Ready to make a change......

Options
mnvicke
mnvicke Posts: 103 Member
Hello everyone.

My name is Melissa. I'm 30 years old, and I am ready to make a positive change in my life. I used MFP for a little while in the past, just to track food. It was helpful in terms of making me think about what I was eating more than I previously had, but at that point in time, I did not have the motivation to stick with it.

I currently weigh 297 lbs, although earlier this year I topped out at my heaviest weight ever - 315 lbs.

Recently, a few things have happened that really brought my weight - and the problems I face associated with it - into full view.

First, my husband travels occasionally for business. He had to travel to Germany for a week, and I had really wanted to go with him. We discussed going for an extra week, taking a vacation after his work was concluded. Being aware that I am not a small person, I looked up the airlines and checked out how wide the seats were for economy - 17". At 17", I would be stuffed in the seat like a ready-to-burst sausage, the arms of the seat gouging into my thighs, and my shoulders rubbing up against my husband AND some poor stranger........for a fantastic 7-hour plane ride. Round trip.

In the end, I decided not to go with him. That was a real eye-opener.

Also, I am a historical interpreter. This means I wear period costume, at a historical museum, and interact with thousands of people each week. Lots of those people take photos, and some of them end up on the internet - because people love sharing photos from vacations and travels. I see some of these photos from time to time, and can only think "OMG - is that really what I look like?!?" None of these photos ever have snide comments or even allude to my weight, and I honestly doubt that they felt my size impacted their experience in any way, shape, or form.......but I want to see photos of myself and feel GOOD. I want to feel proud when sharing photos of myself - especially when it's of me, doing something I love.

So, I'm trying to get involved in the MFP community, as well as tracking activity and food, as a way of keeping myself motivated and honest.

My husband and I recently purchased a treadmill, which I will be hopefully getting back into the habit of using - even if it's just walking a mile a couple times a week.

I am also trying to change the things I cook. Cleaner foods - lean meats, more veggies & fruits, whole grains, moderate dairy, and less fats and sugars. Also, drinking plenty of water.

I plan to log in here frequently, posting updates, and would love to chat with anybody who is in the same situation as I am, or who has been and is making progress!

Thank you all!