know for sure.

I'm sorry, but I'm going to disagree with everyone and say keep doing what you're doing. It's working and while you may change over time I'd hate to discourage you to stop being successful. I did what you're doing for about 3-4 years and loved every minute of it. I even did some pretty extreme mountain races. I eventually settled into a 4-5 day a week lifting program with some light running, but I absolutely don't regret the 50+ mile weekends from a few years ago. You have to find your own path and doing too much, doing too little, changing your mind, etc. is all part of it.

I fully agree, that's the spirit!

I'm with these two. Get at it while your enthusiasm is still this high. I just finally started weight training again after three years of sitting on my *kitten*, and am taking my first rest day in two weeks today. Your body will let you know if you need to back it off.
  • mengqiz86
    mengqiz86 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    If you have the time, and you are not injured, why not. Overtraining is a pretty specific term applicable to athletes.. A state when they over-exert mentally or physically (for runners, it's occasionally manifested in elevated resting heart rate). I don't think that's applicable in your case.. I do think you can do less and still achieve weight loss - particularly when all that time is eating into other aspects of your life such as family and work.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Are you enjoying what you are doing?
    Do you feel good generally speaking?
    Are you able to make progress in your training?
    Are you moving closer to your goals?

If you were overtraining then one or more of the above answers would be "No".
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    My week typically includes two Jui Jitsu sessions, two fencing sessions (all about 90 mins long), two 45 min knee rehab sessions (advanced stage so quite intense with various weights etc), 2-3 yoga or pilates classes (45-60 min each), a walk with a friend (30-60 min depending on our schedule) and random additions of running, swimming or gym classes that I feel like I'm the week. I probably average about 12 hours of training per week and I am at a quiet period due to knee rehab (torn acl) and concussion recovery. My job is also pretty active as I work with animals. I enjoy what I do and the benefits to my life I get from the training. I am single with no children so I have the time available. Sure, I feel tired and sore after some of the more intense sessions, but that is from working hard not over training. If you are enjoying it and you have the time available, keep going!