Offering Too Big Clothes to Family/Friends

Options
2»

Replies

• jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    You could give them to a local women's shelter. They would be especially interested in nice professional clothing.
  • indiacaitlin
    indiacaitlin Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone would take offence to it! I love a good clothing freebie :smile: I wouldn't overthink it too much, the worst she can do is just say no thanks.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    I had fun. When I first started losing I donated a box of clothes to my mom and older sister. They were pleased and could just ft into them.

Some nice hardly worn outfits went to another friend-who is tall. Perfect fit I did ask this friend first.

Last box just went to a friend who is here from England for 6 months. 'Take the box and any you don't want, just take to thrift store'. She was pleased.

I always welcome hand me downs-we got lots as children.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    My sister and i trade clothing this way. I pretty much only offer her the nicest stuff though.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the person. Some people will be glad, others will be sensitive in that area. I'd ask someone closer to her who might know better.
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I gave some of my old work trousers that were hardly worn and a size or two too big to my mum recently, she's losing weight too but is a good 2 sizes bigger than me now. She'd said she needed new work trousers as she is shrinking out of hers so I let her have first pick before taking them to the charity shop. She was happy saving money on new clothes and I didn't feel like I'd wasted my money.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    Lots of good suggestions above.

I don't have any bigger friends/family members locally so just list things on freecycle.org. That's more satisfying to me than just giving it to Goodwill.

I recently got a Malala bag https://www.schoola.com/fundraiser-for-malala and next time I clean out my closet and going to get rid of some clothes that way.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I've recently gathered up my clothes that were too big, and asked my sister in law "hey anything you would like to take a look at before I give away?" She was happy to incorporate stuff into her wardrobe. I think most people would be happy with "new to them " items. Don't stress it.