Pizza!

Options
What's a good calorie estimate for a slice of regular corner pizza shop pizza?

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Need a lot more information... Thick crust or thin? What are the toppings?

I would probably just go with an equivalent version from a major chain like Domino's or Pizza Hut, unless you think that the slice you are eating is vastly larger.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Regular cheese, NY style pizza is like, 280 cals a slice. So if you add pepporoni, more cheese, etc, it can becomes pretty high calorie.
  • CindyFooWho
    CindyFooWho Posts: 179 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Need a lot more information... Thick crust or thin? What are the toppings?

I would probably just go with an equivalent version from a major chain like Domino's or Pizza Hut, unless you think that the slice you are eating is vastly larger.

Yeah, true. I have this image in my mind of pizza-place pizza and I forget that it may not be the same as what others perceive.

I'm thinking thin crust (which is why I nixed Pizza Hut estimates). Probably close to Dominos. I'll just use that.
  • BananaBite
    BananaBite Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing after a few slices from a local pizzeria. It really depends, but I feel it is not as high as Pizza Hut, Dominos, or Papa John's. A local pizzeria is not a processed, even if you add toppings it will still not be a calorie dense.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing after a few slices from a local pizzeria. It really depends, but I feel it is not as high as Pizza Hut, Dominos, or Papa John's. A local pizzeria is not a processed, even if you add toppings it will still not be a calorie dense.

How is local pizzeria pizza not processed? They pick the crust off the pizza crust bush fresh that day?

OP, I live in NY, and I usually estimate 300 cals for one slice of cheese pizza, I found a generic entry in the database which I would normally never use but it puts all the numbers approx where I would. If I get extra cheese or meat toppings I add 100 more cals to be safe. I find the chain store pizza slices are a bit smaller than "real" pizza, although I've been told that Domino's "Brooklyn style" is closest to pizzeria pizza, so you could probably go with that as well. Some day I will live the kind of life where I make my own pizza on a stone in the oven, but until then, this is how i do it. Bon appetit!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

In what way do you think pizza from a place like Pizza Hut or Dominos is processed that a local pizzeria offering is not? And what does that have to do with the calorie density of the pizzas?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    A local pizzeria is not a processed, even if you add toppings it will still not be a calorie dense.

(1) How on earth is pizza from a local pizzeria not processed? Flour is processed, olives and olive oil are processed, processed meat (commonly used by local pizzerias too) is, well, processed, olives are processed, anything made in a restaurant is processed by those making it. Again, do people have some secret definition of the word "processed" that is being employed?

(2) Even homemade pizza can be calorie dense. It mostly has to do with (a) how much oil is used; (b) how much cheese you add; (c) thickness of the crust; (d) type of toppings; and (e) how much you eat.

I usually eat pizza from a local Italian place, and it's calorific if I eat as much as I like. (On the other hand, even though I am not a fan of Domino's, their thin crust seems not to be particularly high cal -- would likely be an okay measure for many local joints. My favorite local place is Chicago style, but I rarely go there, and I'm sure it's much higher cal than Domino's thin crust.)
  • bemyyfriend0918
    bemyyfriend0918 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I always log pizza that is plain without extra cheese or toppings at about 320 calories for a larger size slice (think a normal crust that's about 5 inches in diameter). I'm talking about NY style pizza, like a from a pizza place. I think dominoes/pizza hut run about 280 a plain slice
  • DamnRod
    DamnRod Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Save it for your cheat day and don't worry about the calories!