Want to Lose Weight with Mirena

Options
Hello, I just has a Mirena inserted the beginning of this month. It's been working great for me, except I am slowly gaining already and my belly is bloated. I haven't changed my eating habits or exercise yet. Has anyone struggled with losing weight with Mirena? Anway to overcome it while keeping it? I know I can exercise harder, but any other way to get around the bloated belly and actually lose weight?

Replies

• kristysaurus
    kristysaurus Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I had some bloating and cramping issues (period like symptoms) for about six weeks after insertion. After that time I was back to normal. I gained a bit in water weight and felt very bloated for that time.

I have had mine for a year and a half now and have no difficulties associated with it and have been able to lose weight (however everyone has different experiences with the IUD)

Just keep weighing and logging all of your food and keep at your calorie goal and you will lose weight
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    ALL of my weight loss is post Mirena insertion...it took about 90 days for my insert to settle and my cycles to stabilize...so give your body time to heal and stick with your calorie counts. :)
  • sadiepie05
    sadiepie05 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I lost over 50lbs with a Mirena in place. The bloating will go down after a few weeks.
  • lisalewis7588
    lisalewis7588 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    The first few weeks or months of Mirena can be difficult (for me, 3 months of hell). I gained 10lbs of water weight almost overnight. The hormonal imbalances made my weight fluctuate, like, hourly. I was basically PMSing for 3 months which did lead to some binge eating and probably some "true" weight gain as well, but I was just trying to survive.

After those first few months, things settled down and the bloating went away and I didn't get periods or PMS and I felt like a human again. I was certainly able to lose weight. It wasn't any harder than before Mirena.

I had mine removed after a year, though. I was one of the "lucky" 10% to develop ovarian cysts because of the Mirena and those things are RIDICULOUSLY painful when they burst.
  • MrsK20141004
    MrsK20141004 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as the OP. I had the Mirena put in a month ago. Prior to that I lost 7 lbs over 3-4 weeks. Nothing else has chafed and my eating and exercise improved but I've gained about 10 pounds now. So my loss is gone and three more have appeared. I want to be patient but I'm so frustrated with my weight.
  • Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I had some bloating and cramping issues (period like symptoms) for about six weeks after insertion. After that time I was back to normal. I gained a bit in water weight and felt very bloated for that time.

I have had mine for a year and a half now and have no difficulties associated with it and have been able to lose weight (however everyone has different experiences with the IUD)

Just keep weighing and logging all of your food and keep at your calorie goal and you will lose weight

This was my experience exactly!
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I didn't have any issues losing weight after mirena placement. When I eat at my usual deficit for weight loss I lose my usual amount.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I lost all of my weight after my original Mirena placement 5 years ago. Had a new one inserted in June and felt kind of cruddy (bloated, moody) in the month afterwards, but that has subsided. There is some other stuff going on in my life right now (my dad has been diagnosed with cancer and I had ACL replacement surgery in May that is preventing me from doing all of the things I love to do) so I can't even be certain that the yucky feeling was all the Mirena...
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    The contraception might increase your appetite, but ultimately, weight loss/gain is about the calorie in v calorie out equation. Are you consuming more calories than your body needs? If yes, then you'll gain weight.