Sore knees

Options
I went hiking this weekend. Friday, I went about 12 miles through very rocky and rugged terrain with lots of elevation changes. The tendons on the outside of my knees got very sore, especially on downhill sections. Is there anything I can do to make these "stronger"? I plan to do a lot more hiking and I don't want the pain to limit me. Thanks

Replies

• dianemcleod60
    dianemcleod60 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Tight Quads can cause knee pain. I use a foam rollet on the quads which really relieves the ache knees.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    trekking poles can reduce knee strain.
  • rlpomeroy
    rlpomeroy Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I was using trekking poles and they helped quite a bit. I can see tight quads being a problem too, that might be some of it. I'm sure I need to get out there and use those muscles more.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    12 miles is a lot to go if you aren't in condition. Hike more to get in better hiking shape, but start out slow just a couple miles at a time and build up slowly. It takes time for your muscles and tendons and joints to toughen up and get used to it if its something you don't normally do.. If you like working out you can add a simple full body workout or some yoga to help, but its not necessary if you just wanna hike. More hiking will make you in better shape for more hiking.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    In addition to poles, rolling, and stretching consider how you are descending. I am still learning to do it but apparently if we squat more as we come down it puts more if the burden on our quads and helps the knees. My hubby insists on letting gravity do the work and just barrels down slopes, but I am not in shape for that and can't catch myself if I careen out of control so it's either slow steps or butt scooching for me.
  • rlpomeroy
    rlpomeroy Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I thought I was in decent shape...lol. I do an hour at a time 3-4 days a week either on a treadmill or eliptical and don't have issues there. I realize that the stress is different. I guess I'm asking if there is something that I should be doing instead of the traditional cardio or in addition to it?
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    A StairMaster (or real stairs) would be the closest sim at the gym to hiking in the hills or mts w/changes in elevation.

Real stairs probably would be better in terms of walking up and down. Kinda hard to walk down a StairMaster but, if memory serves, I think it can be done. Just been a long time since I actually used one.

• lizzieloo934
    lizzieloo934 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I always have to ice my knees after runs from knee pain. It helps. I have also been told that if I do weight training on my legs it will build the muscle around the knee and reduce the knee pain...but I haven't implemented that advice yet.