Shoulder Development

Options
gothchiq
gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
Here I am again with more questions! lol. So I am having difficulty with developing my shoulders. Everything else is coming along nicely, but my shoulders are still embarrassingly weak. I must be missing something that I should be doing. I would love to get some advice here. Thanks all!

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    What is your routine?
  • gothchiq
    Options
    I lift using machines, i do pushups, and i work out on the elliptical. Due to wrist and elbow problems i am not currently using free weights.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    That's why. Use free weights for your shoulder development. Standing overhead press is a great developer for strength and mass.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    That's why. Use free weights for your shoulder development. Standing overhead press is a great developer for strength and mass.

With wrist and elbow issues? Err I wouldn't
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    What exercises do you do for shoulders? How are you determining their lack of development? Strength? Size? The shoulders are relatively small muscles compared to something like the chest/back/legs, so progression is proportionately slower. At least for me, my overhead press is probably my weakest/slowest progressing lift.

I don't have experience with machines, but I also don't see why using the shoulder press machine wouldn't give you results. I do a mix of overhead press, lateral raises, and incline presses.

• sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I love overhead press and have used it with success, but low weight/high rep work will defiinitely build your shoulders if you're not able to perform that exercise. Try lateral and front raises as well as reverse flys. You can use light dumbbells, or if your limitations insist, the machines.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    I lift using machines, i do pushups, and i work out on the elliptical. Due to wrist and elbow problems i am not currently using free weights.

Free weights shouldn't really be harder on your wrists or elbows with proper form. I'd get an actual program for overall balance rather than yoloing what seems right.

That being said there should be a shoulder press machine if you're dead set on using a machine. Do a 5x5 or something with it and increase the weight each session.
  • mymeggie
    mymeggie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Try checking out a local rock climbing gym. I have been climbing for a few years now. It's a great total body workout. I started with zero upper body strength. Just a few months of consistently climbing, and I was quickly gaining upper body strength. Today I can do 17 pull-ups! It's really a fun way to work out. Best of luck!
  • troytroy11
    troytroy11 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    There are two things you can try.
    If you are doing push-ups, try putting more of your body weight on your shoulders by moving your feet closer to your hands, push your hips straight up and keep your back and legs as straight as possible. It would look like downward dog position. Do some of your push-up sets like that. The position that your hands are pointing will of course depend on your wrists, and the pain you are experiencing. If it hurts or does not feel right, you know your limits so be careful.
    There are also wrist weights you can use. There will be no pressure on your hands using these. Do side and front flies. Eventually the wrist weights will be too light after you get used to it so you will then need to figure out how to start putting more weight on there under the velcro.
  • icemaiden37
    icemaiden37 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I have wrist issues and have to modify my grip with some shoulder exercises and use wrist wraps but I've been able to get some decent shoulder definition. As previously mentioned, overhead press is a good one for developing shoulders but it's going to involve your elbows, you'll know what your own personal limitations are and whether you can do this or not. It might be safer to do with dumbbells rather than a bar, but that will depend on what your wrist and elbow issues are. If that's out of the question, some shoulder isolation exercises might be better for you. Lateral raises, front raises and bent over lateral raises don't involve any movement in your elbows or wrists and if you fail at them you're not going to end up with anything heavy landing on your head! Upright rows with a barbell or dumbbells may be possible too but that will involve movement in your elbows. It'll take longer for your shoulders to develop with isolations but you should see *some* progress.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Try boxing. Throwing punches can really work your shoulders.
  • gothchiq
    Options
    I like the wrist weights idea! That may be the way to go, at least for now. The way I determine that I feel my shoulders are too weak/small is twofold: my delts look flat, and the amount I can lift with them is pathetically low. While I can increase how much weight I lift with everything else at a good pace, it's agonizingly slow with the shoulders. :( I could definitely use wrist weights to do the moves suggested by icemaiden, or wear hard wrist braces to do them with dumbbells. Maybe that would hurt less than the overhead press machine does.

I'm gonna have to pass on the boxing. I'm very arthritic. This would leave me completely fubar. I used to take karate and the orthopedist told me in no uncertain terms (several years ago) that I had to stop that unless I didn't fancy being able to walk in a few years.

• dreamsignals
    dreamsignals Posts: 39 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I'm currently doing shoulder rehab with a PT and something we always do is kettlebell press lunges. Start with very low weight, 2lbs, one arm at a time.

A quick search gave me this video https://youtu.be/b6RJwBufy14.

The lunging part is important because the movement adds instability, which you then have to compensate for by tightening core, shoulders and wrist.

If the lunging makes it too hard, you can start with just walking around while holding the kettlebell up, until you're strong enough.

Some pointers: don't let the kettlebell roll your wrist back. Focus on keeping your wrist straight through the whole movement. That's why you should start with very low weight, even if your shoulders can take more. For added wrist stability training, over time, hold the kettlebell upside down, with the ball part painting straight up. Again, this is more advanced, so work your way there.

Hope this helps.

• dreamsignals
    dreamsignals Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'd stay away from press work if you have wrist and elbow problems. Front and side laterals, with light dumbells, or cables would help a lot.

I would agree with the general statement, but doing presses with light weight, even 1lbs and 2lbs, can bring great change in strength and stability. I've worked my way from 2lbs to 25lbs for the lunges, without negative repercussions. Form is key though, straight wrist, slow eccentric (lowering), and just enough weight that doesn't compromise form.

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    would some form of modified chinup/pullup be possible? idk if pulling movements are as problematic as pushing, for you.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Laterals (if you use the "broken wrist" technique) shouldn't affect your wrists or elbows much at all. Front, side and bent over laterals for the win.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • icemaiden37
    icemaiden37 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    How are you getting on OP? It's been a while...just wondering if you have seen any progress.

I have found shoulders are *really* tough to build, even before you take any limitations into account. Ninerbuff's suggested isolations are a really good call for your particular physiology as they don't involve moving the elbow or wrist joint at all, but if keeping everything stable is an issue, there's no shame in using supports. With my wrist wraps I can out lift all but 3 female members at my gym...and they all work in the fitness industry! Keep pushing it!!
  • gothchiq
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I've been wrapping my wrists and trying the suggestions here. I have 5 and 8 lb dumbbells to use at home in addition to work I do at the gym. Progress is slow but I continue to work at it. It'll make a difference over time I am sure. Thanks to all for responding.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    You might want to try planking. You can start wherever you can, and slowly work up. Since you rest on your forearms it strengthens your shoulders. I have naturally broad shoulders--DNA + horseback riding when I was a teen. Holding in a horse that wants to run is a real shoulder strengthener. There are some gym machines that mimic that. A rowing machine might do it. I also have serious wrist problems. I wrap them when they hurt, and use light hand weights, trying to go heavier as things get easier. Good luck.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Lateral raises and face pulls.