What is the best way to ....

Options
What is the best way to heal a strained muscle? I started to foam roll today after my workout. Any other suggestions? Thank you in advance!!

Replies

• Carolina_trail_rider
    Options
    It's just going to take time. You'll need to rest the muscle while it heals.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Rest
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    If it's mild.. warmth and frequent light stretching/movement, but avoid anything that hurts.
    If there's swelling, bruising or severe pain, see a doctor.. :+1:

What did you do?
  • RoneilSembrano
    RoneilSembrano Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    rcadden21 wrote: »
    Agreed! I would also like to add introducing a BCAA to your diet. Just to help speed up the healing process. And make sure that you are taking in enough protein. Foam rollers work wonders!
  • TravisGM92
    TravisGM92 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'd say some good rest and stretches.

I used to believe in foam rollers but haven't found any good science that supports their use. But if they help you, keep doing it!
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    rcadden21 wrote: »
    Agreed! I would also like to add introducing a BCAA to your diet. Just to help speed up the healing process. And make sure that you are taking in enough protein. Foam rollers work wonders!

wut
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

R.I.C.E. combined with modified activity, a topical NSAID, and SMR is the way to go:
    • REST
    • ICE
    • COMPRESSION
    • ELEVATION
    • +Topical NSAID

After R.I.C.E.:
    Modified activity to ensure re-injury does not occur, increasing flexibility and releasing trigger points through SMR.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    If it were me I'd get it looked at by a professional to determine the severity of the injury.

The ONLY thing I would suggest doing beyond this is to avoid things that cause pain to the area. So if stretching or foam rolling causes direct pain to the area I would absolutely avoid that for now.