Need to workout

Options
How do you get yourself up to workout? I know I need to do it. I used to be very active. My butt is stuck in the couch, it has molded around it and I can't get out of it! Really how do you get that mindset to workout everyday or every other day? HELP! PLEASE!

Replies

• ohsosweet26
    ohsosweet26 Posts: 45 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Jogging has become a routine for me but I was the same as you. When i was just starting, I'd tell myself that I'm only gonna go out for a jog/walk/bike for 10 minutes. Once my butt is out the door, those 10 minutes would go by really fast, then I'd find myself saying to go for 10 more minutes. Once those 10 minutes are done, I head back home. There were also days where I just don't really feel like going out, so I bought dumbbells so I can start weight training. It was hard, but it gets easier as you progress!
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I did it often enough that it became a habit: Get up -> go to the gym and sweat for an hour -> shower and dress for work.

If there is an emergency and I need to skip the gym, I just feel all pissy the rest of the day...

Habits are hard to change - doesn't matter whether its going to the gym or not going to the gym.
  • HeidiFuture
    HeidiFuture Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    At home or at a gym?

Can you walk around the neighborhood? Walk to the end of the block and back tomorrow. Each day, add some distance. Work your way up to 10 mins then 15 mins then 20 and 30 mins. That's a good start. Over time you will get faster. You just have to put on walking shoes and go.
  • mary25osman
    mary25osman Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I had to force myself lol, while I'm on my way out to jog I wanna just turn around cuz I'm thinking about the comfy couch lol
    But once I'm like a minute in to jogging, I'm enjoying it!
    Also music... If I didn't have my headphones in and listening to music, I don't think I would be jogging. Makes it go by so much faster and clears my mind!
    Once you get up its easier. :)
  • icemaiden37
    icemaiden37 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I did it by making it a habit. I go straight from work, so when I leave my office, my car turns left to the gym instead of turning right to go home. It's just what I do now and I do it without thinking. If I went home and sat down I'd talk myself out of going and never get my sorry *kitten* out the door again!
  • BeckyD1105
    BeckyD1105 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I wasn't consistent with exercise until I truly found something that I loved to do. For me that turned out to be group classes. I've been doing them for about 4 months now and have tried many different classes until I found the ones I really liked. Now I don't even think about whether to go or not..it's routine.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Really - it's a mindset - move more, sit less. It doesn't matter what exercise you're doing as long as you're moving more sitting less. Get a fitness tracker. Start trying to increase your steps. I remember when I first got a Fitbit, I was lucky to get in 500 steps a day. I've worked up to about 2000-ish. They say to lose weight to get in 10,000 a day. I think I'd pass out - but I'm happy if my steps increase.

Set some goals to walk so far each day or to get a certain number of steps in. During commercials take a few laps around the house.
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    This information on the habit cycle might be helpful to you: http://www.npr.org/2012/03/05/147192599/habits-how-they-form-and-how-to-break-them

Best wishes with all your health and fitness goals!
    -S
  • mel35645
    mel35645 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    i haven't worked out for a while myself but for me doing it first thing in the morning worked for me so I didn't have all day to talk myself out of it. If you are just getting started I would suggest taking small steps commit to 15-20 minutes a day, try walking in place during commercials or between commercials while watching tv. Once you get started you will want to exercise more. Let me know how I can help support you in your journey.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    You have to change your current behavior by instituting a new one with small changes. Sometimes abruptness works, but if it seems too difficult, then it's easier to quit.
    Start by doing something 15-30 minutes max. Walking is a good start.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png