Serious breathing problems....diet & exercise & motivation?

I am a senior lady that is still 30 to 35 pounds over sized. I have lost 50 pounds over the past 18 months but, it is so hard when you can't exercise much or walk far.
I started a yoga class for seniors.
I must loose weight so I can breath better. I can feel the air getting less and less in my body so if anyone has an idea please let me know.

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Congratulations on your 50 pounds loss!

Just keep at it, what you are doing is clearly working. Can your Dr recommend any exercises?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    See a doctor
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Hi @LSueA, I am in my 60's too and unless you have a undiagnosed medical condition you should be able to walk and exercise.
    At our age a thorough check up is a good idea before you start exercising, especially if you are having problems breathing. If you have any mobility problems get a referral to a physiotherapist if you can.

You may have to start slow if you have been quite sedentary for a few years, but your breathing should improve, if it is just a normal exertion shortness of breath.

Some ideas of exercise ...

Walking- around the house, around the block- baby steps, do what you can.

Water walking- takes the weight off your joints, but the resistance of the water will help build strength and endurance.

Aqua fit- really helps with mobility and balance.

Swimming- if you can- it is a good all round exercise.

Yoga- there are lots of different practices. Find a gentle one that focuses on breathing. I like Iyengar.

Seated exercises- there are plenty of videos on you tube.

After clearance from your doctor, start slow and gently build a routine that is sustainable.

Wonderful that you have lost 50lbs <3

Cheers, h.
  • flrancho
    flrancho Posts: 271 Member
    Please, if you don't already know why you have a hard time breathing, see a doctor. I watched my Mom suffer for years from undiagnosed pulmonary hypertention. By the time they found out what it was she was already pretty advanced and died within 6 months of diagnosis (from pneumonia, though the pre-exisiting hypertention was a contributing factor).

If you know you have a specific medical problem, consult your doctor as to the safest and best forms of exercises for you. If you're positive there's nothing wrong medically, just start out slow, do what you can, and build up.
  • Return2Fit
    Return2Fit Posts: 226 Member
    LSueA wrote: »
    I am a senior lady that is still 30 to 35 pounds over sized. I have lost 50 pounds over the past 18 months but, it is so hard when you can't exercise much or walk far.
    I started a yoga class for seniors.
    I must loose weight so I can breath better. I can feel the air getting less and less in my body so if anyone has an idea please let me know.

It sounds like you're doing what you're able to do. Keep at it.
    And folks are right about keeping your doctor up to speed about any issues.

• darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Also try tai chi. It will strengthen your legs and improve your balance as well as burn a few cals.