I wish I could move my fat around!

Options
*rant alert*
I'm not happy with maintenance anymore, I'm 5'10 and 140lbs so a healthy weight but it's all in the wrong place! I like the idea of recomp and have been strength training a few months now but I feel like I will never put on enough muscle to make up for the fat I need to lose so I need to diet again. Parts of me are uncomfortably thin but other parts are still really fat, I'm not even sure how much weight I'd need to lose to be happy. Do any other maintainers feel like this? I'm a bit concerned that the look I'm after will be either impossible or unhealthy, I just don't like seeing fat on my body!!

Replies

• chapiano
    chapiano Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I am the same, I lost 35kg to reach a healthy weight and then maintained for 2 years but I am still not happy and have started again on a further weight loss mission. Have you tried working out your body fat percentage?
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am similar in height and weight and sure if I could somehow carve out a waist and add that wee bit of fat to the boobs I would feel that an improvement for sure.

You look fine in your picture, maybe some of this is in your mind?

Yes perfection is impossible, but "better" is possible, you can't become a different body type but can be a better you.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    You absolutely don't need to lose more weight. Unfortunately you can't do what you want and you can't control where the fat comes off. You need to give the strength training time and maybe learn to love the body you have?

I'm 5'11 and when I was 145 I was so thin my BF was worried about my well being...so I'm pretty sure you have a case of body dysmophia...
  • Kdp2015
    Kdp2015 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    chapiano wrote: »
    I am the same, I lost 35kg to reach a healthy weight and then maintained for 2 years but I am still not happy and have started again on a further weight loss mission. Have you tried working out your body fat percentage?
    My scales put me at 18.9 I know they are far from accurate but have been consistent over the weight I've lost (45lbs down from 30%)
  • Kdp2015
    Options
    You absolutely don't need to lose more weight. Unfortunately you can't do what you want and you can't control where the fat comes off. You need to give the strength training time and maybe learn to love the body you have?

I'm 5'11 and when I was 145 I was so thin my BF was worried about my well being...so I'm pretty sure you have a case of body dysmophia...
    Thank you, that makes sense but it could also be that I have a higher fat percentage. I'm certainly not imagining the fat I see in the mirror, I also realise that bits of me are skinny I'm just not sure strength training will sufficiently switch things around
  • Kdp2015
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »
    Yes, I am similar in height and weight and sure if I could somehow carve out a waist and add that wee bit of fat to the boobs I would feel that an improvement for sure.

You look fine in your picture, maybe some of this is in your mind?

Yes perfection is impossible, but "better" is possible, you can't become a different body type but can be a better you.
    Thanks, I'd be happy with better!
  • chapiano
    Options
    Worth trying a calculator like this;

https://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/body-fat-percentage-calculator

I do agree, from your picture you look really thin. So maybe it is just physiological
  • Kdp2015
    Options
    chapiano wrote: »
    Worth trying a calculator like this;

https://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/body-fat-percentage-calculator

I do agree, from your picture you look really thin. So maybe it is just physiological
    The trouble is its only the thin bits you can see in that pic, all my fat is around the middle
  • Return2Fit
    Return2Fit Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I have been engaging a process called "body recomposition" where I maintain weight and lose fat.
    It's a slow progression involving intricate diet considerations and training routines.
    It works for others...and it's working for me - again very slowly.

If you really want those unwanted bulges diminished, google and research "Body Recomposition".
    Also, look into the type of exercises that have a body adaptation of reduced body fat like plyometrics.

I am not selling anything or trying to initiate a tedious debate. If you're really interested in addressing this issue, it means work when it comes to diet, exercise and self-education.

Good Luck...
  • Kdp2015
    Options
    Return2Fit wrote: »
    I have been engaging a process called "body recomposition" where I maintain weight and lose fat.
    It's a slow progression involving intricate diet considerations and training routines.
    It works for others...and it's working for me - again very slowly.

If you really want those unwanted bulges diminished, google and research "Body Recomposition".
    Also, look into the type of exercises that have a body adaptation of reduced body fat like plyometrics.

I am not selling anything or trying to initiate a tedious debate. If you're really interested in addressing this issue, it means work when it comes to diet, exercise and self-education.

Good Luck...
    Thank you, I am familiar with that but to stay the same weight I would need to gain as much in muscle as I need to lose in fat. If I have (for example) 7lbs too much fat, there is no way I will put on 7lbs of muscle...I believe
  • chapiano
    Options
    Yep and me! If only it was possible to target certain areas. The final bit is the hardest and you need to be ultra strict with your count. Cardio is the best stripper mixed 50/50 with strength training to really target fat. Different types/intensities of cardio will see better results to
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I can relate to that, I have the choice of either a flat stomach and everyone (especially my mother) asking me if I'm sick (because of thin face), or an inch of flab round the waist and look 'healthy'.

There is one solution which is lipo, which is frowned upon in these forums, but if money was no object I might like to get my waist done.
  • Kdp2015
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Step up your training - not your weight loss.

I'm lifting as much as i can three times a week, how do I step that up?
  • Kdp2015
    Options
    hamlet1222 wrote: »
    I can relate to that, I have the choice of either a flat stomach and everyone (especially my mother) asking me if I'm sick (because of thin face), or an inch of flab round the waist and look 'healthy'.

There is one solution which is lipo, which is frowned upon in these forums, but if money was no object I might like to get my waist done.
    Thanks, what did you decide?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Kdp2015 wrote: »
    I'm lifting as much as i can three times a week, how do I step that up?

Doing what 3 times a week?
    I see loads totally ineffective workouts in my gyms!

Are you pushing yourself to overload? Are your weights steadily going up?

By the way I'm 56 and train 6 or 7 days a week. Just sayin' :)

PS - Muscle building is slow. But when you are at goal weight small progress makes a big visual difference.
    When I was a chubster I increased my bench press by 50% and had nothing to show for it.
  • Kdp2015
    Options
    I do deadlifts, barbell rows, squats, over head press, bicep curls and sit ups. All have got heavier over the months except squats which I just try and add reps to (no rack) I thought 3 days a week was the most you could do with enough rest days?
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    hamlet1222 wrote: »

Thanks, what did you decide?

I chose to accept the belly fat, better to look good dressed.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I do deadlifts, barbell rows, squats, over head press, bicep curls and sit ups. All have got heavier over the months except squats which I just try and add reps to (no rack) I thought 3 days a week was the most you could do with enough rest days?

Nice amount of compound lifts (meh about bicep curls though...), no bench press? No other accessory core work?

How often you train depends on lots of factors from programming to capabilities to intensity.

If your lifts are going up keep going, it's working. It's not a quick process (unless you are male, young and gifted).