Donating a kidney

Options
Hello everyone!

I am looking to try and donate a kidney to my mom and I was wondering if people had some encouraging words or if anyone has been a donor. I needed to lose 30lbs before I could start the testing and I am already down 15. Any comments/suggestions would be great!!

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Very generous of you, good luck.
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I have no experience with this - but the best of luck to you!! You've made great progress with already losing 15 lbs, so keep it up!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    My mom is a kidney recipient, what you are doing is awesome. Good luck, I'm sure you'll manage to lose the rest of the weight!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    My father donated a kidney to my mother three years ago. It has been a VERY positive experience for our family. He did this at age 70 and has had no negative effects on his own health so far. His recovery was very quick.

Make sure that you are fully aware of the risks involved. It's unlikely that you will have problems, but being prepared for the possibility is important. Your transplant team will help you with this, but look into it on your own too so that you can make sure to ask the right questions.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    My best friend (since I was 12) donated a kidney to her daughter almost 15 years ago. Said daughter was 9 at the time.

And this can have a positive outcome for more than just your mom. Losing the weight will probably have health benefits for you as well.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Why do you all have to make my eyes sweat?

Good luck to you and your mom, OP. You're doing a wonderful thing.
  • Troutsy
    Troutsy Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    That's an amazing gift you are giving OP. My father received a kidney and we ended up meeting thr donors family. Turns out it was a young lady that didn't make it after a car accident. She donated organs to 8 people though. ( I'm all for organ donation)

Keep up the good work. You're half way there.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I lost a kidney to cancer when I was about 30, it was removed and I've not had any issues since. Pretty easy recovery. You're doing a great thing.