Celery Juice for weight loss?

Options
rosebette
rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
I was in whole foods yesterday and this woman was buying several bags of celery. She told the clerk that she was following a diet book that recommended drinking celery juice every morning to induce weight loss. I had never heard any such thing, and always thought celery was one of the least nutritious vegetables, mostly fiber and water. However, my son just bought a blender and is putting all kinds of stuff together in juices and shakes. Has anyone had experience or heard of celery juice having some special benefit? I looked online, but most of the information is from companies trying to sell juicers and other products.

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Lol. No. I guess the fact it is low in calories so if you drink it in place of something high calorie, but celery juice has no magical powers. It sounds repulsive too. I don't even like regular celery unless there's peanut butter or cream cheese involved - juicing it just sounds like torture.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Nah, I don't think it induces weight loss. It's nothing more than a refreshing drink. Good thing for that lady is celery bunches are pretty cheap. I always add a stalk to my smoothie to give it a bit of saltiness.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I love celery but I pack mine with chocolate spread.

This is nonsense. The only thing that makes you lose weight is consuming less calories than you burn. It's just more woo and I think you know that.
  • Return2Fit
    Return2Fit Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Tofu wrapped in seaweed and thrice dipped in celery juice can help you lose weight.
    Just eat that for your meal...then go run 3 miles...
    :p
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

This is nonsense. The only thing that makes you lose weight is consuming less calories than you burn. It's just more woo and I think you know that.

I like the ole' standby peanut butter with raisins on celery. Although Nutella sounds divine!
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »

I like the ole' standby peanut butter with raisins on celery. Although Nutella sounds divine!

the old ants on a log, we had that in school however i hate the ants and the log so i would just eat the peanut butter. . .mmmm peanut butter.
  • machjas
    machjas Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine "juicing" celery and getting anything other than water out of it..
  • MaerMollie
    MaerMollie Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Apparently not that far-fetched: http://steptohealth.com/use-celery-to-lose-weight/
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »

That is my drool food right there but DS has an allergy so I can not have it in the house.

I actually book weekends away for me and my hubby just so we can eat peanut butter :D
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficits lead to weight loss. Celery juice sounds revolting so yes I guess this could lead to weight loss :wink:
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    MaerMollie wrote: »

Notice the end of this

"Likewise, it is important that you remember that in order to benefit the most from your daily celery juices, you need to accompany them with a balanced diet, and especially an exercise routine"

So the actual celery has nothing to do with weight loss, you just include it in your balanced diet.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options
    MaerMollie wrote: »

You didn't really believe that article did you?

Flush toxins from the kidneys, if my kidney had toxins in it then it wouldn't be celery that saved me.
  • BodyzLanguage
    BodyzLanguage Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    As someone stated, because it's low in calories it creates a caloric deficit which induces weight loss. Not the actual celery. My advice, eat what you love instead while also being in a caloric deficit.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I think some people may believe it helps to lose weight because you burn more calories eating & digesting it than celery actually contains. But drinking it means you're not chewing it and won't burn as many calories.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Sounds like slightly flavored water lol.....I'd rather save money and time and drink water
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    Return2Fit wrote: »
    Tofu wrapped in seaweed and thrice dipped in celery juice can help you lose weight.
    Just eat that for your meal...then go run 3 miles...
    :p

And then regurgitate the calories I just ate....
  • caradack1985
    caradack1985 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I thought the only real weight loss benefit of celery is that it takes nearly as many calories to eat as it contains. If you're juicing it then you don't even get that benefit!
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    I assume it works on the principle that you'll lose your appetite and your stomach contents after drinking it.
  • RebeccaNaegle
    RebeccaNaegle Posts: 236 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @CasperNaegle Maybe we should try this! Bahahahaha!