Questions about obstacle races

Options
Hi

I completed my first 5K ocr today. I'm currently FREEZING cold and waiting for that to pass, with a HUGE cuppa!

I was just wondering, for my next one, what's the best type of training to do for things like climbing ropes and monkey bars (the hoops on ropes) - is it just upper body strength or is there something else?

Also any wisdom on why I got stitch when I don't normally?

Thanks!

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I would go to a playground and try to simulate the obstacles in the race (which may be listed on their website). :+1:
  • julesloveland
    julesloveland Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    I would go to a playground and try to simulate the obstacles in the race (which may be listed on their website). :+1:

Yep, agreed. And stitches are often caused by your breathing getting too shallow. The changes in activity may have distracted you from keeping your breathing regular and even.

Yes I think you're right, my breathing was all over the place. I missed my music and usual pace. Def something to work on for next time.
  • AverageJoeFit
    AverageJoeFit Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I have done 1 OCR in the past and this is what I did. I felt great the whole time as well. I noticed a lot of people walking during the race so there is no shame to that either.

3 days a week I run 1 mile do pushups, bur pees, body weight squats, pull ups, crunches and then go run another mile. Just start with 2 rotations then start adding rotations to add endurance

2 days a week I do strength training of any sort. Mainly upper body for me but some strength.

As far as I can tell for OCR's you don't have to run much farther then 1 maybe 2 miles between obstetrical. So don't need to run much more then that.

Just my workout schedule.
  • julesloveland
    Options
    Thank you.
  • julesloveland
    Options
    I read this today, what do people here think?

http://dailyburn.com/life/fitness/obstacle-course-race-training-tips/
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Monkey bars, ropes and rings are technique.

Get to a gym or playground that has them to practice on, or start racing enough to get a good feel for them. As you get into more advanced rigs with crazy grip strength obstacles on them, you will need to start building up grip strength along with technique to get through them.

For rope climbing look up on YouTube "J hook" and "S hook" it is very much technique and NOT upper body strength.

I'm not sure what you mean by stitches.....cramps or side stitches? Cramps are from being under prepared for the physical activity. Start a progressive training program for cardio and strength. I personally only get side stitches if I run too soon after eating or drinking a lot. I haven't looked up causes to them since I know how to avoid the ones I get.

Sounds like you got bit by the OCR bug and will continue preparing yourself for future races, so you will see progress :) Good Luck!
  • julesloveland
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    Monkey bars, ropes and rings are technique.

Get to a gym or playground that has them to practice on, or start racing enough to get a good feel for them. As you get into more advanced rigs with crazy grip strength obstacles on them, you will need to start building up grip strength along with technique to get through them.

For rope climbing look up on YouTube "J hook" and "S hook" it is very much technique and NOT upper body strength.

I'm not sure what you mean by stitches.....cramps or side stitches? Cramps are from being under prepared for the physical activity. Start a progressive training program for cardio and strength. I personally only get side stitches if I run too soon after eating or drinking a lot. I haven't looked up causes to them since I know how to avoid the ones I get.

Sounds like you got bit by the OCR bug and will continue preparing yourself for future races, so you will see progress :) Good Luck!

Thank you! I have been watching rope techniques on youtube - now I need to find somewhere to practice!!

Yes it was side stitch, a friend suggested it might have been my breathing technique as it can cause it. It wasn't happening in my training, so I can only chalk that up to experience and see what happens at the next one!