Convict Conditioning Question

Options
I started convict condition around a month ago, it's going well. But the book says to start out working out only twice a week until you reach level 6 in each of the four exercises when you add the extra two exercises and work out three times a week. My question is, can I up this to maybe four times a week? So upper body twice a week and lower body twice a week instead of once each? I feel I could increase the number of days but won't do it if it's not a good idea.

Sorry if this sounds like a ridiculous question!

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Do the program as written.
  • caradack1985
    caradack1985 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    2 days does just seem very little. My plan was to not increase reps throughout the week so I wouldn't be pushing faster through the plan, just doing an extra day.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    it's to give your body rest.
    like running, many people start their general fitness goals too fast and too much

do the program as directed and then do something else the other two days until the program has you going 4x a week. perhaps yoga or pilates to maintain you flexibility. foam rolling could be useful as well providing release to your muscles
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I've always felt that program took an excessively conservative approach.
  • caradack1985
    caradack1985 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    it's to give your body rest.
    like running, many people start their general fitness goals too fast and too much

do the program as directed and then do something else the other two days until the program has you going 4x a week. perhaps yoga or pilates to maintain you flexibility. foam rolling could be useful as well providing release to your muscles

I appreciate that rest is an integral part of strength training, but I don't feel my muscles require six days of resting, they'd still be getting four days. Also, frankly, I'm finding it harder to stick to something I only do two days a week. I can always cut back later if I feel it's getting too much.
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    I've always felt that program took an excessively conservative approach.

^Agree with this. He actually writes about having patience in a section of the book, but to me it seemed like he was conflating issues of bad form, overtraining, and stupidity.

Also consider the progressions are written for and suited to men more than women. Getting to level 6 in pullups is 2 sets of 10 pullups. If I followed that, I still wouldn't have touched bridges to this day. I'd say let your own recovery be your guide and start out conservative about it.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I'm a believer to follow a program until you understand what it does for you, then tweeting it if needed. Sometimes it takes a year to get a grip on it if you're newer.
  • LazSommer
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    I'm a believer to follow a program until you understand what it does for you, then tweeting it if needed. Sometimes it takes a year to get a grip on it if you're newer.

@chieflrg I think you didn't mean what you said. I'm not exactly sure how twitter would help, in this case.

...tweaking.
  • sdauback
    sdauback Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Twerking is also very good exercise.
  • LazSommer
    Options
    sdauback wrote: »
    Twerking is also very good exercise.

show us the way