I keep gaining weight

Options
I'm very disappointed in myself. I was determined to use the summer to my advantage to lost weight, but I've only gained about 4 pounds. as of two weeks ago, I'd lost 2 lbs, but I weighed myself today, and I'm I've gained 6 lbs since then. I haven't been eating any differently these past few weeks. I'm not sure why I keep gaining weight. I'm fed up.

Replies

• Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Well, you can't gain weight unless you're eating more, how are you measuring your food?
  • Nyappykim
    Nyappykim Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Are you, uh, weighing and logging every single thing you eat?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    This chart created by @lemonlionheart may help:

a37btb7mxb3t.jpg

It's possible the extra weight is simply water since it's not really that much. Otherwise, if you're gaining weight you're eating more calories than you think you are. Odds are, your portion sizes are not inline with what you're entering into your diary. Here's a great post about keeping a food diary that might offer some insight: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10191216/the-most-important-thing-you-can-do-to-lose-weight

If you still have questions, please ask.
  • aliem
    aliem Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    You should also consider when in the month you weighed yourself. I know that when my time of the month comes, the week before i gain anywhere from 2-4 pounds. Also, are you weighing yourself at the same time every day? If you just ate or drank a ton of water right before weighing yourself, I have seen my weight fluctuate up to three pounds from that. Also, you should be careful weighing yourself on gym scales or several different scales. All of them are different. If they are at the gym, people can mess with the balance of the scale. If you aren't using your own scale, I would recommend buying a cheap one and using it at home. That's why I try to weigh myself every morning (before eating) and do a 10 day average. SueInAz could also be right when she says it could be water weight.

Otherwise, keep of the effort. Maybe step up your workouts. Try something new. If you are walking 3 miles every day, maybe every few days do those 3 miles at a hilly location or up the speed on the treadmill or start incorporating weights (even small ones or body weight counts!) You can do it!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    It could be thyroid or water weight or many things. Get a tape measure to use instead of the scale.
  • JDixon852019
    JDixon852019 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Weigh your food, you are over eating
  • chapiano
    chapiano Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    jrulo16 wrote: »

^^^^^
  • aliem
    aliem Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    jrulo16 wrote: »

I feel like she would notice she was eating more between losing her 2 pounds and gaining 6. Assuming she is holding things constant, there is probably another reason. However, learning portion sizes is definitely key in losing weight!