Dry vs cooked ingredients - help.

Options
I've entered a recipe into My Fitness Pal and the calorie count is too low.

I added 250g of dry lentils to the pot - thus I entered 250g red lentils to the recipe on My Fitness Pal (showing as being a mere 290 calories) so does the 250g red lentils in My Fitness Pal database mean 250g COOKED lentils?

I wasn't able to weight the lentils once cooked and mixed in, so how do I correct this?
This was meal prep so five days worth of meals I need to ensure add-up.

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    When I made a soup with lentils recently, I used dry lentils in the recipe tool and told the recipe tool that this soup would make 6 servings. What's a serving? Fill a bowl. That's close enough.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh my finished recipe and use the weight as the servings. So if my soup weighed 1500 grams, I would enter 1500 servings. So when I dish up portions I weigh each portion and record the weight as my serving size, so my bowl of soup might be 350g, so I would have 350 servings.

I do it this way since I don't always have the same portion sizes at meals. For dinner I might have a 500g bowl of soup, but at lunch it might be only 200g since I might have a salad with it.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Yes, it looks like you used an entry for cooked lentils.
    I wasn't able to weight the lentils once cooked and mixed in, so how do I correct this?]

Since what you know is the weight of the uncooked lentils, you'll need to edit the recipe and replace that entry with one for uncooked lentils. Try searching using the description from the USDA nutrient database ("lentils, pink or red, raw"). Raw lentils are around 350 calories per 100 gram, so the 250 g you used are around 875 calories, not 290 calories.