Feeling low

Options
So I weighed myself this morning to get a big shock & a sinking feeling in my stomach, I've supposedly gained 2lb since I weighed myself yesterday morning, I'd put on 2-3lb recently which was needed to get my bmi up a bit to a healthier level which was hard enough as I'm always so terrified of putting any on but I'd just about come to terms with being a little heavier & looking a little bit rounder but having got on the scales today I'm in panic mode, surely I haven't now put on nearly 5lb altogether?! I have been eating a bit more but also working out 30-60 mins a day and tracking it with my heart rate monitor & MFP exercise tracker so didn't think I was going to the extreme with calories, feel like I've now let myself down because I feel huge & feel I won't be able to now enjoy my week off of work because I'll be constantly worried about what I'm eating, also worrying the workouts I've been doing have just been pointless & maybe I've not really been burning as much as I thought....urgh, sorry for the moan.

Replies

• rickc74
    rickc74 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    A two pound gain in one day is a lot. Two pounds is 7,000 calories. You probably didn't overeat by that much. I'd look at things like did you weigh yourself at the same time each day? Were you wearing the same clothes each time, or no clothes? Did you go to the bathroom first? These things all have an impact for sure. Also, did you eat a lot of sodium? That can make you retain water, which will go away in a couple days. Beyond all that - sometimes the body is just weird, and weight fluctuates. If you are tracking food and exercise accurately, and are burning more calories than you take in, you'll lose weight.
  • x_Vicky_x_86
    x_Vicky_x_86 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    No I definitely didn't over eat by that much. I always weigh myself first thing in the morning after using the bathroom & in my pj's, so there wasn't much difference there to yesterday, I'm wondering if it has anything to do with having had more to drink (coffee/tea etc) last night, despite using the bathroom before weighing myself it maybe still made a difference? I tried the scales in a couple of different spots as was worried it was uneven floor affecting them, other than that though I did read this morning that with woman, hormones can make the body retain extra water weight sometimes. Anyway I have adjusted my weight/goals on here so my calories are less today, sticking too it big time until I'm back to normal. Thank you for replying, trying not to worry about it too much but hard not to feel like you're letting yourself down some how when you don't see the results you hope for.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Relax. Especially as a woman and with our lovely hormones, weight fluctuations are common. You may have some inflammation with your workout if it's somewhat new (you'll be retaining water in your muscles), or it could be due to an increase in your sodium or carb intake from the day before. Could be a lot of things. But there's no way that you gained 2 pounds of fat overnight.

If you must weigh every day, I'd use something like Trendweight so you can see the overall trend of your weight. I used it for a while just to get an idea of how my weight is all over the place on a daily basis but the overall trend is DOWN which is what I want.

Either way, just relax. Keep doing what you're doing and trust in the process.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    Relax. Especially as a woman and with our lovely hormones, weight fluctuations are common. You may have some inflammation with your workout if it's somewhat new (you'll be retaining water in your muscles), or it could be due to an increase in your sodium or carb intake from the day before. Could be a lot of things. But there's no way that you gained 2 pounds of fat overnight.

If you must weigh every day, I'd use something like Trendweight so you can see the overall trend of your weight. I used it for a while just to get an idea of how my weight is all over the place on a daily basis but the overall trend is DOWN which is what I want.

This is everything you need right here, OP.
  • x_Vicky_x_86
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »

Thank you for your lovely & really helpful reply, I only workout on my exercise bike which I've been doing for 5-6 days a week at half hour sessions, only thing different I've done over the past two days is I've done two workouts on it per day rather than the one, because I knew I'd been eating a little more, but according to what MFP & my Fitbit HR say, I was only a few out of my calorie limit.
    We did have a large amount of carb the evening before & ate at a later time than normal so you could be right about that, I didn't realise that kind of thing would affect it so much.
    I know I should probably not weigh every day, it's a bit of a bad habit I keep getting into, I've not heard of trendweight before though, just looked it up quickly, do I have to use one of the special scales they mention for it or can I use my normal scale? I've recently bought a new digital scale as I was adamant my previous one wasn't accurate, but having been on both today they aren't far out from each other!
    I will try to relax a bit about it, I'm just not used to being a little heavier, after getting to my lightest of just under 8 stone down from 9 1/2, and being so strict about maintaining it after all the hard work it's hard to be told I needed to go up a little, just worried now I have gone up a bit it will keep going up as I've been having more calories than before, it's finding a new balance I think for myself too, been doing the exercise bike regularly for about 3 weeks now but with my calories being different I'm trying to find that middle ground on how much I need to do. Hopefully my body will even out again. Thanks again for the reply.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Shark week makes me gain 3-5 pounds overnight. Might be something else to think about.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I use my regular scale for Trendweight, and I don't always weigh every day. Like if I've had a high sodium or carb meal the day before, or it's it TOM, I might skip weighing for a few days, because I know the number will be way off. Mine was off this morning because although I ate within my calories yesterday, I went way over in carbs and salt, so naturally it was up. But I know from experience it will be back down by Wednesday or so.

The more you do this the more you get used to the little flakey events that occur and you come to expect them.
  • jayv85
    jayv85 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Don't weigh every day. You fluctuate naturally about 2-3lbs every day. Heck, I'm about to get my period, plus I ate a lot of salty foods yesterday and "gained" 5lbs. Don't get discouraged by it.
  • x_Vicky_x_86
    Options
    Thank you everyone, it probably has something to do with the time of the month, still being careful with calories though until I get a nicer looking reading on the scales! Also not eating back my exercise calories at all today, I'm doing well sitting here with my little bowl of salad and rice cake as my evening snack!
    I did get out of weighing myself every day when my weight never changed a whole lot, I knew I was in a safe zone, found my balance but things changed when I had to gain a tad, it threw me off, will try to spread the days apart when I weigh though, I know I will weigh tomorrow though at least to see if today was just a blip.
    Thanks for all the replies, it really does reassure me, I got back into bed after weighing this morning and just felt blah! Feeling a bit more positive now though :smile: