Should I do LCHF?

Options

Replies

• CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    TravisGM92 wrote: »
    I don't know if I qualify for calling myself LCHF, but I do like the way I feel when I keep my carbs to 150g per day. I stay satiated and don't have too many issues with hunger cravings or low energy levels. When I make sure to eat adequate protein, fat, and fiber, I really don't have to mindfully avoid carbs, they just kind of stay low all by themselves. The only things I think to restrict are sugary foods. I don't eat much bread or pasta anyway because I am sensitive to wheat. I do have to mindfully make sure I eat fat -- I usually have to add some nuts or some guacamole to some meals. I second @nvmomketo 's suggestion to just try it... adjust your macros to increase fat and fiber and make sure you eat the recommended 0.8 - 1g of protein/kg body weight. See how you do.

You're definitely at a lower carb intake than most, but if we are to assume LCHF diet means being in ketosis, generally 100g of carbs or less is required for ketosis.

But 150g of carbs a day is good!

Does that mean that LCHF diet is synonymous with Keto diet? I was going off of what nvmomketo said.

Not necessarily synonymous but one eats a LCHF diet to get into ketosis, generally. If you say "low carb-high fat" in the science community they'll assume you mean a version of the keto diet.

I usually just say that I eat a "lower carb" diet. I will continue to do just that. :)
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Do you WANT to go low carb? Then try it. It's not necessary, it's not better than any other way. If you like it and can stick to it it will work just as well as any other as long as you create a deficit.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    If it works for you and if you're going to eat like that forever - sure, it's a valid approach.

For an individual person, you might find it easier (or harder) to stick to your calorie goals on LCHF. I personally found it far too restrictive and hated it, others clearly are doing well on it.

Overall, it's no more or less successful than any other approach, it's mostly just personal preference with a bit of personal biology on top.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your feedback. I think I'm going to aim for 90g of carbs a day and see how my body reacts. This is day one of my weight loss journey and I'm determined to reach my goal.

Make sure you increase your sodium. With lower carbs you will lose water and along with that electrolytes. Increasing sodium to 3000+ mg per day will prevent this. If you get the "low carb flu" aka low electrolytes, you'll know that you need more salt. If you leave it too long you will eventually need more potassium and magnesium too.

Good luck.
    I don't know if I qualify for calling myself LCHF, but I do like the way I feel when I keep my carbs to 150g per day. I stay satiated and don't have too many issues with hunger cravings or low energy levels. When I make sure to eat adequate protein, fat, and fiber, I really don't have to mindfully avoid carbs, they just kind of stay low all by themselves. The only things I think to restrict are sugary foods. I don't eat much bread or pasta anyway because I am sensitive to wheat. I do have to mindfully make sure I eat fat -- I usually have to add some nuts or some guacamole to some meals. I second @nvmomketo 's suggestion to just try it... adjust your macros to increase fat and fiber and make sure you eat the recommended 0.8 - 1g of protein/kg body weight. See how you do.

You're definitely at a lower carb intake than most, but if we are to assume LCHF diet means being in ketosis, generally 100g of carbs or less is required for ketosis.

Does that mean that LCHF diet is synonymous with Keto diet? I thought keto required something more like 50g of carbs per day. Also, I was going off of what nvmomketo said about below 150.

Their not exactly the same. Keto is taking a LCHF diet a bit further than most people will do. If you aren't looking for the health benefits of ketones, or find that you do better managing your calories on a very low carb diet, then ketosis is not needed.

Does that mean that LCHF diet is synonymous with Keto diet? I was going off of what nvmomketo said.

Not necessarily synonymous but one eats a LCHF diet to get into ketosis, generally. If you say "low carb-high fat" in the science community they'll assume you mean a version of the keto diet.

I don't think I agree with the bolded. I often get annoyed with "low carb" experiments because they are still at 200+g of carbs. I think most people and papers assume low carb is 150g or lower. Approximately.

• TravisGM92
    TravisGM92 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Thank you everyone for your feedback. I think I'm going to aim for 90g of carbs a day and see how my body reacts. This is day one of my weight loss journey and I'm determined to reach my goal.

Make sure you increase your sodium. With lower carbs you will lose water and along with that electrolytes. Increasing sodium to 3000+ mg per day will prevent this. If you get the "low carb flu" aka low electrolytes, you'll know that you need more salt. If you leave it too long you will eventually need more potassium and magnesium too.

Good luck.

Does that mean that LCHF diet is synonymous with Keto diet? I thought keto required something more like 50g of carbs per day. Also, I was going off of what nvmomketo said about below 150.

Their not exactly the same. Keto is taking a LCHF diet a bit further than most people will do. If you aren't looking for the health benefits of ketones, or find that you do better managing your calories on a very low carb diet, then ketosis is not needed.

I don't think I agree with the bolded. I often get annoyed with "low carb" experiments because they are still at 200+g of carbs. I think most people and papers assume low carb is 150g or lower. Approximately.

I guess I should've added "that's what it's been in my experience". When I say LCHF keto in other forums I'm in, it's mostly assumed that the two are one in the same, but I guess they have their technical differences
  • gonetothedogs19
    gonetothedogs19 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    If you like steak, poultry, fish, eggs, some dairy, blueberries and whipped cream, nuts, avocados, and green veggies, and won't miss refined sugar, grains (pasta, pizza, bagels, rice), potatoes, and some other stuff, by all means go for it.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Keto is not effective at keeping weight off and can be counterproductive. Keto is a fad diet.
    Studies show that for every person who succeeds on a low carbohydrate regimen, there are three or four more who do not. In fact, the majority of studies indicate that low-carb diets are no more or less effective than other diet approaches.
    http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/health-fitness/healthy-eating/do-low-carb-diets-work?page=1
    Athletes who follow low carb diets for an extended period of time become less able to utilize carbohydrates as fuel. This is usually not to their benefit. Losing your metabolic flexibility can also increase your risk of Type 2 diabetes.
    http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/health-fitness/trends-fads/carbs-or-fat-which-is-the-bodys-preferred-fuel-source?page=1
  • bradcfairchild
    bradcfairchild Posts: 74 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    Keto is not effective at keeping weight off and can be counterproductive. Keto is a fad diet.
    Studies show that for every person who succeeds on a low carbohydrate regimen, there are three or four more who do not. In fact, the majority of studies indicate that low-carb diets are no more or less effective than other diet approaches.
    http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/health-fitness/healthy-eating/do-low-carb-diets-work?page=1
    Athletes who follow low carb diets for an extended period of time become less able to utilize carbohydrates as fuel. This is usually not to their benefit. Losing your metabolic flexibility can also increase your risk of Type 2 diabetes.
    http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/health-fitness/trends-fads/carbs-or-fat-which-is-the-bodys-preferred-fuel-source?page=1

Thank you for your comment, whether well meaning or not, they got me to read the rest of what was said in the links you shared. (I kind of think you did it on purpose). I took your statements as a rather stern, negative opinion towards low carb, high fat. Yet the links you shared, in my opinion, were rather positive towards trying it to see what this does to your body. The fact (if it really is a fact) that (keto, lchf, ketosis, etc), works for 1 out of 4 is cool! Because, I am definitely the "1" in 1 out of 4 that it works for. I do not intend to stay with it as strictly as I am at the moment but I have learned in a super clear way what "easy" carbs do to me. (Something I should have learned long ago but sugar is so sweet and tempting.) So now I will be on a journey to figure out what kinds of carbs my body handles well. I'm just glad I tried it and am learning more what my body does and does not do well with.
  • cee134
    Options

Thank you for your comment, whether well meaning or not, they got me to read the rest of what was said in the links you shared. (I kind of think you did it on purpose). I took your statements as a rather stern, negative opinion towards low carb, high fat. Yet the links you shared, in my opinion, were rather positive towards trying it to see what this does to your body. The fact (if it really is a fact) that (keto, lchf, ketosis, etc), works for 1 out of 4 is cool! Because, I am definitely the "1" in 1 out of 4 that it works for. I do not intend to stay with it as strictly as I am at the moment but I have learned in a supper clear way what "easy" carbs do to me. (Something I should have learned long ago but sugar is so sweet and tempting.) So now I will be on a journey to figure out what kinds of carbs my body handles well. I'm just glad I tried it and am learning more what my body does and does not do well with.

Yeah, I don't like the keto diet, but I do like when people take control of their diet and eat healthy and become, and stay, a healthy weight. That is the goal and why I like those links.
  • gonetothedogs19
    gonetothedogs19 Posts: 325 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    "Athletes who follow low carb diets for an extended period of time become less able to utilize carbohydrates as fuel. This is usually not to their benefit. Losing your metabolic flexibility can also increase your risk of Type 2 diabetes."

Tell that to Lebron James. The flabby/fat James of 2014 went LCHF, and look at him now. But the poor guy. He won't be able to utilize carbs as fuel. Get that man some Italian bread, Fettucine Alfredo, and a slice of cheesecake before he wastes away.

And the notion by remaining slim and fit, and minimizing sugars and grains, increases your risk of Type 2, does not pass the smell test. Being obese and sitting on your rear end all day increases your risk of Type 2 diabetes.

• cee134
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Tell that to Lebron James. The flabby/fat James of 2014 went LCHF, and look at him now. But the poor guy. He won't be able to utilize carbs as fuel. Get that man some Italian bread, Fettucine Alfredo, and a slice of cheesecake before he wastes away.

And the notion by remaining slim and fit, and minimizing sugars and grains, increases your risk of Type 2, does not pass the smell test. Being obese and sitting on your rear end all day increases your risk of Type 2 diabetes.

So what is Lebron James' diet? If it is low processed carbs and refined added sugars, than I'm LC too. I get most of my carbs from vegetables.

The smell test works better if you read what I quoted. "Losing your metabolic flexibility can also increase your risk of Type 2 diabetes."
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I believe the weight loss diet James followed was something like 50% fat, 20% carbs. Paleo-style.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    If you choose to do a LCHF variation of some sort, I would probably focus less on how many grams of carbs/fat you eat and more on controlling insulin response.

Not all carbs are "bad"
  • bradcfairchild
    bradcfairchild Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I just went back and read most of the posts in this discussion. Thanks for the question and all the comments. I'm in my second week of drastically lowering carbs and raising fat. Avocado's are my friend, I eat them at least in 2 meals a day. I counted calories, I have been slightly over most day. I'm still figuring things out. But I'm having fun doing it. I'm hungry less of the time than before I started. In fact I feel full too much so I've been eating less the longer I've been on it.

Because of comments in here, I was curious how many carbs I was eating in a day. I have been looking at mostly ratio's. I was surprised to see 55g yesterday. That's probably pretty typical of what I've done in the last couple weeks. I'm having a harder time keeping protein down. This is yesterday 1,780calories, 44 carbs, 135 fat, 101 protein (a 500 calorie deficit). This makes me happy that my calories are coming down. The really cool thing is I'm pretty sure I'm loosing fat. I definitely feel different. Good mostly! I started at 204 and saw 198 a week later. I've seen 198 a few time in the last few years but it's never happened like this. More time will tell, more experimenting will be needed. I can honestly say it's been a lot easier than I thought it would be... so far... I totally love fruit so that has been the hardest to say no to. I do not intend on passing on fruit forever. God made some things too good to say no to. (my peach tree will be ripe in a few more weeks :smile: )
  • BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/67-day-diet-lebron-james-143736107.html;_ylt=AwrBT4QnhrxX7oMAjNhXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEyOTU1ZmhiBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwM0BHZ0aWQDQjE4NzlfMQRzZWMDc3I-

Doesn't sound like this is for most normal people..or anything for any duration in regards to LeBron james.

I love how people post extreme diets and then point to it as if that is the key for everyone.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    "He only ate meat, fish, fruits, and vegetables..."

It's a wonder he's still alive eating such an extreme diet. There's no way a normal person could eat that way for any duration...
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

"Athletes who follow low carb diets for an extended period of time become less able to utilize carbohydrates as fuel. This is usually not to their benefit. Losing your metabolic flexibility can also increase your risk of Type 2 diabetes"

This is way off. I would consider low carb, and keto diets to be more metabolically flexible. We have a huge source of readily available energy in our fat stores that we can use. Keto'ers will rarely hit the wall because they won't run out of fuel. Their body is primed to use fat as an immediate fuel source whereas those who eat a high carb diet will not be able to access their fat stores with the efficiency that a ketogenic diet will allow (and to a lesser degree, a LCHF diet).

And a higher fat diet is commonly used to TREAT T2D. It does not increase your T2D risk.... Perhaps the confusion there is based on the temporary insulin resistance that would occur when one resumes eating a higher level of carbs?
  • BiggDaddy58
    Options
    "He only ate meat, fish, fruits, and vegetables..."

It's a wonder he's still alive eating such an extreme diet. There's no way a normal person could eat that way for any duration...

The person who posted this posed it as a low carb diet..because it seems LeBron was flabby and fat..maybe the exaggeration starts there?

The article also states he lowered his calories..lost 20 pounds in 67 days roughly.

The food he ate and most likely his exercise program is not something most normal people can or will do in combination.

I doubt LeBron is sitting in an office somewhere or only working out 20 minutes a day.

Or perhaps YOU do exactly what LeBron does?
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Normal people can't eat meat, fish, fruits and vegetables?!

FFS. We need a new normal.
  • BiggDaddy58
    Options
    Normal people can't eat meat, fish, fruits and vegetables?!

FFS. We need a new normal.

Cherry Pick all you wish (maybe you can only eat cherries?) LeBron is 6'8 and weighed about 270-280 depending.

The poster tried to pass this off as some miracle of LCHF. The truth is ..LeBron lowered his calories and most likely exercises more than people on here..and certainly more than a normal person.

Make fun all you like..cherry pick all you like..I see you ignored the rest of the story..because you chose to.

I get it. That's what many in these forums do. Cherry pick. so it's clear cherries are a huge part of your diet.

At his age, with his exercise programs, and his weight, he could have dropped 20 pounds in 67 days ina number of ways.

The poster attempted to pass this off as some miracle of LCHF and LeBron was flabby and fat before this new miracle.

I see you ignored all that? Must not fit in your box?